Bad Song of the Week

June 9th, 2008 by Kevin Murphy · 27 Comments

Once again, My niece Laurel has kept me posted on the very worst in popular music. This week:

Jibbs: Chain Hang Low

The term “shawty” takes on a new connotation in this video by a rapper whose name reminds one of a nineteenth-century English butler. As far as I can gather, the song involves jewelry as an index of virility, impractical dental appliances, and sex. What makes it the bad song of the week – and perhaps the decade – is the involvement of children, the twisting of a kids’ song into a pimp song, and an ice cream truck that denies children ice cream.

Let’s be honest: when kids originally twisted the song “Do Your Ears Hang Low” into something filthy, the filth was more innocent.

Tags: Bad Music · In the Media · Kevin · RiffTrax · Riffer Blogs · music

• 1 The Cutter on Jun 9, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I’m sorry Kevin but as an older white male, you’ll just never understand the pride one has when his chain hangs low.

It’s equal to that of accomplishing world peace by wrestling a dictator dinosaur, who rules the barren landscape of Antarctica, on Pay Per View and winning by a small margin…

So please, please, let you ears…err…balls….ERR….chain hang low.

• 2 Glyn on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Gah! What the hell was that about?
    Gold chains, Silver chains, Ball and chains, a chain link fence?
    I hope you are paying Laurel a handsome sum for messing up her psyche.
    Does she have Clown nightmares?

• 3 Jeffrey Thames [King of Grief] on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Worst of the decade? Wait until your niece introduces you to Soulja Boy. At least “Chain Hang Low” has that kids’ (kidz’?) chorus to quasi-redeem it periodically. It’s Jeeves’ mushmouthed chest-thumping (”I’m so icy!”) that’s the culprit. Wodehouse wept.

• 4 Darth Chimay on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Huh, the brothers Gibb have sure changed. I mean, I was just as decimated as anyone else was with Maurice’s death, but to take it in such a new, unbecoming direction?

• 5 Neb on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm

That is just surreal. Much too much meaning is being assigned to that twisted syntax and poor grammer.

“Do ya chain hang low? Dooda wobble to a’ fro’?” Aaaaagh!

“No”, and “no”.

• 6 ShutterBun on Jun 10, 2008 at 1:34 am

In my circles, “shawty,” (pronouced and spelled “shotty”) is shorthand for “shotgun,” indicating one’s calling dibs on the front passenger seat.

Insofar as equating jewelry and precious metals (or at least the ability to procure them) as a sign of virility and sex, I’m afraid we have the DeBeers Corporation, and by proxy, the Entire Female Race to blame for that one.

But denial of ice cream is indeed a low point.

• 7 ms chii on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:43 am

im sure he is trying to make up for…………something…..

• 8 Tim D on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:08 am

I noticed that the “posse” was also forming a “sign” with their hands into a “J”, and some of those in that “posse” seemed to have the wrong hand up, therefore forming the letter “L” that is now known in pop culture for many years now as the international hip-hoppity sign for LOSER.

Coincidence? I think not.

• 9 Jason on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:13 am

This is 1,000 times better than honky tonk badonkadonk.

• 10 Ninjew on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:51 am

Actually, the “original” song was not a nice kiddie tune.

It was originally “Do your b@lls hang low” – and although it seems to be evolved from the tune “Turkey in the Straw” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Your_Ears_Hang_Low%3F) , it was originally a drinking song using the tune of “The Sailor’s Hornpipe” (http://www.csufresno.edu/folklore/drinkingsongs/html/categorized-by-song/do-your-balls-hang-low.htm).

When put in this context, Mr. Jibbs ain’t really that bad…

• 11 Tork_110 on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:45 am

Did a MSTie piss your niece off at some point? I think we need to know the answer to that question.

• 12 GMaupin on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:47 am

Any thoughts on the fact that “Turkey in the Straw” itself comes out of blackface minstrelsy? Do we believe Jeeves has done that amount of homework?Am I reading too much in?

