Rifftrax had nothing to do with this political ad.

March 28th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 42 Comments

You’d be excused for thinking otherwise, though.

Please enjoy these highlights:

1) At 01:03 — older woman on left becomes transparent, literally, as her clothes blend in with green-screen background.

2) At 01:27 — first appearance of floating John McCain head.

3) At 01:41 — multiple McCain Dolls begin to pour down from the firmament.

4) At 01:59 — lead singer begins to “wash” herself with John McCain. (Ewwww…)

5) In general — the best damned musical performance yet by George Costanza’s mom.

My question to you, panel:

Is this in earnest, or an oddly hilarious satire? I honestly can’t tell.

(But let me respectfully ask that you not turn the discussion below into a political slugfest. There are much better sites for that, such as here. Thanks.)

• 1 dignan on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I think that bit where John McCains are raining down outside the window might be in tribute to Journey’s After The Fall video. Maybe not though.

I can’t tell whether it’s serious or not either. I think if it’s serious and just misguided, it’s a little funnier. And also, a little sadder.

• 2 Slashy21 on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:49 pm

So… painful… to… watch…

I could not finish watching it. It hurt all my senses to see that… Well, not touch. I could not feel it… or smell… because I cant smell it… However my sense of taste was extremely offended.

• 3 dr9553 on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:55 pm

THANK YOU BILL! (Well i know you didnt write or produce it but thank you for posting it on here) This absolutely made this whole week of hard drive crashes, slowness at work worth dealing with.

• 4 rubberpants on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Wow, that was painful. I think my kidneys just switched places.

• 5 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:29 pm

No kidding! Thank you! I’ve had such a crappy week and to end it on this was so wonderful! I haven’t laughed so hard since I can’t remember when. I don’t know what’s funniest, the three girls at the office who got together to do this, the horrible It’s Raining Men takeoff, or the John McCain missiles. If I had to give it to one thing, it’d be John McCain’s disembodied bouncing head. Thank you thank you thank you! That was so fun. I’ve got to watch it again.

• 6 Jacob_Taylor on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:34 pm

CURSE YOUR BACONY EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

• 7 RemmieBarrow on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I do not know whether to take this as a political satire or not. If it is, it is genius. If it is not, it is just plain sad.

• 8 David on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:38 pm

This message was brought to you by the Democratic Party.

• 9 Su Fabie on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:38 pm

“A McCain music video? That sounds wonderful! *looks*
    Oh nooooo! I was wrong!!!
    I was so horribly wrong!!!”

*eyes and ears are literally just rotten holes now*

I vow revenge for my innocent senses. *shakes fist*

CORBETT!!!!

• 10 Darth Chimay on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Is this the first presidential candidate to be turned into a verb? And just how does one get absolutely John McCain? Or is it John McCained? Either way, it sounds rather naughty.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a six pack of Horace Greeley and I plan on getting utterly Schyler Colfax tonight.

• 11 Lavaughn on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:57 pm

My vote? I believe that, like most great satire, it’s completely unintentional on the part of the makers. See: Political conventions and Keanu Reeves “acting” career.

• 12 Onil on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:00 pm

It has a good beat and you can wage a hundred year war to it.

• 13 Bill Corbett on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Eat YouTube, SuFabie!!!!!

(…please?)

• 14 gammer on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Did anyone else thing that the leading ‘black lady’ in this video looked like those alien’s from Fifth Element?

*shivers*

• 15 JackTheRIFFER on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Wow, I was just LMAO at my desk. My coworkers think I’m nuts (not that you guys don’t think that too!)

• 16 Hugh on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm

In regards to the 1:03 occurrence you mentioned, I do believe that that was Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott accidentally(?) losing her pattern in mid-transport. Fortunately(?) he was able to compensate by rerouting the pattern buffer through the dylithium crystals.

• 17 mathey on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm

The image of the woman “washing” herself with the cascade of miniature John McCains has got to be the most disturbing thing I’ve seen in a long time. Thank you for scarring my brain case.

• 18 Darth Chimay on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Put the mustache on her and she *is* Scotty.

• 19 Action Batch on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Soooo, if he wins are we going to have to be McCain’d on a regular basis? Will they set up McCaining centers? Will there be some kind of PA system to tell us when we are due for McCaining?

• 20 amanda on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm

McCaining sounds like something that happens at a Filipino McDonalds.

• 21 Chuck Jordan on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I don’t know much about politics, but I do know that cleansing my face with John McCain leaves me feeling fresh and invigorated. And he doesn’t dry out your skin like other candidates can.

• 22 Bill Corbett on Mar 28, 2008 at 4:16 pm

“Thank you for scarring my brain case.”

