We are at Comic-Con. God help us all.

July 24th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 30 Comments

Ladies and gentlemen, today we get swallowed into the belly of the geek beast. No, not Harry Knowles. Comic-Con. (…Or, as the ancient Aztecs called it, “Kahmik-K’ahan.”)

300 spartan

COMIC-CON 2007: Kevin Murphy in Rifftrax-issued L.B.P.’s.

Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy and myself will be at various places at various times signing stuff, drawing little doodles, and generally slacking off. Please bring us snacks.

On Friday night (a.k.a. “tomorrow night”) we’ll be goin’ all nostalgic on your collective posteriors, with the 20th anniversary MST3K panel. Our Rifftrax contingent will be there with the crew of Cinematic Titanic … plus MST3K writer / performers Bridget Nelson, Paul Chaplin, and producer Jim Mallon. We have a mere hour to sit in our rockers, smoke pipes, and recount the good old days, so don’t be late!

THEN on Saturday night we Rifftraxians perform two–count ‘em–two shows, live-riffing Ed Wood’s classic PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE. Bela Lugosi, aliens, zombies, Tor Johnson, Vampira, PLUS a sexually repressed 1950s couple who live next to a graveyard? It doesn’t get any better.

…Unless there are snacks. Snacks make everything better. (I really can’t emphasize that enough.)

Tags: Comic Con · Events · RiffTrax · RiffTrax Live!

• 1 Anthony on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:02 am

Yay for Plan 9, I love that movie. Also, boo for LBPs, they’re painful, and the mere thought conjures up horrible images. And at least one Simpsons reference. Mega-yay for mega-panel of mega-awesome and mega-win. Mega.

A good pipe if you only have an hour, get a Peterson pipe. And some of their new 2008 deluxe tobacco. It tastes like friggin caramel, damn it. Weird. And aromatic. Drink it with good whiskey (Connemara or maybe even Midleton). Soon, memories will flow. Including memories of things that may or may not have happened. Then the fights break out, which will turn an awesome panel which easily contends for the most awesome thing within the past few centuries, into one the greatest things to have ever occured anywhere on the planet or throughout the universe over the whole of history.

• 2 Ron on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:02 am

I wish I could go to Comic Con.

• 3 Stacia on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:08 am

Holy cats, TCM is showing Plan 9 this very morning. They’re trying to scoop you! Revenge must be had!

If I was anywhere near there, I’d drop by with a sack of snacks. No joke. Hope you guys have fun, and someone brings you some Cheetos ™.

• 4 Eliot on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:25 am

Oh, and Megaweapon. Best. Dump truck. Ever.

• 5 justhesh on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:29 am

” Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion Panel

Hosted by Patton Oswalt”

This is what is known in the industry as “hot s**t”.
    I hope and pray that film evidence is retrieved of this monumental moment in time.

• 6 attaturk on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:37 am

Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion Panel

Hosted by Patton Oswalt, join an historic reunion of cast and crew, including creator Joel Hodgson, producer Jim Mallon and fellow writer/performers Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Paul Chaplin, J. Elvis Weinstein, Bridget Nelson and Bill Corbettfor a Q&A panel.

Finally, Joel, Mike and the rest of you get to put on your ‘300′ battle panties and tell Jim Mallon what they think of those embarrassing cartoons.

• 7 Tork_110 on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:41 am

BYOB

Bring your own brain (in a bowl).

Are you guys going to push any cosplayers to the ground? I’d pay to see that.

• 8 Danni on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:57 am

I am so bummed that I live on the east coast and can’t go. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me someone will be taping this so my fellow east coasters and others who can’t make it will be able to view this historic event!

And I hope someone throws a chair all Jerry Springer-like – I’m going to agree with attaturk and say it should probably be at Jim Mallon for those damn cartoons…

• 9 Ninjew on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:51 am

Actually, it DOES get better than that, Bill.

It would be better if I were there to enjoy it.

But here I have my ticket in hand, but due to circumstances beyond my control (my wife’s boss wouldn’t let her take this weekend off even though they were purchased a year ago and the boss was informed about the trip back then), I can’t be there.

And you’re just posting this blog to taunt me, aren’t you Corbett?

You’re taking some perverse pleasure in this, right?

• 10 Onil on Jul 24, 2008 at 5:41 am

Quit breaking my east coast heart with your damned live appearances and being nice to the fans. :(

Also best of luck at the con and here’s to hoping for some big announcements! :)

• 11 wbwolf on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:16 am

Joel has already promised over on the latest CT mailing that both the panel and individual interviews are being filmed at the con for the MST3k 20th Anniversary DVD box.

Hopefully, the lumberjack match between Joel and Mike with Jim Mallon refereeing goes without a hitch. I hear Mike fights dirty.

