Lately I have been pining…

December 13th, 2007 by Bill Corbett · 23 Comments

…for life in Austria during the 1980s. Very common, I know. Who hasn’t felt that, now and again?

But recently it has become a bona fide obsession with me, and I find myself willing to forsake everything — family, friends, country, and the entire time-space continuum — just to be an Austrian in the amazing, shoulder-padded 80s.

Why?

Answer below.

• 1 Bill Corbett on Dec 13, 2007 at 7:21 pm

“We do not need any love on this planet.”

So… true!

• 2 mrbasehart on Dec 13, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Now that’s just embarassing. Not just for the band, but for Austria and the 1980s in general. Funny as hell, though.

• 3 Shawn on Dec 13, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I kept expecting it to turn into The Final Countdown, for some reason. It just seems like it should.

• 4 Onil on Dec 13, 2007 at 8:25 pm

This is either an Austrian remake of The Wizard of Oz or a barbecue at Sid and Marty’s house.

• 5 Kevin on Dec 13, 2007 at 8:43 pm

I’m glad they finally got the video feed into Schwartzenegger’s basement up and running.

• 6 BF on Dec 13, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Austria in the 80’s is just a poor man’s version of Germany in the 70’s:

• 7 Bill Corbett on Dec 13, 2007 at 9:22 pm

“Dschinghis Khan?”

I always thought it was spelled Dszghscineghiizscsz Khan.

(Nice to see that Yul Brynner had a 2nd career as a German backup disco dancer, though.)

• 8 John on Dec 14, 2007 at 12:34 am

I think I died a little bit inside now.

• 9 Tim on Dec 14, 2007 at 2:32 am

I always thought the Austria of the late 1930’s would have been a utopia, what with all of the von Trapps and the lederhosen.

Obviously that era of Austrian greatness has been surpassed, as the 1980’s clearly ushered in a new golden age.

• 10 QuackersnCheese on Dec 14, 2007 at 5:28 am

Having been a kid in the 80’s I now have yet one more thing to add to my ever growing list of what not to brag about. Let’s see there’s Madonna, Micheal Jackson, Star Trek 2, 3, 4, 5 … Weird Al, The Smurf’s, The Snorks, Hulk Hogan’s Rocking Wrestling, and the list goes on… The Smurf’s ya know the sad thing is I never saw how wrong that show really was. I mean 100 men and only 1 woman what the $%&@!!! The Snork’s were no better with the under the sea theme, I swear in one episode the squid pet dog thing Oky or whatever, cut one I saw bubbles come from the wrong place.

• 11 Edgewriter on Dec 14, 2007 at 7:43 am

I kept hoping that the dude with the bag over his head would finally suffocate. I swear his lips were getting bluer and bluer, but still he persisted in finding some way to get air enough to keep talking.

Still at the end though, while he was pretending to be saddenned by the fact that his buddy joined the triplets at the swinging german sex toy, (and who wouldn’t) I prefer to think that he was finally dying and trying to cover it up by turning his head away.

• 12 QuackersnCheese on Dec 14, 2007 at 8:10 am

Wow I just thought he was wearing one of those full body condom’s.

• 13 Edgewriter on Dec 14, 2007 at 8:36 am

Oddly enough it wasn’t until a year later after all the deaths related to this video that parents in Austria started telling their children “not” to put plastic bags over their head.

Two years later, the phrases “Don’t run with scissors” and “don’t stick your tongue to the flagpole” also cane into Austria’s parental landscape.

• 14 jsg on Dec 14, 2007 at 11:38 pm

That’s the chord progression from the buffy theme song. Right about 0:50

• 15 mccloud on Dec 15, 2007 at 8:43 am

Well, at least the green guy double, er, triple bagged it.

• 16 Bill Corbett on Dec 15, 2007 at 10:53 am

Wow, you’re right.

Innnnneresting.

• 17 Nanner on Dec 15, 2007 at 8:42 pm

You know, if you strip down all that 80’s stuff, it ain’t a half bad song… but then I am of Danish origin, and would think such things =P

• 18 Nanner on Dec 15, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Great observation! I’m pretty sure Buffy decapitated a few of those guys too.

• 19 jsg on Dec 15, 2007 at 10:10 pm

Any song where you get to say “düse düse düse düse” is fine in my book. I think every song should incorporate at least one “düse.”

• 20 Bill Corbett on Dec 15, 2007 at 10:28 pm

You know, if you strip down all that 80’s stuff, it ain’t a half bad song…

Psssttt… don’t tell anyone. but I agree. I actually find it kind of catchy.

But I’ve been known to have horrible taste, as you can find out here:

• 21 Tony on Dec 16, 2007 at 3:08 pm

I think I like this “translated” version of Moscou better:

• 22 ShutterBun on Dec 16, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Suddenly the music videos of “Flight of the Conchords” seem well crafted and not at all silly. (relatively speaking, anyway)

• 23 Bill Corbett on Dec 17, 2007 at 7:56 am

Holy smokes, that translation thing is hilarious.