Meat, Dave?

July 10th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 65 Comments

Meet Dave

Sir Edward Murphy delivers the climactic “Why Freedom Matters” monologue at the end of MEET DAVE, illustrating his point with an oversized pinball.

I’m in West Virginia this week on a family reunion, and it’s from this very un-Hollywood-ish corner of the U.S.A. that I watch as a movie called MEET DAVE opens nationwide tomorrow.

I wrote it, under its original title STARSHIP DAVE, along with my dear pal and occasional writing partner Rob Greenberg. That is, we wrote the original draft, and some subsequent drafts… and our names are the sole writers listed, for better or worse. As is very typical in the land of Jiminy Glick, however, a bunch of other writers have romped through the script as well.

As of this date I haven’t seen the movie. Really, all I’ve seen are the trailers everyone else has seen. I skipped the official premiere on Tuesday because of these longstanding family plans. Not an act of protest, per se. Things just got mucked up when the opening was switched from late May to mid July. But I was very happy not to be there, truth be told. It didn’t seem my like idea of a good time, my powder-blue prom tuxedo has long since ceased to fit, and I probably would have tripped on the red carpet and accidentally killed one of the lovely ladies in the cast. Scandal, disgrace, prison… so you see my point, I’m sure.

I might do a longer post sometime about the whole experience of writing and developing the movie, if enough people are interested. …Though even that would be almost 100% free of celeb gossip / dishing, and therefore might be a disappointing read.

But for now, I wanted to throw out some thoughts and assorted tidbits before seeing the movie, lest it seem like I’m retconning later on. In absolutely no order:

1) A bunch of people have asked me if I like the title change. I don’t. It’s beyond generic… it’s actually repetitive of a smaller movie released earlier this year. But I made my case, and after that it was out of my hands. It ain’t the end of the world, really. Just thought ours was more fun.

And I actually do understand the reasons for it. One of those reasons surprised me: according to the studios, ANY hint of sci-fi immediately means a pretty high percentage of the populace won’t show up. Bizarre to me and many of you, I’m sure. But (apparently) true. And yeah, I’m guessing it didn’t help that one of Mr. Murphy’s least-loved movies — critically murdered, and a box office pain-fest — was his previous sci-fi comedy.

2) My pal and writing partner Rob took almost a perverse pleasure in going on IMDB.com for months before the opening, and seeing all the vitriol lining up against the movie. I’d rather take an acid bath, myself, but… one theme he kept seeing from the Comic Book Guy-types there is that this isn’t an original idea.

Quite right, actually. It wasn’t wholly original, like just about everything else, ever. In fact, I originally pitched the general idea as something for the SciFi.com site years ago, but we went with EDWARD THE LESS instead. When I revived it as a movie idea and explained the general premise to Rob, I listed every single “little people inside big people” movie or TV show that preceded. So yeah, we understood that it wasn’t made out of whole cloth. Few things are.

What I thought was different here was the fact that we were basically placing a Star Trek-like crew inside a body to go exploring Earth. So the difference was mostly one of scale — we decided to take the idea to the Nth degree, with an entire crew inside, and make a movie of it.

3) It’s a comedy aimed at kids. “Hard” sci-fi devotees will not like it, and should not expect to like it. This movie can’t give you what you need, friends.

It wasn’t always aimed so squarely at the younger population. But this is a fundamentally silly premise. We know that. Add to it the fact that Rob and I each had two kids in the last five years, and we were amenable to pushing it in that direction. It may not be the height of sophistication, but I do hope there are still pleasures for non-small people… like the original Bugs Bunny cartoons, which kept both kids and their parents plenty amused. But we will see.

4) As of this writing I have no idea how the movie will play, all in all. I really don’t. It’s a very weird experience, writing for Hollywood at this level. Part of me is proud and wants to own this movie, promote it, generally celebrate it and look forward to all the possibilities that may emerge from the experience. And an equally real part of me wants to lock myself in a dark room for a month and pretend it never happened.

