Which “food” is Grosser?

March 5th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 34 Comments

lutefisk

Lutefisk – A Swedish dish that’s like jellied cod covered in some hideous cream sauce. Slides down like drinking out of a spittoon. Eaten as a Swedish rite of passage in Minnesota.

penoy

Penoy – Fertilized Duck egg. Eaten by former RiffTrax graphic artist JP on family holidays.

Oysters1

Rocky Mountain Oysters – Testicles, (the animal varies), pounded flat and deep fried.

Which is grosser?
View Results

*UPDATE BY MIKE*

1000 year-old egg, anyone?

egg

The yolks are liquid? They smell like ammonia? No?

You sure?

Tags: RiffTrax · food

• 1 Dan on Mar 5, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I was the only one (so far) to vote for Rocky Mountain Oysters! Do I win a prize or something?
    Truly, all of those were creepy, disgusting foods. Looking back on it now, I probably should’ve went for penoy… there is just something eternally bad about that picture…. but I’m what they’d call an impulse voter!
    Howard Dean in 08!!

• 2 Artist Aaronius, Formerly Known as Aaron on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I must say, i have had rocky mountain oysters, and they were not that bad. Ok, but what nationality is that fertilzed egg food?

• 3 Beautiful Houndstooth on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I tend to think almost anything is edible if it’s deep fried so can’t be the danglers. I watched a guy eat the embryo on the Food Network. He said it looks gross but wasn’t really too bad tasting. It was sorta like having chicken and eggs all rolled into one dish. I have never ever heard anything positive about lutefisk though. I’d have to vote for that one.

• 4 Cibernetico 2 on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:20 pm

yeah i thought they were called balut

• 5 Tv Miller on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:21 pm

All of those look delicious after just eating at Checkers.

• 6 Su Fabie on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Actually, that “penoy” delicacy is actually a filipino torture device that my mom used to try tricking me into eating when I was younger. Also had the power to make most Americans cry and vomit when you show it to them. But its actually called “balut” (bah-loot).

And those 1000 year old eggs (century eggs) stink.

Su

• 7 Su Fabie on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Just to add, the texture is both chewy and slimy due to the duck embryo and yolk sack with a hint of crunchy texture from the tiny barely formed bones. And if you were lucky the embryo was old enough to grow feathers to add another delicious layer of texture to this meal.

• 8 MikeP on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:27 pm

None of those are nearly as gross as Italian Maggot Cheese.

Excuse me while I retire to the vomitorium.

• 9 Fortis on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:49 pm

anything with testicles is gross…I’ve actually seen lots of cows getting castrated several times when I was an early teenager. Trust me, Rocky Mountain Oysters are the grossest thing on this list.

• 10 karen on Mar 5, 2008 at 6:40 pm

they all sound gross! ewww! How about saying “NO thanks!!!!” as opposed to “Let me eat this gross thing that you call food….”

I voted RMO before I saw the other picture. who…what….why…!!!!!!

There should have been a choice to say “EVERYTHING!!!!”

I will leave to go “RALPH” please excuse me.

• 11 Onil on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Penoy and balot are essentially the same thing. Penoy is just the egg with a less developed embryo.

I’ve only ever had the balot once. I do remember having itlog na maalat (salted egg) on a regular basis because it was an easy breakfast food.

• 12 SEISMIC on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:11 pm

That is just wrong!!! Maybe Bill should write something about the one voted the grossest!!

• 13 Avalyn on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Lutefisk is actually Norwegian, not Swedish, although the Swedes readily throw caution to the wind and consume it. Words cannot do justice to how utterly vile it is.

• 14 Digits on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I would try the RMO without hesitation. And REALLY love it. (ex husband issues)
    I like raw fish. I could deal with the raw fish. Probably even enjoy it. Because I am just that odd.
    Fertilized half grown baby bird? NEVER.
    Gross 100 year old egg? Not in your lifetime.