• 13 Walter on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:51 am

I HATE RAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 14 Mike Nelson on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:38 am

His hat is on funny!

• 15 Carpeteria on Jun 10, 2008 at 8:02 am

sounds like someone has chain envy…

• 16 Conor Lastowka on Jun 10, 2008 at 8:03 am

He’s provided no information to indicate one way or another A) whether or not he is ‘hot’, or B) if he is indeed ‘hot’, why this is the case

• 17 Amanda on Jun 10, 2008 at 8:05 am

Attention people of all ages and races who think they are “playaz” or “killaz” or any other grammatically and socially incorrect notion. Wearing little doohickeys on your clothes like tags and stickers proclaiming where it came from IS NOT COOL. How many times have I seen young men, excuse me, “playaz”, walk by like Mr. Jibbs here with either a stupid sticker on their hat, again like Mr. Jibbs, or a tag still on their suit proclaiming to all the world. “Yeah I went to Capz and got the official merchandise that’s $19.95, not the $9 one at Wal Mart. And my suit with the tag still on the sleeve? Damn straight I got it at Burlington Coat Factory for $129! And I will proudly proclaim it!” Again I repeat, “You do NOT look cool. You look like the fool who forgot to take the tags off before you wore it out the door.”

Therefore I cannot comment on the video itself, distracted as I was by the giant glowing sticker on the doofusses hat.

• 18 Chris D. on Jun 10, 2008 at 9:03 am

Next up for Jibbs he’ll be sampling the perennial schoolyard classic “Great Green Gobs” in his rendition of “Great Gold Grillz”!

• 19 ms chii on Jun 10, 2008 at 9:08 am

okay. someone has GOT to tell why the rap industry is so big, coz i ain’t getting jiggy with that. AT ALL!

for the love of all that is good and …plenty. NO!!!!!

anyone else notice that they got black tight ass girls dancing in the backround with tiny shorts etc. someone else want to bother explaning to me how they brush their teeth with that “bling bing” on? gROSS!

• 20 Neb on Jun 10, 2008 at 10:42 am

Perhaps he is positing that, “hey!, it worked for Minnie Pearl. Why not for my ‘hot’ or sometimes ‘icy’ self?”.

• 21 Neb on Jun 10, 2008 at 10:49 am

The only song of this genre that I can watch in good conscience is Weird Al’s “White and Nerdy”. Al is the king of any genre he puts his hand to as far as I’m concerned.

• 22 suzanne on Jun 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Those chains are shiny. Like quarters.

• 23 RemmieBarrow on Jun 10, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Really, the only thing I found wrong with that video was the guy refusing to give those kids some ice cream. I mean come on, stop disrespecting those kids.

• 24 Tyrant on Jun 10, 2008 at 3:17 pm

So this is what kids listen to nowadays? When did being cool somehow translate into being as uncool as possible in order to be cool? It’s like a glorious hole in the cool time/space continuum where things get sucked in and then pop out again in a way less cool location. Usually wearing an evil goatee.

• 25 ShutterBun on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Is there any evidence that the “Sailor’s Hornpipe” version actually predates the “Turkey in the Straw” version? Lyrical references to “dong,” “Indian rubber,” and “double shuffle” would seem to place the former version’s origin in the 20’s or 30’s at the very earliest. Could be that the Army and Navy simply each chose their own favorite tune with which to inquire about each other’s testicular pendulousness?

• 26 Sweet on Feb 25, 2010 at 7:57 am

I really hate buzzjack music forum. They think you are a male when really you are a female. They judge others and said things about other that are not true. Then if you post a fake picture they will suspended you for or if you post smiles then they will suspended you for it.

• 27 Sweet on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:54 am

One forum that I would ever go on this buzzjack music forum. The reason is because the own of the forum didn’t allow you to e-mail any of his staff for help. And his up words in your mouth that you ever said. They hate people have a learn disability to be on their forum. The Globe Moderation Slick is such a jack ass and not has a heart in him what so ever. Slick will banned and suspended anyone how as a learn disability. One more thing they hate have American on their forum as well as people from Canada