THE ROAD TO THE MOST AWESOME STATE QUARTER!

January 24th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 13 Comments

2008 is already old news to many of you, but there are still many great things to look forward to this year. It’s a leap year for one. And the Olympics are always fun. (The universe may come to an end on May 20th, but who’s counting?)

150px 2006 Quarter Proof

But the truly exciting thing about 2008 is that it marks the final year of the US Mint’s State Quarters program, which has been the single greatest reason to get change since my senior year of high school. We’ve had a great run thru the various designs each state has picked to represent itself, and frankly, I’m sad to see it go. After this year, never again will you have the thrill of receiving a quarter back from the vending machine, glancing at it and remarking to yourself, “Huh…Remind me never to go there.”

After the final 5 designs were announced, I decided it was time to crown the true king of State Quarters. The only way to do this, obviously, is through a Final Four style bracket. Fifty coins enter, one emerges the victor and can claim the title of “Most Awesome State Quarter!”

Here’s how it works. I considered dividing up the entrants into regions based on themes. Animals (Kansas), People (Alabama), Boasting About Your State (North Carolina),and Miscellaneous (Wisconsin). But I decided that to do so would take a lot of the fun of unexpected matchups out of the picture. I decided to pick names out of a hat and fill in the first 50 seeds of a 64 seed bracket based on the order they were drawn. This might make for some lopsided first round matchups, but it could also result in some fun designs going head to head. Because of the uneven nature of 50, some quarters received first round byes. The criteria for victory will be decided soley upon which quarter I think is better, it has nothing to do with the quality of the state (rest easy New Jersey.) Nothing is decided ahead of time, anything can happen!

The bracket is presented below. Action in the first region will begin soon. I hope you’ll join me on: THE ROAD TO THE MOST AWESOME STATE QUARTER!

State Quarters Bracket

Click for a bigger look, or right click and save

The State Quarter page on wikipedia offers the easiest layout, best image quality and an obscene amount of random information about them (go figure)

You can click on the “State Quarter” category link in any article to see the entire series nicely summed up

Tags: RiffTrax · bracketology · currency · silly · state quarters

• 1 Tim on Jan 24, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Glad to see all of my hard work has been rewarded. I lobbied hard to get Missouri (my state) a first-round bye in the McConaughey Regional bracket.

• 2 Insert Coin(s) to Continue on Jan 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm

As one may guess, I, Insert Coin(s) to Continue, am very interested in everything coin-related. I even submitted my design for the “Design the Washington Sate Quarter” competition … I just put Gary Coleman’s head on the quarter because who is more deserving of a spot on the quarter? I KNOW that George Washington can’t TOUCH his “Watcha talkin’ ’bout, Willis?”

…So he’s not from Washington, but, come on. Gary Coleman is more of a Jungian universal idea than the physical representation of the manchild we all see on TV.

• 3 Dallas on Jan 24, 2008 at 11:23 pm

I’ve got fifty bucks on New Mexico to take the title. C’mon, who wants a piece of this action?

• 4 Melman on Jan 25, 2008 at 1:56 am

I’m in.

• 5 Barry on Jan 25, 2008 at 5:38 am

The good news is that the US Presidents dollar coin line has started. If you want these coins from circulation, it’s a bit tougher to obtain them than it was for the quarters, but change machines at post offices and public transportation (such as light rail) are usually good places to find them.

• 6 Matt B on Jan 25, 2008 at 11:59 am

Dude, Alaska’s going to take the crown. They’ve got a frigging bear on their quarter!

• 7 SarahCanuck on Jan 25, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I must raise one protest – Keanu is Canadian. Well, and Arnold is Austrian, but he’s ruling a kingdom anyway, so whatever.

• 8 Brandon on Jan 26, 2008 at 12:02 am

Conor! Didn’t you hear? They’ve extended the program through 2009 to include Washington D.C. and five other territories, including Puerto Rico and Guam. You’re doing this too soon!

Of course, these six extra quarters don’t really count as STATE quarters, since they aren’t rightfully states, so I suppose you could get away with this.

• 9 Conor Lastowka on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Yes, Alaska is currently a heavy favorite in Vegas

• 10 Conor Lastowka on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Please see this link for the true story regarding those coins:

• 11 lstrblg » Battle of MST3K Stars on Jan 29, 2008 at 6:51 am

[...] RiffTrax: Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy Audio tracks to be played while viewing DVDs Advantage: New and dying-to-be-mocked films, a library of over 50 flicks (including the Star Wars Christmas Special) and the completely necessary battle of the state quarters. [...]

• 12 Riff Trax - state quarters « moonlit garden on Nov 13, 2008 at 12:44 pm

[...] If you need something to kill time rather than work/do chores/write for NaNoWriMo/avert the apocalypse, then check out Riff Trax’s state quarter battle. [...]

• 13 Palmer on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:07 am

You will need to update the bracket to included the five new coins and the five region coins that are set for next year.