…Why the latter? Because the truth is that I had not a bit of control over the final product, and Hollywood does tend to suckify things. Often quite badly. In fact, there was at least one extra week of writing done AFTER the last draft Rob and I submitted, as well as lots of improvising and rewriting on the set… and that’s a scary prospect. This is not a slam on whoever did the last week of writing, whose name I don’t know, and who may have improved the whole thing immensely. It’s the not knowing that’s bizarre.

Likewise, I’d freely admit that not all of the notes we got over the ridiculously long process of developing the movie (though apparently speedy by Hollywood standards, especially given a studio change from Paramount to Fox at one point) were bad. Some were great, some were O.K., and many were just blather. The real problem is a too-many-cooks thing — when a movie tries to fulfill everyone’s “vision” (ahem) simultaneously, even when the visions contradict each other, well… you get most Hollywood movies, sadly. The system is broken, and even with the best of intentions on most people’s part it tends to produce dookie. I have no idea how you’d fix that, given that movies are first and foremost a big business. But I know that it would have to involve more artistic risk…. especially in terms of doing simple comedies, which are very delicate little critters. Load too much on them, and they just get smushed.

That said…

5) This may be the most disappointing item of all, in terms of juiciness: most of the people Rob and I worked with along the way were pleasant, and many of them had excellent ideas. It’s just that there were too many of them “fixing” this simple comedy.

I’m hoping that the original silly joy of the thing still survives, and even thrives. But I also didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, so I’m prepared for anything. Bring it, Universe!

6) Will we riff on this movie? I’d actually love to. “When the Riffer becomes the Riffed.” Perfect.

BUT — and this is a big one — we avoid comedies like the plague. Take a look at our catalogue, and you’ll see what I mean. We’ve tried it before, and it really doesn’t work very well for our purposes. You’re often reduced to variations on a snotty “well, that wasn’t funny” over and over again. True as it might be, even for MEET DAVE, it might not make a very funny Rifftrax. If we can’t make something more funny, we tend to pass.

But we’ll see. Maybe we can do some hybrid riff / commentary / give Bill a boatload of grief track.

7) Rifftraxes aside, nobody on this site should feel constrained from speaking freely about the movie. Lord knows I’ve dished out enough on other movies over the years, so MEET DAVE is fair game just like anything else. Snark away, if you will. I won’t protest. Have at it.

Lastly, I leave you with this, an image emblematic of an interesting but absurd few years. It’s a picture of my wife’s cousin Erin at a Braves game in Atlanta, where she lives…. and where a giant fake Eddie Murphy head traveled as part of its nationwide tour.

erin in dave

“Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

• 1 Onil on Jul 10, 2008 at 1:56 pm

It’s okay that you missed the premiere. Eddie was a no show as well.

That giant Eddie’s eyes follow me no matter where I move. He’s ALWAYS looking at me! Creepy!

• 2 seanf on Jul 10, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Bill– quick question. Do you have any feelings about Senor Murphy deciding that he had more important things to do and ditching the premiere? Seems to me that if you’re not only the lead star of the movie, you’re the lead, and the co-star, and the co-star, and the co-star, and about 578 extras, you kind of have to show up. And if you don’t, it’s a slap in the face.

So how about it, Bill? Did Pluto Nash slap you in the face? Metaphorically, I mean. I imagine if he had slapped you literally, you would have sued him and gotten a bazillion dollars in settlement.

• 3 Anthony on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I will see it, suck or non-suck, out of fan loyalty, damn it.

And I think a Rifftrax for it would be cool; though, maybe not necessarily a bunch of jokes. I like the idea of the hybrid riff/commentary (maybe you could point out some things from the original script that remained or were removed between making fun, and presumably being made fun of).

• 4 Anthony on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Also, I want a gigantic head like that to put on my lawn, but, of my head. It’d also play Iron Man on a constant loop. Maybe War Pigs or Walk On Water to mix it up.

…I need a giganto-head, so all will know to fear me.

• 5 Glyn on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Having not seen this yet, I can safely say that the original concept was better. Write on Bill!

• 6 Barry on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Hey, I grew up in WV. Whereabouts do you have family there?

• 7 RemmieBarrow on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:12 pm

It’s not his eyes that I am worried about. It’s when his nose starts following me that will make me be creeped out.