You’re welcome. At Rifftrax, Customer Satisfaction is Job Forty-Seven One!

• 23 karen on Mar 28, 2008 at 4:20 pm

ew. b ad video. i guess this is what you tube has come down too in any case…..

anyone can play on youtube!

it is the intertubes after all…

• 24 Darth Chimay on Mar 28, 2008 at 4:25 pm

As long as it isn’t anything like Rickrolling, we’re safe.

• 25 Phil on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Was anyone else kind of turned on by this? no?

• 26 Rob McMonigal on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:40 pm

As the others have said, I think it’s sincere, as anyone trying to do something this bad would have given a clue somewhere along the line.

So what’s next, you ask? (what’s that, you didn’t?)

It’s Blizzarding ‘Bamas?

A last minute attempt by a runner up, “It’s Hailing Huckabees?”

Somehow I don’t think “It’s Coldfronting Clintons” has quite the same ring to it. But hey, who am I to judge?

• 27 Tyrant on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Actually, I do believe you’re the only one. Congratulations!!!

• 28 kie on Mar 29, 2008 at 1:57 am

I want my mommy.

• 29 edgewriter on Mar 29, 2008 at 6:36 am

I can see the new soap ads now.

“I shower with McCain every morning!”

That is almost as scary as the phrase:

“I shower with Hillary every morning!”

• 30 MikeP on Mar 29, 2008 at 9:57 am

I see nothing amusing about this. It is a very serious, thoughtful, argument that has never been made in such detail or with such care.

Vote Krankor!

• 31 The Cutter on Mar 29, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I like how the girl on the right gets virtually no face time and is the cutest one there…of the McCain fans…singing about John McCain…Yeeaahhh.

Also, McCain Shampoo and Conditioner. The first thing he’ll do in office; create a showering gel that will make you look like a shriveled up, old white man. “Our research team found that by doing the opposite of what current soaps do, we could make you look like a politician!”

• 32 The Cutter on Mar 29, 2008 at 4:43 pm

You’re right. Some how, no matter what a female washes with (whether it be Thumb Tacks, Pringles or John McCain) it’s still erotic and sexy.

• 33 New Ham Sandwich on Mar 29, 2008 at 6:59 pm

I have seen enough scary and frightening things in my life to be able to say, with confidence, that this HAS to be a sincere attempt to bolster what must be perceived as McCain’s currently weak campaign strategies. Paul Schaffer is spinning in his grave. Well, he would be. If he were dead. And sane. Thanks for the nightmare fuel, Bill.

• 34 MonkeyCheezPants on Mar 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm

To quote Kent Brockman: “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; democracy simply doesn’t work.”

This is why.

• 35 MonkeyCheezPants on Mar 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm

And not to pick on the big-boned among us, but… what does it mean that the chubby girls dig McCain?

Have they seen Cindy McCain?

• 36 Brooke on Mar 30, 2008 at 11:29 am

My heart goes out to Mrs. McCain… she must be so very concerned now! Random tonedeff people singing for her husband. And with the ability to phase shift individual parts of their body! I’m greatful I don’t have such talented competition for my man… or perhaps i just can’t see them… hmm

• 37 Elizabeth Young on Mar 30, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I don’t know why but I am a bit turned on by the video. Perhaps it’s the idea of soaping myself up with fat drippings hidden inside McCain’s old man skin folds or the fact that he can dislocate his own head like a Madballz and visit me at night, whispering sweet political promises into my ear.

I don’t know, maybe my medication is off.

• 38 Dave on Mar 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Ungh.
    I think this burned my eyes and ears.
    This should come with some sort of notice: “Do not watch right before bed.” “Not recommended for people who like music.” “Rated QS for Questionably Sincere.” “Not recommended for human use: side effects may include but are not limited to headache, nosebleed, catatonia, reefer madness, spontaneous combustion…”

• 39 Samuel on Mar 31, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I don’t want to sound sexist, but shouldn’t pro-candidate videos have good looking hotties? While we may consciously agree that true beauty lies within, our libido emphatically disagrees.

• 40 Chuck J on Mar 31, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Man, the lead McCain girl really doesn’t like it when people make fun of her. She posted another one in response where she sticks it to the haters, and she gets pretty worked up. I wonder if Disappearing Mrs. Costanza knows her band mate is using that kind of language? She’s gonna have to wash her mouth out with John McCain.

• 41 Chuck J on Mar 31, 2008 at 9:38 pm

(Whoops, I missed this on the front page. Sorry!)

• 42 Tim on Apr 9, 2008 at 5:57 am

I want those 2.5 minutes of my life back.