Which is truly more dangerous?

January 30th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 40 Comments

Violent video games still seem to be a major concern of our society. I have seen recent PSAs alerting parents that the games their kids are playing may be…inappropriate! And somehow, video games are still mentioned as a concern of leading presidential candidates. Yet, I ask you: Do video games, in any conceivable way, pose a greater risk to our children than the fact that they might at some point in time, stumble across a rerun of Zoobilee Zoo?!?

Let’s put it to a vote:

Which is more dangerous to children...
View Results

• 1 Michael on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:15 am

So cold…….

• 2 Jef on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:24 am

“Welcome to Zoobilee Zoo?” Nay, Welcome to HELL!

• 3 ig400 on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:32 am

God, I must have just had one of those Nam flash-backs they talk about so much. Chilling!!!

• 4 Propaniac on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:43 am

I loved Zoobilee Zoo and I don’t think I’m damaged, beyond the uncontrollable impulse to say, “Hey! It’s the guy from Zoobilee Zoo!” whenever I happen to hear or see anything about Ben Vereen.

• 5 Jen on Jan 30, 2008 at 9:55 am

Excellent point, but don’t forget the terrors of children’s programming we are still facing today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9PqjMSNfkU

Also – who’s the lone vote for GTA? What are you trying to prove?

• 6 Bill Corbett on Jan 30, 2008 at 10:05 am

Arrrrggghhhh!

FURRIES!!

• 7 Yanni on Jan 30, 2008 at 10:18 am

I honestly cannot see any benefit of tricking the youth of America into thinking there are anthropomorphic animals who can sing and juggle at the same time. While some may argue that GTA is corrupting our children, at least it teaches them how to handle real-life situations on the street, like how to deal with prostitutes and crime lords. I know I find myself using this information on a weekly basis. At least.

• 8 LemSlaw on Jan 30, 2008 at 10:32 am

Special guest star Bubbles the Chimp, so does that mean Mr. Jackson was going to be on the show, looked around and thought this is too strange and said you can use my ape instead.

• 9 wurwolf on Jan 30, 2008 at 10:50 am

I think I saw a quick shot of some yiffing going on in the background. :x

• 10 MikeP on Jan 30, 2008 at 10:58 am

Let’s not forget the horrors of New Zoo Revue.

• 11 Brian O. on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:07 am

Or Meet the Feebles.

• 12 Brian O. on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:08 am

I voted for Zoobilee Zoo, it’s the gateway drug to the slippery slope that is the caraway seed under the dentures which is society’s curse of publically condoned fursuiting.

• 13 Rob T Firefly on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:26 am

Ben Vereen is a gateway drug.

• 14 Johnny B on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:37 am

OK, well, I was undecided at first, but two hours have passed since watching this clip and I’ve still got that effin theme song on repeat in my head. Now? My inner child wants to eat your skin.

• 15 Michael on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:38 am

*whimpers*

I didn’t know what a furry was. So I looked it up.

I don’t feel good….

• 16 MikeP on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:39 am

Or anything by Sid and Marty Crofft. Want to get your kids hooked on drugs? Suck back on that!

• 17 The Professor on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:41 am

It took me years to get the Zooblilee Zoo theme song out of my head. Now you , Mr. Lastowka, have put it back in. Curse you, man. CURSE YOU!

• 18 Neb on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:50 am

At least it’s not Xuxa:

• 19 wurwolf on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:56 am

Whatever you do, don’t look up zoophiles.

• 20 Johnny B on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Gaahh! WHY did I click that link!? I mean, you even WARNED me!

• 21 Brian O. on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Or plushophiles… Or, no matter what, cubs *shudder*.

Makes the furry stuff I draw for a pseudo living look downright normal.

• 22 Johnny B on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:09 pm

or ‘yiffing’

• 23 Conor Lastowka on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I know I shouldn’t ask…but, Yiffing?

• 24 Brian O. on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Yes, you shouldn’t.

