I’m Worried About Bill.

March 26th, 2008 by Kevin Murphy · 20 Comments

Folks, please join me in my concern for fellow Riffer Bill Corbett. A series of seemingly unrelated events has been strung together by his latest bizarre missive renouncing, of all things, bacon.

It started as a lark, a curiosity really; last Saturday morning when I was preparing to cook some lovely bacon, our pup Boomer began barking furiously as he does when he spots a squirrel or a guy from Clean Water Action. But the moment got more curious when my spouse Jane called from the other end of the house, “Kevin, is that a bear?!” I ran to see what the hell she was referring to, but too late. Ever on the ball, though, Jane managed to snap a picture of the event:

billfoot

It would not be uncommon to spot a bear in this neck of the woods, though very rare, especially one so mangy-looking and shy. But now here’s the odd part: When I returned to the kitchen, the bacon I was preparing to cook was gone. I assumed I’d misplaced it, because I’m always misplacing bacon, putting it in my coat pocket or folding it into my wallet for later, then forgetting. But this was special bacon, the excellent Theilen bacon made up Pierz way, the stuff that I couldn’t find after one of Martha Stewart’s assistants declared it delicious. I wouldn’t misplace Theilen bacon, it’s too thick to fit in the wallet. It was gone.

prudhomme

Then this morning, I read Bill’s disturbing post. A chill went up my neck and I raced for the phone. No answer at the Corbetts. He’d told me he was spending the week back east with family, but I had my doubts. The the final item hit me like a pork quarter tossed at me by a hog-cutter: A news bulletin about Paul Prudhomme, master Cajun chef and inveterate bacon lover, who was shot. Shot with a.22 slug from a gun never found. Shot, allegedly, while cooking bacon.

maplebaconlollyChef Paul was merely grazed, thank God, but suddenly it all came together, like the strands of fat as they entwine with the rich belly meat in my purloined Theilen’s. I still can’t bring myself to say it. I still don’t know what to do. I take solace in my only remaining box of maple-bacon lollipops.

Pray for our friend Bill, please. Bring him back to us, and to bacon. I urge children and dogs everywhere to bend a knee.

Pray for Bill

Tags: Bill · Events · In the Media · RiffTrax · bacon · food

• 1 Inspector Dim on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:17 am

Wait, I’m confused. Bill now hates bacon because a bear shot Paul Prudhomme?

• 2 Ninjew on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:02 am

I thought Paul Prudhomme was really Dom DeLuise…

• 3 Rufus T. on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

Bill is not beyond help. We can rebuild his love of bacon. We have the technology.

• 4 The Professor on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

I can’t buy into your”Billfoot” theory. I mean no criticism of Mr. Corbett, but he does not have that much hair on his head. Perhaps we should be looking for him in Texas where he is undoubtedly going to cause harm to the fine gentleman with the chicken fried bacon establishment.

• 5 JackTheRIFFER on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:01 am

Bill!! Please!! It’s not too late! I can nurse you back to health. Please! Come back to us, honey!

• 6 Onil on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:22 am

Lies! Propaganda!

This swift-baconing of Bill is reprehensible.

• 7 Olcas on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:29 am

The pigs have brainwashed Bill for his confusing of Bono only last week…

Pigs are huge U2 fans…

• 8 Fran in the Pan on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:55 am

I think you’re reading a bit too far into this, Kevin. Didn’t you think that Boomer might’ve had his own motives? I think the culprit may be someone in your own home…

• 9 JackTheRIFFER on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:15 am

I like that…. I think we will all have to replace swift-boating with swift-baconing from now on.

• 10 Courtney on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:33 am

Prudhomme (French for “prud man”) was shot not only while cooking bacon, but while cooking bacon at a golf outing tournament thingie. If Bill renounces golf as well, we’ll know the culprit.

You can remove yourself from the crime scene as much as you want, Corbett. All the pieces are falling into place.

• 11 Deep Throat on Mar 26, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Kevin, I don’t have much time so I’ll keep this bacon, err, brief. You are closer than you think. Bear, Bill, Paul, they all have four letters. I’ve said too much. I’ll contact you bacon, err soon.

• 12 JackTheRIFFER on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Aha! The game is afoot! Jack also has four letters!

• 13 edgewriter on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Just saw the Meet Dave trailer.

• 14 Deep Throat on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Jack! Damn. I was hoping to keep you out of this. Jack is a nick name for John. -J J-. Jimmy Walker said things would be Dyno mite. This could have explosive implications. When was the last time you… did you hear that click just now? I have to go.

• 15 MikeP on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I’m worried about Bill for a different reason. I heard from a friend of a friend (and it doesn’t get more reliable than that) that Bill has developed an unhealthy fixation on the cheerleader from “Coffeehouse Rendezvous” and has squandered vast amounts of his personal fortune on attempts to locate her.

One of the highly-paid private investigators supposedly told Bill that the cheerleader was last seen rallying pep at an anti-bacon function at a pepperoni factory. Hence Bill’s shocking renouncement of the holiest of all meats.

Hi-Hi-Hi-Hustle, indeed.

• 16 Casey on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Traumatizing events in my life stir up an unholy desire in me to renounce Bacon.

But then I just reflect on the goodness of Bacon and such horrible thoughts just disappear.

Bacon is good isn’t it?

• 17 R.A. Roth on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Blockbuster movie idea:

All Dogs Pray for Bacon

The story of a boy, his dog and their search for the mythical bacon of the gods, Hambrosia.

Randy

• 18 JackTheRIFFER on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Don’t worry. My real name is Bill… Shit! That has four letters in it! Damn! So does shit! Uh oh, so does damn! Run for your lives!

• 19 Roper on Mar 26, 2008 at 3:12 pm

This was inevitable, no man quits bacon cold turkey.Ned Beatty must be warned!

• 20 AmandaGal on Mar 27, 2008 at 3:55 am

But Paul Prudhomme uses chorizo in his recipes more than he does bacon. He has always been a chorizo supporter.

This just gets more and more confusing.