• 8 MikeP on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I was disappointed when I heard Eddie Murphy was starring in it. Nothing against Eddie, mind you, but you have to admit that he looks nothing like Bill.

I will have a hard time with the biographical accuracy of the film, due to this startling miscasting.

(Randy Bachman in the Kevin Murphy role was inspired, though.)

• 9 MST3Kelly on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I think that ‘art’ stopped having the ability to be ‘new’ around the time of Voltaire. or before. whatever! talent always shines. and you are a talented guy- all of you Riffers are. you make my world a better place to live in.
    so regardless of the box office returns, and never mind the critics: good for you for writing the thing, and for seeing it through the venomous maw of the Hollywood machine. as one of my favorite art professors once said: the whole world conspires to come between us and our work. the challenge is to keep working. she said it a lot better though.
    so hey: congratulations.

• 10 R.A. Roth on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:32 pm

It is the prospect of other cooks cocking up my idea that gives me pause as I embark on my new book/screen writing project. I have a killer idea that is quite original and full of potential. Take the word potential in both the positive and negative senses, as in it could be great or suck as badly as an anteater with a hole in its snout. I tend to lean toward the former, with me at the helm. But add the “sensibilities” of Hollywood and I fear another crap stew in the making. The concept of test audiences alone sends shivers down my spine. I can hear it now:

“Well, twenty percent didn’t like the lead character’s negativity while forty percent felt he acted unrealistically. Seventy percent liked the female lead but thought her hair was too long. Sixty two percent were turned off by the irreligiousness while only fifteen percent thought it was blasphemous.”

“So what does that mean?”

“It means we add a cute monkey. Art, get ILBDMND or whatever Lucas’s company’s name is, on the phone, pronto!”

Randy

• 11 Stacia on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I do hope there are still pleasures for non-small people

Are you hitting on us, Dr Corbett?

I do hope the film does well for you and all involved. Good luck, break a spleen! I think it looks like a good kids’ film, although Eddie Murphy does bring out the hate lately. Is he any relation to Kevin Murphy?

(Boy, I hope HTML works in these comments…)

• 12 Rob T Firefly on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Somewhere, in an alternate but equally valid Universe, Eddie Murphy’s wife’s cousin is being photographed inside a giant fake Bill Corbett head.

• 13 mathey on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Your family reunion was in West Virginia? Assuming this was on purpose, you may be related to me.

So let me be the first member of your extended family to suck up to you and try to cash in on your Hollywood success.

• 14 Dan Noutko-Kennedy on Jul 10, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Bill,
    Your experience sounds very much like Altman’s The Player, where studio execs usurp the creative process. Hollywood has always given the least recognition to the writer, without whom there would be just a bunch of meaningless pictures. Three of the greatest film scenarists, Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder and Akira Kurosawa, all eventually became directors in order to protect and nurture their creations. Maybe someday you too can take the director’s chair. Congratulations on your feature film and please do continue to recount your experiences, they are most interesting.

• 15 Neb on Jul 10, 2008 at 3:24 pm

You said a mouthful, with which I heartily concur. Makes me a little teary, even… *sniff*

• 16 Glyn on Jul 10, 2008 at 4:51 pm

OMG!
    White pants!
    How unpatriotic!
    Run!

• 17 Danni on Jul 10, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I couldn’t agree more. The world needs more people like Bill!

• 18 Derek Martz on Jul 10, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I wish you well, of course, Bill, but, know I’m very worried. Nearly terrified. Remember, we’ll always have “300.”

• 19 Darth Chimay on Jul 10, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Hey, look at it this way. You might finally be able to get that remake of Myra Breckinridge starring Joey Pants greenlit!

Gads, I’m hilarious. Seriously though, I do want to see this movie once it hits DVD. Time just doesn’t allow for going to a theater lately. And I’d love to read about your experience, even if you can’t talk about how the writers of the movie did rails of coke off slabs of bacon and tried to pay T.J. Hooker for sex.

• 20 Brian O. on Jul 10, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I dunno, there’s always Randy Quaid’s gigantic head from Freaked (1993)
    (It’s at 0:11 in the trailer)

That should be enough for some nightmare fuel.

