Get your Hairy Monsters Straight!

March 27th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 8 Comments

Few things can bring a dignified cocktail party to a screeching halt like getting your Hairy Monsters mixed up. I can’t tell you the number of top shelf martini’s I’ve had spittaked on me by monocled members of the upper class, the number of country clubs I’ve been forcibly removed from, from a simple act of Hairy Monster confusion. But that was in the past. Now that I’ve straightened myself out, I am the one spittaking martinis all over the place and stamping “DENIED” on Ivy League admissions essays based on other simpletons Hairy Monster confusion. Let’s get started.

herry

HERRY MONSTER – When you think of the phrase Hairy Monster, you’re likely thinking of Herry Monster. Please note the spelling. It’s incredibly important.

harry

HARRY MONSTER, on the other hand, is the more obscure of the Hairy Monsters, but has the typical spelling. For those of you who are confused by the fact that this guy is never specifically referred to as Harry Monster by any of the adorable tykes/always available to chat grownups on Sesame Street, I direct you to his Muppet Wiki page (It’s like Wookiepedia for Muppets.) Harry can be seen here very confused at the Monster Disco. His idiocy may explain his failure to land bigger roles.

sully

SULLY, despite being Hairy and resembling Herry, is not named Herry, Harry or Hairy. This is probably because the producers of Monsters Inc felt they were treading a thin enough line as it was.

That should clear everything up. For now.

Tags: RiffTrax · muppets

• 1 Olcas on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Evolution is a strange mistress…

• 2 Beautiful Houndstooth on Mar 27, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Herry is really one of the most underutilized Sesame Muppets if you ask me… and everyone should ask me about these things.

• 3 Artist Aaronius, Formerly Known as Aaron on Mar 27, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Herry Monsters uni-brow makes me think that he may be Italian.

• 4 gammer on Mar 27, 2008 at 5:52 pm

When I was attending college, I worked part time at a grocery store. The name I put on my name tag was ‘Hairy’. To understand the joke in this, please see my pic here. There…you get it now?…pretty damn funny!
    Some folks didn’t get though…

Although I jokingly called myself ‘Hairy’ then, I never did think of myself as a ‘monster’. Though I probably have a few ex-girlfriends who do :P

• 5 Artist Aaronius, Formerly Known as Aaron on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:11 pm

man, i gotta get my pic on there somehow!

Oh, i don’t get the joke….

• 6 Barry on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I thought Sully was the piano-playing construction worker who couldn’t get a word in edgewise around his friend Biff.

• 7 Danny on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:59 am

If you want to keep your Sesame Street monsters straight, this is the place to go:

• 8 Ant on Oct 7, 2008 at 8:21 am

True, but he wasn’t a monster! You’re lucky I’m not holding a martini!