Dr. Caligari meets MTV

January 31st, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 16 Comments

caligari.jpg

plus

realworldkeywest.jpg

equals

(N.B.: Yeah, reality TV parodies are pretty old now — approaching “white guys rapping” status. But I thought this was an original take on it. And you know how the kids these days love their 1920s German art movement satire!!)

• 1 Ninjew on Jan 31, 2008 at 7:58 pm

They say that through the internet, EVERYONE will enjoy 15 minutes of fame.

Not me.

I couldn’t make it past the first 10 minutes of that movie…

• 2 MikeP on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Aw, you ducked out before it got to the Dick in a Box part!

Bill’s fondness of the piece cannot be properly understood unless you watch all the way to the “Dick in einem Kasten” section.

• 3 Yanni on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:05 pm

I’d be pretty pissed too if Baron Samedi was hitting on my girl and ate my cereal.

• 4 MikeP on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I for one was pissed off when I tuned in to the Surreal Life only to find that Salvadore Dali wasn’t involved. Hey, I love washed-up celebrities as much as the next guy, but would it have killed them to melt Corey Feldman in a surrealistic fashion. (Note: this may have killed Feldman, but what is art without sacrifice?)

• 5 Bill Corbett on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:11 pm

“would it have killed them to melt Corey Feldman in a surrealistic fashion.”

They could have at least issued Flavor Flav an oversized melted clock to hang around his neck.

• 6 MikeP on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Or a melted Brigitte Nelson for around his… nevermind.

• 7 Onil on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Not enough shadows. Still not gloomy enough. I felt that their souls were insufficiently black and wretched.

• 8 Mr. Slick on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Well I hope the German government doesn’t censor their video like they did the orignal.
    Damn Germans!

• 9 Bill Corbett on Jan 31, 2008 at 8:46 pm

True, it probably could have used a pinch more Verzweiflung, and a dash more Trostlosigkeit.

And an insane midget.

• 10 waffen on Feb 1, 2008 at 7:44 am

Meine Seele ist jetzt schwarze als Nacht!

Nein nicht wirklich aber ich scheine nicht, Ein zu haben.

• 11 waffen on Feb 1, 2008 at 7:49 am

Ich habe vergessen, hinzuzuf├╝gen, jetzt die Zeit auf Zahnr├Ądern, die wir tanzen!

• 12 Michael on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:20 am

Ugh that made my soul slump. I think I’m gonna go watch the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins to clense it.

• 13 Bill Corbett on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:29 am

Ah, good old Babelfish. Translates your 2nd reply as:

“I forgot to add now the time on gear wheels, which we dance!”

• 14 waffen on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:41 am

I couldn’t let any fake German TV show go without a Sprockets reference.

“Now’s the time on Sprockets that we dance!”

every time I use bablefish to translate german it always comes saying something about invading Poland….Strange, really

• 15 Veronica on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:51 am

HA! Oh man, this brings back such crappy memories of art school film-majors.

Be careful, when you make fun of them they get even moodier! And even MORE repressed!

• 16 ldt on Feb 2, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Dated instantly to this blank generation. How? By that guy with the chin-strap beard. Yesterday at the mall I saw a youth who’d addapted the Jeff Lynn of ELO look. What is going on ???!!