• 25 Brian O. on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Weep and despair:

• 26 MSTJedi on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Exactly why I haven’t watched the video there. I vaguely remember the theme song being insidiously catchy and I’d rather not have that in my head the rest of the day.

• 27 Neb on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Why don’t they look? *sigh*

• 28 Bill Corbett on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

“Let’s not forget the horrors of New Zoo Revue.”

Coming right at me?

• 29 wurwolf on Jan 30, 2008 at 1:01 pm

One of my favorite MST riffs was from Teenagers From Outer Space. The old guy is putzing around his house and Servo starts singing the New Zoo Revue song. Totally cracked me up.

Just thought I’d share.

• 30 The Professor on Jan 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Oh, I didn’t watch the video! It just came rushing back into my brain.

• 31 Ninjew on Jan 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I must admit to a bizarre sexual attraction to Wuzzat the pink Kangaroo…

• 32 Meredith on Jan 30, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Is it me, or do a lot of the kids the that video look more scared than happy?

• 33 MikeP on Jan 30, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Thank goodness I’m not alone.

• 34 JakeS on Jan 30, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I had previously forgotten anything that happened between ages 3 and 4. Now I have one memory back. 100% of my memories from that era are therefore tramatic ones.

• 35 Joel on Jan 30, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Wow, that is some truly haunting nightmare fuel.

As a child, I was unfortunate enough to be exposed to the cultural runoff known more formally as “Zoobilie Zoo.” Call this anecdotal, but as a young adult I now find myself suffering from the following mental disorders:

~Depression
    ~Social anxiety disorder
    ~Generalized anxiety disorder
    ~Obsessive compulsive disorder
    ~Agoraphobia
    ~Avoidant personality disorder

Are these issues hereditary? Are they the result of a simple chemical imbalance? Or are they the tragic result of long-term exposure to Satanic Circus…er…Zoobilie Zoo? You be the judge.

• 36 Cornjob on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:30 am

I think Zoobilie Zoo and Grand Theft Auto work in tandem. Zoobilie Zoo serves the important purpose of teaching kids about Ben Vereen, and then after watching it they can put Grand Theft Auto in their Playstation and take out their freshly accumulated rage on the digital denizens of San Andreas rather than on their fellow children at school or on the playground.

• 37 The Family Jules on Feb 2, 2008 at 12:36 pm

i was raised on PBS, evil dead 2 and bad horror movies.

i think i came out okay. i guess its bad shores on the horizon for those raised on zoobilee zoo and gta.

• 38 Curds on Feb 3, 2008 at 9:37 am

Conor has mentioned the Huggabunch Kids before. And now he brings up Zoobilee Zoo? There should be a support group for us.

• 39 Niki on May 21, 2008 at 5:15 am

What are you smoking? Zoobilie Zoo taught the same lessons as Sesame Street, but without talking down to children. It helped children learn to love and understand music, art, dance, and theatre. It also taught them how to take care of friends, without making them feel like children. It taught them to appreciate everyone, no matter what their differences were. Oh no, appreciation, love, respect, and mental growth. What a horrible combination

Grand Theft Auto Helps people understand: murder, rape, dangerous driving, disrespect for themselves, the police, and society.

Yea, so Zoobilie Zoo, that’s the dangerous thing. How dare we make children understand the finer things in life instead of how to harm others.

You people need to re-evaluate your priorities.

• 40 Niki on May 21, 2008 at 5:21 am

You need to move. There are entire societies that never see that.

And TRICKING kids? So, you’re saying that children can’t tell the difference between tv and reality? Okay, that’s just sad.

How did the rest of us survive? Did you watch bugs bunny growing up? Did you think you were a rabbit? Did you watch sesame street? Did you think you were grover?

Teach children to tell the difference between real and fake, and this won’t be a problem.

And you – move. Get to a small town, out of the cities – and suburbs. There’s money to be made elsewhere – and there aren’t drug dealers everywhere.

And, yes, I’ve been to 4 different countries and over 20 states in the US alone, I can honestly say that I have seen both your situation and something different.