• 21 jason on Jul 10, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Well, no matter how bad it is (and I haven’t seen it, so I have no idea how good or bad it is), it can’t be as bad as the “The Day The Earth Stood Still” remake starring Keanu Reeves is going to be. Nope. No way. So that means it won’t be the worst sci-fi movie of the year. Glad I can give you something to cling to…

• 22 mrbasehart on Jul 10, 2008 at 6:54 pm

If the changes to your script are massive and an abomination, how about printing up your original script for us fine folk on the Riffblog?

• 23 will on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:05 pm

bill, as someone who hopes to one day get paid to write movies (im in a UCLA program right now), i’d love to see you post about your experience writing and developing it

• 24 Walter on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I will see it…but I have to see Hellboy also.

• 25 YoohooRiffer on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Mr. Corbett,

You’re an amazingly talented writer and it’s good to see the “main stream” film industry attempting to incorporate your genius. Whatever the outcome of the film, Hollywood is better for acknowledging your skill. Congratulations, and I expect to see more!

• 26 karen on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:14 pm

stupid hollywood. i wonder how many good ideas go shredded through machine to make crappola? BLEAH!

• 27 Kyle on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I’m torn. While I want to see the movie that you wrote (well, at least the first drafts), I don’t really want to see Eddie Murphy. Not that it matters much anyway. I don’t live within 70 miles of a movie theater.

• 28 Cibernetico 2 on Jul 10, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I actually liked Pluto Nash, so this being written by Bill has got to be at least 10 times better

• 29 Inspector Dim on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:19 pm

All questions of the quality of the product aside, I’ve gotta give you major props for the Ozymandius Jones reference. That was awesome, man.

• 30 To_Servo_Man on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Hey Bill–

After listening to that podcast-thingy you linked to a week or so ago, I was hoping you would blog an entry on this topic, and you didn’t disappoint. This was a very interesting read; you’re the closest brush with celebrity any of us have had (hmm, that kind of sounds like a backhanded insult, but it wasn’t meant to be), so it’s pretty darn cool to get some insight like this from somebody who we kind of feel like we know since we’ve been following you and the other MSTies for so long.

Yikes. One thousand dollars in unmarked, nonsequential bills to anyone who can diagram that last sentence.

Anywho, thanks for the glimpse into Hollywood and writing. Good stuff. Have a good time at the movie and be sure to let us know what you think!

• 31 euphoriafish on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:38 pm

My opinions, let me show you them! :

* I would love to read about the process of developing a movie from the writer’s point of view. I have read a little bit about it from Neil Gaiman in his journal, but I would be curious to see what is different when the movie is a comedy and you are approaching it from the perspective of an experienced television writer instead of an experienced novel/comic writer.
    * I am doubtful about Meet Dave and am not sure I want to pay for a theater ticket just yet.
    * I seriously hope you do a RiffTrax commentary for it. If it wasn’t funny but was instead more of a straight DVD commentary, that would still be entertaining for me.
    * Reading this entry, I was also wishing there was a RiffTrax mp3 for Pluto Nash. It seems to be a not very good movie but it has high production values and is pretty to look at. So I kinda want to watch it but am afraid to without the entertainment insurance that RiffTrax provides.

• 32 Ryan on Jul 10, 2008 at 9:01 pm

I am very interested in reading more about the process you went through with the writing on this. The primary question I have is, did you envision this as a vehicle for Eddie Murphy from the beginning?

• 33 Stacia on Jul 10, 2008 at 9:52 pm

It occurs to me that I implied Kevin Murphy also brings out the hate lately, and that wasn’t my intention. To that, I say “d’oh”. Sorry.

• 34 Katie M. on Jul 10, 2008 at 10:48 pm

It’s really remarkable (and sad) how out of touch Hollywood is with reality and people’s tastes. Generally audiences are SALIVATING for something new!! We’re sick to death of all these rehashed TV shows, remakes, sequels, BLEH. They truly believe people will not go to a movie that has a new idea, unorthodox plot structure, or a female lead that doesn’t look like a collagen-warped supermodel. They think we’re stupid. And they’re actually fulfilling their own prophecy. The more dreck they put out, the dumber we get. Sigh.

