Spontaneous food court musical.

March 30th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 16 Comments

I’m not a big fan of making people an “audience” without their consent, but this has a nice, light-hearted spirit to it. Kinda brilliant:

The group doing this is called Improv Everywhere, and you may have already seen this rather amazing stunt they pulled off:

For the record, though — I can’t condone or recommend Improv Riffing. But if you choose to indulge yourself at the local mall seventeen-plex, do wear a full body armor. I still wince remembering the beating I took when doing a spontaneous public riff of Schindler’s List.

• 1 Katie M. on Mar 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Re the Grand Central Station vid — I would have IMMEDIATELY assumed it was a stunt. You’re in NYC fer cryin out sakes!! LOL! I love how the people just start poking them….

• 2 Elizabeth Young on Mar 30, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I think I might try the “frozen” bit next time I’m visiting family, although the time I “accidentally” swallowed an entire bottle of unisom didn’t seem to tip them off that I didn’t want to be there.

• 3 RemmieBarrow on Mar 30, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Yah, you have to be careful about the improv riffing, especially in a public place like a movie theater. Other people may take offence at certain comments you make about certain movie franchises(Matrix, etc.). Plus some people just hate it when you talk during the movie.

• 4 Walter on Mar 30, 2008 at 1:19 pm

There was a video of a bunch of people switching to slow motion in a Home Depot. That was pretty funny.

• 5 Bill Corbett on Mar 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm

“Plus some people just hate it when you talk during the movie.”

Ironicnessfully enough, I am one of those people.

• 6 R.A. Roth on Mar 30, 2008 at 2:50 pm

As a Buffy nerd, I’m compelled to bring up “Once More, With Feeling” where people all over Sunnydale start singing and dancing to the mundanities of life, from mustard stains to parking tickets and so on. So the musical stunt, while brilliant, loses a couple of points in my book for borrowing from the Buff-meister.

Randy

• 7 Melman on Mar 30, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Trigger Happy TV mastered the art of the Hidden Camera Show.

• 8 Geena on Mar 30, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Improv Everywhere is awesome. This is probably my favorite one:

It was covered on Showtime’s This American Life.

• 9 lame on Mar 31, 2008 at 5:36 am

The mall musical is tight, and I make it a habit to hunt down the families of people who perpetrate musicals. :) There’s another good one where they bring 100+ shirtless dudes into an Abercrombie store.

• 10 Rob T Firefly on Mar 31, 2008 at 7:26 am

I was part of that one, it was loads of fun and also served as a test run for the Grand Central version (which I will forever kick myself for missing.)

They also ride the subway without pants for one day every Winter.

• 11 Rob T Firefly on Mar 31, 2008 at 7:26 am

I hate when people type comments during blog posts.

• 12 Darth Chimay on Mar 31, 2008 at 11:19 am

I remember seeing this one. I actually thought it was really cruel.

• 13 Tim D on Mar 31, 2008 at 11:29 am

Good?! The musical is an entertainment genre that MUST be thrust upon people because, by its very nature, is the most annoying of all the things you could possibly pay for to see. Did you ever see the people lined up in Times Square to see Mama Mia? They make the zombies from Planet Terror look like Nobel Laureates.

“I Need a Napkin! I need a napkin!” IT’S IN MY HARD! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

• 14 Tim D on Mar 31, 2008 at 11:30 am

Hard.. I meant head of course. Freudian? Perhaps.

• 15 Bill Corbett on Mar 31, 2008 at 2:22 pm

“Freudian? Perhaps.”

There’s no “perhaps” about it, Tim. This is Grade-A Freudian.

Clearly, you have a subconscious desire to replace your hard drive.

• 16 My New Favorite People « MediaJerk on Mar 31, 2008 at 2:59 pm