• 15 Neb on Mar 5, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Lutefisk is hardly raw…technically. Unless you call freeze dried cod bricks that are then soaked in lye and then soaked in fresh water (changed every day for a week to get the lye out) “raw”. I was raised by Norwegians. Lutefisk is a Christmas delicacy in my family. I do NOT eat it, because to me it tastes kind of bland. My dad, however, makes “Norwegian burritos” by rolling it in lefse. This is very creative for a Norske, so I actually applaud his efforts (especially since he doesn’t expect me to eat any).

• 16 Natalie on Mar 5, 2008 at 8:32 pm

I have friends who live in China and apparently the thousand year old eggs are big there. One morning my friend sent her husband out to get eggs for pancakes and he came back with a whole bag of them. They look white with black specks on the outside so he thought he was doing okay, but when you crack them open, they’re just black nasty things.
    She says she often sees people just snacking on them in the street.

• 17 MikeP on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:26 pm

So if we took every gross item discussed here and tossed it all together in a crock pot, what would we get?

Sick. Really, really, ill.

(But still preferable to haggis.)

• 18 Conor Lastowka on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Kevin has actually agreed to eat the one voted the grossest.

• 19 Conor Lastowka on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I believe they were Filipino. Our sound guy Rick also said, I think, that they were a Navy rite of passage where people would eat them the first time they crossed the equator.

• 20 Bill Corbett on Mar 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm

“Kevin has actually agreed to eat the one voted the grossest.”

…while wearing a sexy dress.

• 21 bob the hog on Mar 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm

How To Eat Balut.

• 22 Seismic on Mar 6, 2008 at 6:23 am

Wow! Is it my birthday?!?!?!

• 23 Onil on Mar 6, 2008 at 6:37 am

Looks like the balut is running away with it. Tip for Kevin when he’s eating it: you will need beer, pork rinds, salt and vinegar to go with the egg.

• 24 Jacobi on Mar 6, 2008 at 8:04 am

Yeah, I heard about the maggot cheese a while ago. Just the fact that you can hear the maggots all crawling around… oh… ugh… *barf*

• 25 Rob T Firefly on Mar 6, 2008 at 8:51 am

I like the thousand year old eggs, except I tend to eat them after just three minutes or so of prep rther than the full thousand years. I’m a modern guy with schedules and deadlines, man!

• 26 amanda on Mar 6, 2008 at 9:12 am

Then they weren’t cows. Or else they have some real identity problems.

• 27 Seismic on Mar 6, 2008 at 9:28 am

And I am hoping for a red dress!!

• 28 R.A. Roth on Mar 6, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Dear God, who thinks this stuff up?

Hmm. You know what would really complement our cheese fondue, Honey? MAGGOTS!

For me, it’s intravenous feed from now on.

Randy

• 29 Riff-Martian on Mar 6, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I say throw ‘em all together for a full meal and wash it down with some of that poop-coffee! YUM!

• 30 Samuel on Mar 9, 2008 at 2:15 am

I can’t believe a cooked chicken fetus in an eggshell (balut) is deemed worse than some animal’s smashed and fried testicles. You people need to get your priorities straight! Sure, watching my grandma eat balut scarred me for life, but if I had seen her slurping down some smashed, fried testicles I think I’d be a serial killer right now.

• 31 TheTick on Mar 18, 2008 at 7:01 pm

It’s really too bad this guy isn’t still doing his thing.

• 32 Lisa on Mar 24, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I’ve had the misfortune of attending a lutefisk dinner. That shit was like glue mixed with chunky snot *gag*

mmm deep-fried testicles.

• 33 Dakota on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I’ve lived in Colorado for about five years now, and I didn’t know what Rock Mountain Oysters were until about a year ago. I was horrified, but the fact that they serve it at a local restaurant in my town makes me think that there are a lot of people who want them.

• 34 japs on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:30 am