• 35 Freakjuice on Jul 11, 2008 at 12:02 am

Bill-

Just got back from the midnight screening. First I am a huge Eddie Murphy fan. I believe he is an under rated comic genius that deserves clever and funnier scripts. I loved how he played the ‘Starship’ almost like Peter Sellers in ‘Being There’. The film was funny and at the same time very safe. I don’t know what direction your screenplay went, but to me it seemed like the scenes inside the Starship were toned down and could have been more innovative. However whenever we see Dave in the human world, the fish out of water concept really works. Elizabeth Banks and Gabrielle Union were both great and beautiful. The movie is funny, I just felt like there were too many obvious choices for a brilliant concept.

• 36 Tork_110 on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:52 am

Brain Guy: The Movie. I’d be there on opening day.

• 37 BEMaven on Jul 11, 2008 at 4:03 am

They re-titled the movie ‘Meet Dave’ so audiences wouldn’t label it science fiction.

Then they release trailers where a micro-size Murphy and a female crew member fall out of the Dave ship’s nostrils… onto the pavement where they risk being squashed by foot traffic.

Based, no doubt, on the notion that audiences would treat the story as historical drama.

Makes perfect sense.

• 38 chrismartindeed on Jul 11, 2008 at 4:20 am

Why couldn’t the Suits re-name it ‘Mission: Dave’ ? Or some other title that only hints at its sci-fi premise?

Oh, who am I kidding? I could never think like Hollywood execs. I only have one cell phone (and its battery has been dead since Christmas). The fact that I finished college has always held me back.

• 39 BEMaven on Jul 11, 2008 at 4:26 am

I almost wish you hadn’t the story explained the story and the subsequent development,

It makes me wonder what sort of crew is piloting Starship Jessica Simpson.

• 40 Carpeteria on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:07 am

at least they didn’t rename it “Being Eddie Murphy”.

• 41 karen on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:14 am

wait, back the truck up. this is what mr. corbett wrote?!!!! SWEEET!!!!

what if you had gone “indie” on it? would that have been better? less lost in the process?

• 42 Propaniac on Jul 11, 2008 at 7:14 am

This is my favorite picture of the giant head. I have no idea if embedding it below will work, but everytime I see it I laugh even while something inside my soul cringes in horror and fear.

• 43 Propaniac on Jul 11, 2008 at 7:15 am

Well, it didn’t work, but clicking on my username should.

• 44 BEMaven on Jul 11, 2008 at 8:48 am

Is the giant Eddie Murphy head inflated?

Just wondering.

• 45 seanf on Jul 11, 2008 at 9:05 am

Oh dear:

My favorite line: “Normally, when a man is inside you, it’s rape! But when it’s Eddie Murphy, it’s COMEDY!”

• 46 evilash on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm

If it’s not good it could only mean that it was because of all the changes. OR it could be that you having a major brain fart. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing it.

• 47 Isaac on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I repeat, “Cracked” is garbage.

• 48 euphoriafish on Jul 11, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I dunno… the one summer I worked in a movie theater, I saw a lot of really stupid people going to a lot of really stupid movies. Dodgeball, Soul Plane, The Stepford Wives remake, White Chicks… The list goes on and on!

• 49 euphoriafish on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:00 pm

I dunno… the one summer I worked in a movie theater, I saw a lot of really stupid people going to a lot of really stupid movies without displaying any signs of wanting something more intelligent. Dodgeball, Soul Plane, The Stepford Wives remake, White Chicks… The list goes on and on!

• 50 mkl on Jul 11, 2008 at 8:02 pm

From the salon.com review:

“His timing is still sharp, even with lackluster — although far from dismal — material. (The script is by Rob Greenberg and Bill Corbett.)”

“Far From Dismal!!”

That’s a usable blurb, no?

• 51 Brian O. on Jul 11, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I bet crime in your neighborhood would go WAY down.

• 52 The Tingler on Jul 12, 2008 at 2:36 am

Oh god, now THAT must surely be a guaranteed Rifftrax!

