Churros Zen

March 28th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 31 Comments

This churros stand, which was discovered on my first ever trip to Tijuana, truly speaks to the conflicted nature of Mankind. Honestly, at the core of our being, what are we all other than a churros stand apologizing for its lack of churros?

Churros No Churros

Link to hi-res version here

Tags: RiffTrax · silly

• 1 dignan on Mar 28, 2008 at 7:48 am

A similar thing happened to me when I went to Kentucky Fried Chicken, and they said they were all out of chicken.

• 2 Onil on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:04 am

Just last Thursday, my wife went to a Belgian waffle place without any waffle batter.

And once we had a birthday dinner for my sister at a steakhouse that didn’t have any steaks ready. Every cut of steak they were all like oh so sorry, fresh out.

• 3 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:12 am

I’ve had that happen there too. Though honestly, I’ve never felt quite the same about KFC after I got the piece with the deep fried feather still attached. True story, sadly.

• 4 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:12 am

“One churro, please.”

• 5 Bill Corbett on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:21 am

Did they at least have Pepsi?

• 6 Conor Lastowka on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:24 am

That’s actually an ad for isd3d, it’s like a Mexican Perrier. And they were out of it

• 7 Jacob_Taylor on Mar 28, 2008 at 8:52 am

No delicious Churros

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 Tim D on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:15 am

“Honestly, at the core of our being, what are we all other than a churros stand apologizing for its lack of churros?”

I am living my life without a soul, so I get it.

• 9 Inspector Dim on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:36 am

Better than finding chicken innards in the middle of your chicken. I’ve had THAT happen, although it wasn’t at KFC. I just refuse to ever eat at Popeye’s again.

• 10 Inspector Dim on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:37 am

At least they’re consistent when they’re telling you to pay at the register.

• 11 gammer on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:38 am

I didn’t get this at first, but thank you Conor for posting the hi-res image.
    You have to “pay inside at the register”. Oh man, I so want to pay for this outside!!! damn it!

p.s. I went into one of the dozen Tim Hortons (Canadians know what I’m talking about here) in my hometown once, and they were out of coffee.

• 12 Indianadelae on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:57 am

I’m from Buffalo, and during my darker, grad-assistantship-less days (last year), I worked as a shift supervisor at Tim Horton’s (or Timmy Ho’s, as we in the B-lo know it). I’ll be the first to admit it, we frequently ran out of coffee. There were times when we had to make de-caf and serve it as regular, or serve regular that was hours pasts it’s 20 min. Always Fresh mark. What made it so sad (the funny kind of sad) was that my particular branch had the highest rating for any of the US stores.

The world never knew we were playing God by messing with people’s coffee, but I feel guilt to this day. It’s nice to get that secret off my chest. Maybe now the hockey-mask -clad ghost of Mr. Horton will leave me alone.

• 13 Bairman on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:58 am

I’m impressed by the craftsmanship of their electricians.

• 14 Indianadelae on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:59 am

And cross out the ” ‘ ” in Tim Hortons my response. I momentarily forgot Tim Horton doesn’t obey the rules of punctuation.

• 15 Dave-o on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:15 am

yeah so i work at starbucks and we often (sadly) run out of brewed coffee or brew decaf that was ground a couple of days before (24 hrs is standard) or given regular coffee for decaf. At night, when i was still closing people wouldnt get the brewed coffee (always getting those damned frappuccinos) and we would rock it foreward to reset the one hour self timer…watch out for those flashing lights,(affectionately called ‘christmas lights”) if you see that at a starbucks the coffee’s over an hour old and subsequently if its been sitting there long enough, is not being warmed. And yes i agree the world is oblivious to those playing God with their coffee…muahahahaha! by the way, i didnt say any of this.

• 16 Dave-o on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:16 am

ive gone to Taco Bell for 4th meal before and alas was greeted with a “Welcome to taco bell, we outta meat…”

• 17 Riff-Martian on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:22 am

They serve meat at Taco Bell? I thought that was some strange meat substitute.

… IT’S PEOPLE!!!

• 18 Dave-o on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:25 am

yah a buddy of mine that used to work there told me the “beef” they use is a grade just above rancid…they just cover it up with all those spices…yeeesh! I was goin for steak or chicken…

• 19 The Cutter on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:29 am

Honestly, there is alot of insight in that metaphor. It’s like having Peanut Butter without Jelly, Wipeout without Drums and Shelley Long without Ted Danson.

As far as them being out of Churros, I’d be more concerned with getting the ticket that which promises food. First one to receive one of those is getting the first Churro on deck, baby!

• 20 The Cutter on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:31 am

I just like how the sign read, “we outta meat…”

The funny thing is, I bet that’s exactly how it read.

• 21 gammer on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

Wait!…a Ti-Ho’s in the USA!?!?!?!

Damn it! I thought that place was ‘our little gem’.

• 22 Michael on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:50 am

The only thing worse than this is if Wendy’s ever ran out of the Baconator.

*shudders*

• 23 Indianadelae on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:50 am

Oh, Tim’s been shacking up in Buffalo since the late ’80s. Here they’re located approximately every 500 feet, which I am told (and have seen in Ontario) is the same ratio as in Canada. I’ll take a large double-double and a Honey Crueller at Tim Horton’s over a light-and-sweet and a French Crueller at Dunkin’ Donuts anyday.

We are eternally grateful to your wonderful land, by the way.

• 24 gammer on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:15 am

We are eternally grateful to your wonderful land, by the way.

Not a problem. Every time we send one of our top scientists, doctors, actors…and/or resources to the US, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, because I know its appreciated ;)

p.s. we have something in Ontario, Canada that is similar to a Churro. Its called a Beaver Tail

• 25 Dallas on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:46 am

“It’s not much of a churro shop, is it?”

“Finest in the district!”

“Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.”

“Well, it’s so clean, sir!”

“It’s certainly uncontaminated by churros….”

• 26 Tim D on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:11 pm

“Stop that bloody Mariachi music!!!”

• 27 Olcas on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm

‘Get your food with ticket’

Who’s Ticket when he’s a home, and why should I eat with him?

• 28 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm

My cousin lived in Central Mexico for a few years. You would be amazed at the rats’ nests that pass for quality electrical work on the sides of their homes. I can only imagine what the insides of the walls look like.

• 29 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Bravo, you two! Well done.

• 30 Tim on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Shortly after crossing the border into Mexico, were you greeted by a fresh gust of urine-scented wind, as I was when I visited Tijuana?

• 31 RemmieBarrow on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

A churro stand without churros is the first sign of the end of the world.