Thank You San Francisco!

January 20th, 2008 by Kevin Murphy · 29 Comments

Rifftrax Live at SF Sketchfest

Thanks for making Rifftrax Live at the SF Sketchfest such a blast. We were treated like old friends by a sell-out crowd at the gorgeous Castro Theater. Many thanks to Sketchfest founders David Owen, Cole Stratton and Janet Varney and their team who work their keesters off to put on the best festival of its kind. The Sketchfest still has another week, capping it with a rare performance by The Kids in the Hall, so enjoy, you lucky people, while I freeze here in Minnesota.

Also thanks to Bill Longen and the staff of the Castro, certainly the coolest place in the city to see a movie. Please check out their schedule, in particular Noir City, the upcoming ten-day film noir festival. Also thanks to the organist, whose name I didn’t catch, but who pounded out covers of sci-fi movie themes to the cheering throng.

Most of all, my thanks to you folks who attended, laughed and cheered. You inspire us to do more and better. We’ll be back.

-kwm

Tags: Events · In the Media · Kevin · RiffTrax · RiffTrax Live! · Riffer Blogs · movies

• 1 Veronica on Jan 20, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Ohh jealous! I hope someday you’ll all come to the East Coast… which is also very cold – sorry.

It’s great the Kids in the Hall performed – they had a really funny tour a few years back, but I can understand why they’d stop. Touring seems very difficult.

• 2 doggans on Jan 20, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I concur, visit the East Coast sometime. Specifically, the New Haven area. :D

• 3 captian phil on Jan 20, 2008 at 1:09 pm

well i didnt get to go :( but i did have some fun of my own at

i was watching previews before cloverfield and they showed the star trek preview after it faded to black i quoted team America “Matt demon”
    i never made a full theater laugh before it felt good

• 4 Queen Bee on Jan 20, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Yes, exactly! “Come back” here in the East, so that we, too, may shower you with love and subzero temperatures.

• 5 Mario "Asteroid" Panighetti on Jan 20, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I had a blast! The Castro Theatre was a great venue (I don’t think I’ve ever seen it packed so densely). The organist’s rendition of the MST Love Theme was just perfect!

Oh, and Kevin said a dirty word. ^__^ Good times for all.

• 6 Kei on Jan 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I third this motion.

• 7 devin on Jan 20, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Thank you all for making the trek out here to put on such a fabulous show! My wife and I (and the other ~1500 people in attendance) had a wonderful time.

Looking forward to your return!

• 8 Rufus T on Jan 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Florida is calling……

• 9 Meredith on Jan 20, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I’d like to point out that Boston, while cold, isn’t at subzero yet. So now’s a good time to visit.

• 10 Bill Corbett on Jan 20, 2008 at 8:36 pm

A big hearty ditto to what Kevin said. Cripes, that was fun.

Many thanks to our hosts, and to all who joined us.

As for other venues, in non-San Francisco places… I’m going to post a blog entry on it soon.

The preview: we’ve traditionally only visited or performed somewhere when we’re asked by an organization, event, etc., that has its own structure. We’re shy, retiring types, and don’t like to impose ourselves on people unless invited, you see.

But it’s too much fun, so we’re going to look into ways to make it happen more often, and hopefully in other places.

Tuscaloosa, here we come!!

• 11 Dallas on Jan 20, 2008 at 9:41 pm

I said it before on the other thread, but it’s worth saying twice: That was awesome. Come back soon!

• 12 Drewcifuge on Jan 20, 2008 at 9:53 pm

You guys had me crying less than 10 minutes in. You’re still the masters and I can’t wait till you come back!

• 13 GregMcduck on Jan 21, 2008 at 12:22 am

And thank you, Kevin, for going along with your “somebody here will buy me a bear” statement.

Oh, no, wait, YOU DIDN’T!

Naw, I’m just poking your ribs. It was an amazing show, and I hope you guys come back to the area soon!

• 14 Onil on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:05 am

If you guys ever do go on tour, you should get matching outfits like The Polyphonic Spree or Up With People.

• 15 Natureboy (Ken) on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:27 am

Go on tour…..you whimps….you need to do it for the groupies alone! If the cast of Troll 2 can have a successful tour, you guys definitely can. At least show up for Dragon-con.

• 16 Jason Baker on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:54 am

I knwo you were probably kidding, but if you did come to Tuscaloosa (AL), I would… I dunno. Be overjoyed? It’s hard to put into words!

• 17 Edgewriter on Jan 21, 2008 at 10:21 am

No one bought Kevin a bear? Come to the county fair with my family and I will win you one at the ring toss you big lug.

• 18 Darth Chimay on Jan 21, 2008 at 11:29 am

Thank you all for entertaining us. It was bloody hilarious.

One thing though, and this is really just more a piece of advice… please don’t allow Bill to distract us from the bad movie with a sexy fan dance next time. It just wasn’t worth it.

• 19 Mr. Neutron on Jan 21, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I was totally willing to buy you guys a beer, but you ran out of the auditorium and I couldn’t find you to do the buying! What a tease!

• 20 Virginia Corbett on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:34 pm

You saying he’s not sexy? If you are, I gotta disagree.

• 21 The CAD Files » Thanks, Nameless Organist on Jan 21, 2008 at 11:56 pm

[...] for instance). And the Rifftrax people just did a live show in a theater, and wrote about it here. But the quote that caught my attention was this one: Also thanks to the organist, whose name I [...]

• 22 Darth Chimay on Jan 22, 2008 at 10:31 am

No. He just shouldn’t have used electric fans.

• 23 A.M.P. on Jan 22, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I’m way out East near Buffalo, NY so I didn’t get to see this show. I did, however, just listen to the new recorded Plan 9 Rifftrax, and aside from the frequent synch problems (I was watching the google video version), it was great! This really is a dream come true. I even ordered a signed copy of the DVD from this site. Thanks guys! You really should come to Buffalo some time. I recommend July during the chicken wing festival.

• 24 Brian O. on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:11 am

But will you play in Peoria?

• 25 Rifftrax Live Happened, By The Way « deep ape on Jan 23, 2008 at 5:15 pm

[...] found on SFist. The guys are looking good and healthy… whatever that means. Kevin Murphy also blogged about the event, where they riffed Plan 9 From Outer Space. He seems pretty happy with [...]

• 26 Going to Church: Rifftrax Live at the Castro Theater | Medialoper on Jan 25, 2008 at 1:15 pm

[...] A Year at the Movies is about traveling the world while watching at least one movie a day, seemed awed by the sheer gorgeousness of the Castro Theater. Thanks, Kev! We like it, [...]

• 27 smallerdemon on Jan 25, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Thank you guys for a fantastic show yet again. We are delighted to have you here. I know we make our East Coast neighbors green with envy when you come to visit us. :) You three have riffing down to a fantastic art of performing that in all the years of watching MST3K I never though could really be performed live, but I have been delighted to have been proven wrong TWICE now (I saw Over The Top last year at Sketch Fest as well). I’m delighted that you see your way to come see us. You are always welcome here. (When do we get more Film Crew, btw?)

• 28 casino program best online on Jul 27, 2008 at 6:12 pm

casino online worldwide best gambling casino best online

• 29 healt blue insurance on Jan 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm

insurance healt care insurance healt and