• 53 David on Jul 12, 2008 at 10:57 am

It’s amazing how studios are always wondering why their movies bomb. The answer is simple: it’s because they don’t take risks, even when they know they should. Most movies that are deemed “risky” often wind up classics. But because studios want to play it “safe,” they turn potentially good movies into garbage by pumping them full of tired plot points, pop culture references, and jokes. Ironically, playing it safe has become more of a risk than being risky.

• 54 Eric on Jul 12, 2008 at 11:59 am

Well that was enlightening. I’m putting my dreams of becoming a screenwriter in a plastic bag so I can take them behind the shed and beat them to death with a shovel.

• 55 wakachiwaka on Jul 12, 2008 at 1:41 pm

No no no…

Nobody goes to movies anymore because they can just download them for free on the Internet a week before they come out. Right? RIGHT?!!?

• 56 » Film Review: Meet Davd (2008) on Jul 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm

[...] people’s movies as part of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, THE FILM CREW, and RIFFTRAX. In this post, Crobett speculates on the possibility of doing a Rifftrax for MEET DAVE: in general, he thinks the [...]

• 57 Mike M on Jul 12, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for this blog (I just found it). I haven’t read all the comments here yet, but I’ve written a couple scripts in the past so I just find it very interesting to read about someone who’s doing it on a bigger level.

I’d actually be very curious to read about the actual experience of both writing and developing a movie–both the good and the bad. Is there a chance you’ll actually do this?

Thanks.

-Mike

• 58 Natureboy (Ken) on Jul 12, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Bill, it is refreshing to hear you are okay with any crap you may receive about your screenplay. After the whining I heard from the Cartoon Dump troop over my little riff of one of their efforts, I applaud you being a man about light ribbing on your work.

You movie will still be good. Have faith.

• 59 justhesh on Jul 12, 2008 at 7:42 pm

From what I hear, you have accomplished your goal of creating a good movie for the kiddos and their elders. So congrats, Bill, and good luck.

geek moment: the Warner Brothers cartoons were never intended for children, it just trickles down. So, sort of the opposite direction of this movie.

• 60 Nanobots on Jul 13, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Yeah, I remember really liking “Cracked” magazine when I was younger. But now when I read something at their web site, it’s utter garbage. Rarely to they have anything really funny-clever to say, mostly it’s just crap which the writer thinks is funny.

• 61 Marty (Gromit) on Jul 14, 2008 at 10:56 am

It’s amazing how brain dead Hollywood is, can’t label it as sci-fi because they never do well, you know, like ET, Star Wars, Men in Black, Jurrasic Park, The Matrix….

Look at this list:

Count the movies in the top 100 that have a sci-fi aspect to them…

• 62 Brian O. on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:33 am

Speaking of ginormous heads, I spotted this at: http://zip.4chan.org/tv/src/1216283208013.jpg

(grab it while it lasts, or I can provide a copy in e-mail).

Imagine taking a nap while being driven to work, or vacation, or whatever. And the first thing you see when you wake up is THIS staring back at you from a flatbed trailer.

• 63 Viktor on Jul 18, 2008 at 12:39 pm

This is the BEST acting of Eddie Murphy !!! He’s da best !!!

• 64 adel al mutairi on Aug 1, 2008 at 8:57 am

i like this movie

• 65 Glen B.Wang on Aug 15, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Ouch, sad to hear that not all things turn out as you envision in your original draft (reminds me of comic artist/writer turned director Frank Miller who was also disillusioned with the Hollywood treatment when he first wrote the draft for the Robocop sequel). But then again, Hollywood always tend to get a bit grubby when it comes to money and stuff; all of that depends on whether an idea is potential enough to attract viewers. However, no matter how original the material is, studio execs have a dreadful habit of interfering with one’s artistic work and mesh it with other nonsensical elements (imagining yourself drawing Dick Dastardly’s moustache on Mona Lisa’s face ). I think the movie would work best if it were made independently as you (as well as other trusted crew) have total control of the material but that’s just my opinion.

As for the Rifftrax version of Meet Dave, I think it’d work perfectly since you served as co-writer; riffing your own work is something that is truly unheard of even during the early days of MST3K!