Go Mom!

July 23rd, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 32 Comments

avoid the noid

conor santa

fez

Clearly, I am a man who values his dignity.  But occasionally, under extraordinary circumstances, I’m willing to do something slightly foolish – as long as there’s a good reason. Be it raising money for charity, attending a costume party, or walking down the street dressed like an idiot to see what people do, some things are worth the trade off in your pride.  So I offer to you the following proposition:

conor jar jar

Above, the Jar Jar Binks t-shirt that my friend Andrew gave me before we went off to college.  Tye-dyed green, and featuring Jar Jar in a variety of hideous poses, it may be one of the worst clothing items ever produced.

Please, take a closer look:

jar jar shirt

My proposition is this:  My mom is a finalist in the Washingtonian Magazine photo contest.  Go vote for her here, it’s called “Hot Dogs and Baseball by Sandy Pugh”.  She’s currently in 2nd place, 27%, by a percentage point.  If we push her up into a comfortable enough lead, say, a ten point bump to 37%, I will wear the above shirt during all my comic-con comings and goings this year.  This includes our spectacular RiffTrax Live Plan 9 double show on Saturday night.  That’s right, I will put on the uniform of Sci-Fi’s most loathed character and descend into the belly of the beast.  The mocker will become the mocked.

But only if you vote for my mom!  And not that dad holding his adorable girl.  Screw them!

• 1 Onil on Jul 23, 2008 at 8:15 am

Done and done.

• 2 Neb on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:34 am

I voted for mom. This is not to be misconstrued as a vote “for” Jar Jar, but a vote for the wearing of that inexplicably horrific shirt.

However, I’m a bit concerned. This website claims that it’s “the website Washington lives by”. Well, I live in Washington (state), and until now was not even aware that this website existed. Does that mean I have been living in close proximity to this site yet completely unaware of it? Or, does this imply that the site is responsible for maintaining my existence, and yet I have never once thanked it for this valuable service?

It’s a bit of a conundrum.

• 3 Au$10 on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:55 am

Done voted, son. She’s still behind by one percentage point, but now has 29%. Go, go, go!

• 4 Mario "Asteroid" Panighetti on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:13 am

As a member of the masses, I am legally obligated to respond to any and all calls to arms. Voted!

• 5 Charlie W on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:21 am

Done. Looks like she’s all tied up.

• 6 Jmaes on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:22 am

Done. I voted for the hot dog! (The photo, not your mom). Long Live Jar Jar!

• 7 Beautiful Houndstooth on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:40 am

That was a darn tasty lookin’ dog! I voted for your mom. We who are about to luch salute her!

• 8 Nanobots on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:06 am

I suspect it’s pretty much impossible to get her up to 37%, so we’ll be voting for her photo but Conor won’t have to wear the T-Shirt!

…but I added my vote in to at least try.

And actually, I do think it’s the best photo in the ones they have in the top 5, although I might have voted for some of the runner-up photo’s if they had made it to the top 5.

• 9 wbwolf on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:41 am

Unfortunately, I believe they are talking about Washington, DC, the name stealing bastards. Those of us in the Pacific Northwest need not worry about its existence.

• 10 Conor Lastowka on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 am

I may wear it anyways, now that I’ve been thinking about it it seems like a fun idea.

• 11 Redclaire on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:50 am

I voted for her! She’s now at 30%, seems to be tying with that navy man jumping.

I could just eat that hot dog right now!

• 12 Smuttynose on Jul 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm

This website claims that it’s “the website Washington lives by”

George Washington died about 200 years ago. Sheesh. Talk about your false advertising.

• 13 Ben on Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Hmm. So we are “punishing” you by voting for your mom and thus making you wear a Jar Jar Binks shirt? Can you establish beyond all doubt that you are not in fact the president of the Jar Jar Binks Fan Club?

Now, if you are willing to talk like Jar Jar Binks for the duration of the convention, well, THAT would seem like actual punishment for both you and anybody within earshot. I want a lot of punishment for my vote.

• 14 OmegaRowsdower on Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Voted, right now its
    hot dog- 29%
    jump guy- 31%

• 15 Fifty "percent" Krieger on Jul 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I voted. Food is more important than precious moments anyday.

• 16 euphoriafish on Jul 23, 2008 at 4:45 pm

I voted for the hotdog, though I think the Navy guy jumping will probably win. I mean, really, that’s an impressive jump!

• 17 SecretIdentityCrisis on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Best. Shirt. Ever. I would wear that at comicon regardless, just to enjoy the reactions.

Voting for Mom right now.

• 18 Nanobots on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Craving ridicule? Next you’ll be dressing up like a Solarite!

• 19 Darth Chimay on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Voted. It looks, however, that Tom Cruise will once again crush the hopes and dreams of the American (hot-dog-eating) people.

• 20 Queen Shadowrama on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:15 pm

I voted. Look forward to seeing you in that shirt, Conor.

• 21 AmandaGal on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm

I voted, but she’s way behind now. 23% vs 40% (jump) and 25% (kayak).

Could it be that people hate Jar Jar so they’re voting against her so you will burn the shirt? Maybe you should wear it in spite.

• 22 Danni on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:12 am

Or a Bellerian…

• 23 Steve-O on Jul 24, 2008 at 7:49 pm

As intensely revolting as that Jar Jar abomination is, it still comes off as downright dignified when held up next to the Padres shirt.

• 24 Conor Lastowka on Jul 24, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I don’t know what happened. That navy guy must have some powerful friends.

• 25 Conor Lastowka on Jul 24, 2008 at 8:22 pm

The Padres! More embarrassing ambassadors to our city than Karl Strauss beer!

• 26 Nanobots on Jul 25, 2008 at 9:50 am

Eh. One of the comments under the pictures talked about “we should support our troops!”, at which point I was afraid that no one could beat the leaping picture. I think he was still in third place when I saw that comment.

• 27 Enron Hubbard on Jul 25, 2008 at 12:23 pm

The combination of the Military Industrial Complex and the Armchair Patriots may account for first place, but who would have thunk that Rifftraxians couldn’t outvote the notorious Kayak Kartel!

• 28 JIM on Jul 25, 2008 at 7:12 pm

You are exactly right, We need to rally the troops beat the Kayak Kartel. Please get everyone you know to vote for the Hotdog lest the Kayak (gag) come in second ….

• 29 JIM on Jul 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Come on Comic-Con Fans. Vote for the Hot dog … now. And get your friends and families to vote … Now

• 30 Rifftrax Live: So Funny it’s Unsafe for Small Children and the Elderly « deep ape on Jul 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm

[...] out. First person I saw walking into the theater was Rifftrax writer Conor Lastowka, wearing the Jar Jar Binks shirt that he promised he would wear, on the Rifftrax Blog. I complimented him on his choice of shirt and [...]

• 31 Bonnie Caulder on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I was glad to see you wearing your jar jar shirt at the rifftrax live! Go Mom!!

• 32 OderEater III on Oct 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm