It’s Hat-errific!

November 28th, 2007 by Mike Nelson · 14 Comments

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketWelcome to a bright new future here at the Rifftrax blog, a future that will include, among other things, actual posts by me, Mike Nelson. Yes, daily, hourly, perhaps evenly minutely and, very rarely, secondly, I will be posting my thoughts on pop culture, food, people’s haircuts, the works of 70’s oddity Michael J Pollard, long, dry treatises on Jacobean theater, a few sentences on why I hate blue cheese, and many other important and relevant topics.

Honestly, though, it will largely focus on hats. It would be called Hat Blog if I had my way. But no – the heartless money men behind the scenes here at Rifftrax dog piled me in a meeting, dangled loogies in my face and flicked my head repeatedly until I promised not to call it Hat Blog. (My ribs still hurt and the red mark on my forehead is just now beginning to fade.) Still, they can’t stop me from indulging my love of hats. I promise to provide you with an enormous amount of information on every kind of hat you can imagine, and a good deal of the fabulous hat designs I sketch in my spare time.

Joining me from time to time will be some special guests: familiar faces here at Rifftrax, as well as some surprises, fine and witty writers who, if we’re lucky, will hold forth for 40-50,000 words on their love of hats.

And finally, look for a steady stream of material from Rifftrax own Conor Lastowka. Conor has been a vital member of the Rifftrax team since day one, and if you’ve enjoyed a Rifftrax, you’ve enjoyed his fine writing as well as his behind-the-scenes machinations on all things Rifftrax. We’ve largely kept him a secret until now because, well, he’s also working for some CIA front or something, gathering intel on “something, something, blah blah blah” – I don’t know, I wasn’t really paying attention when he was explaining how it was critical that we not reveal his identity.

Hats, people. Hats.

• 1 ShutterBun on Nov 28, 2007 at 11:59 am

What was that about hats, again?

• 2 Tim on Nov 28, 2007 at 11:59 am

I’d have to say the most impressive thing about this blog is the fact that you obviously traveled into the future to post it tomorrow, November 29, 2007. I trust that in the far-off future world of November 29th, we are not yet enslaved by a highly-intelligent race of apes, and that you were not forced to don a loincloth?

• 3 torgosPizza on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:01 pm

No, that’s what we do on “Loincloth Friday.”

• 4 Courtney on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:15 pm

I like hats. I’ve been known to wear them on occasion. But let’s leave hats alone right now, because the real story here is that you are writing this from the future. You wrote this tomorrow, the 29th. Today is the 28th. You have magical powers that make me happy to be in your MySpace top friends. (because in today’s world (or even tomorrow’s, when you’re writing this), that is the equivalent of being a wizard’s apprentice.)

• 5 Courtney on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:16 pm

And by the byskies, I didn’t see any replies when I wrote mine. Tim, I did not mean to basically just steal your reply and make it my own. Apologies. But sometimes when you’re dealing with blogs from the future, you’ll have that.

• 6 torgosPizza on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Yeah sorry about that. Had the time offset wrong. We are back in the present, now. :)

• 7 Tim on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:22 pm

No harm. Indeed, we all seem to be future versions of ourselves when posting comments here. I wish the me who is typing this in the future right now could give the me from yesterday a heads-up on what to expect in the next 24 hours.

• 8 Courtney on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:30 pm

I wish my office would implement a Loincloth Friday. Sounds quite comfy.

• 9 Mike Nelson Blogs Around « deep ape on Nov 28, 2007 at 1:42 pm

[...] That elsewhere is the ol’ RiffBlog. You can check out Mike’s RiffBlog intro post here, where he also mentions that Rifftrax employee Conor will also be sharing his wisdom with us. (And [...]

• 10 Joy on Nov 28, 2007 at 1:58 pm

hey mike, is there a feed address for your blogs?

• 11 Joy on Nov 28, 2007 at 2:21 pm

found it! up in the top right-hand corner!

• 12 Brain Blog Round-up: Transitional Edition « deep ape on Dec 4, 2007 at 8:11 am

[...] J. Nelson It’s Hat-errific! Welcome Myspace Readers My Love is Like an Old, Old, um, Custard… More Christmas Gift Ideas! [...]

• 13 Sampo on Dec 13, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Welcome to the blogiverse, guys.

Three thoughts:

1. If you see any movie or any footage of anything from before about 1955 you will note that every man on the screen is wearing a hat. Look at photos of old baseball games from the 30s. It’s summer. It’s hot. But every man-jack has a fedora on. You just didn’t go out without one. It’s widely believed that JFK killed the men’s hat’s business by not wearing one to his inauguration, and in general after that. I am in favor of the IDEA of men’s hats (at least in cool or cold weather) but there are two problems with staging a fashion comeback. First, men no longer know how to buy a hat, so all too often they buy things that make them look like Stan Laurel or Huggy Bear. And unless you are Stan Laurel or Huggy Bear, you don’t want to look like that. The second problem is that men’s hat stores don’t exist (much)–that’s how dead JFK killed the industry. Of course, walk into almost any mall and look at the kiosk that tells you where things are, and you will find a hat store. But when you get there you will NOTHING BUT BASEBALL CAPS. A cap is not a hat–well, okay, it is a KIND of hat, but it’s hardly a replacement for an ACTUAL hat. There. Hats.

2. Thanks for the blogroll link. You guys rock. And…

3. Beware: The comment spam should start right about…..now. From one who knows.

• 14 opidarbubcoda on Feb 6, 2008 at 7:30 pm