• 12 Dan Noutko-Kennedy on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:28 am

Riffers,
    Great. A bunch of Mid-Western wags play a 10 year game of Husker Du? with their fellow denizens of the Jello Salad Belt, all the while picking the pockets of their collective memory and turning cultural trash into comedy gold, decide to celebrate the 20th anniversary of what many fans believe to be the funniest TV show of all time. And where do they have their reunion? Not in Chicago, not in Cleveland, not in Traverse City where a mukluked dweeb might possibly show up but in California, a land peopled by silicone-filled air-kissing go-getters who have no time to use two words like smoke and fog when one will do and who need laugh tracks to tell them when something’s funny. I hope the original Buford Pusser (Joe Don Baker IS Mittens) is signing autographs in the next booth.

• 13 Brian O. on Jul 24, 2008 at 7:06 am

Remember Bill, when throwing chairs, go for an overhead fling. The “from the side” toss doesn’t look as dramatic, and if the chair slips from your grasp, can be demoralizing and embarassing. And for “Bob”s sake, DON’T throw it like a girl!

• 14 Queen Shadowrama on Jul 24, 2008 at 7:48 am

Well Bill, I’m flying to San Diego later this afternoon so I’ll see you guys tomorrow and at the Rifftrax show on Saturday! What kind of snacks would you like? I’ll bring enough for the whole panel (but don’t worry, I’ll only give you the best ones)!

• 15 Hugh on Jul 24, 2008 at 9:21 am

And if there’s anything you would like to say, or do, to me, Bill Corbett, Queen will be my eyes and ears at the Con. So, that obscenity-laden tirade that you’ve promised? Just give it to Queen, when you meet her. That $120 I owe you? Queen will be happy to pay it up. Just something to keep in mind.

• 16 R.A. Roth on Jul 24, 2008 at 10:10 am

From what I’ve heard through the Ape Vine, which is much more reliable than the chatter box grape vine, Jim Mallon is more or less a dickweed for cutting himself an extra large slice of the MST3K pie, AKA the WHOLE PIE. Is there any foundation to the rumor that he and he alone reaps dime-one off of the franchise? Did you and the other riffers neglect to read the fine print (”I, Jim Mallon, get it everything and you guys can kiss my ass.”)? If there’s a shred of truth to this, perhaps Jerry Springer and not Patton Oswald ought to host the “reunion”. So, which of you shall play the role of “lover #4″?

Randy

• 17 Anthony on Jul 24, 2008 at 11:19 am

Also “It feels like I’m wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.” “Stupid sexy Flanders!”

Except, LBPs, nor Flanders, are remotely sexy (crusty leather and a yellow man with a mustache…my jaundiced drunk former boss at Tesco could pull that off). Both are actually kind of scary, though in different ways.

• 18 Nanobots on Jul 24, 2008 at 11:32 am

I’ve never particularly cared about comic-con, but I really wish I could be there this year!

• 19 Nanobots on Jul 24, 2008 at 11:33 am

Bill only gets perverse pleasure from seeing other people wearing LBP’s.

• 20 Charlie W on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Oh man that sounds like a great time. I just hope that maybe someday you will post the live riffs on the site.

• 21 RemmieBarrow on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:45 pm

A good way to avoid being swallowed by the geek beast is to avoid eye contact at all times.

• 22 Barry on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:34 pm

While you’re there doing the barbarian thing, don’t forget to hear the lamentations of their women. After crushing your enemies and seeing them driven before you, there’s nothing like a little dessert.

• 23 Ryan on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Were they able to successfully reassemble Mike Nelson?

• 24 ShutterBun on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Not to contribute to the Jim-bashing that I’d wish we could all put on hiatus for the weekend, but one Joel “sleepy eyes” Hodgson also wets his beak in the MST3K DVD cup.

That being said, I’m really looking forward to seeing the crew reunited!

And kudos to Kevin for undergoing what must have been, in his case, a 9 hour body waxing session.

• 25 ShutterBun on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Here’s hoping we get to see Patton recreating some of his grating performances as one of the astronauts from a certain short-lived series of Comedy Central station I.D.’s

• 26 wakachiwaka on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Let Dennis Miller do Dennis Miller, Demi.

• 27 Tv Miller on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Don’t worry. I live 2 hours north and I was ram-rodded. Sold out b.s.! Someone offered scalped tickets for some ungodly toll. To hell with them. Actually they didn’t take credit so I was still assed out.

• 28 Bill Corbett on Jul 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Queen S —

Please introduce yourself under your proper royal moniker, so we know it’s you! Looking forward to meeting.

BC

• 29 Doktor Sleepless on Jul 25, 2008 at 12:49 am

I assumed the reunion thing would be Saturday. Hence me getting tickets for that. I work tomorrow at sam goody. Having spent Wednesday and Thursday working at the con I’d have thought my bosses would give me the rest of the days off. So I guess I’m two for two on the whole assumption….schpeel? schtick? schlamazzle? I don’t know…and people wonder why I fight Doctor Who. Though to be fair he was the one that ruined the “who’s on first” bit. Well, “Dr. Who’s on first”, I suppose. Hiyoo…

P.S.

Aztec comment was rather racist. I should know, I tell people I’m Aztec all the time.

P.P.S

I just like saying P.P.S. (yeah, I read what I type aloud.)

• 30 Queen Shadowrama on Jul 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Bill,

It was so great to meet you! You’re just as sweet as I imagined you’d be. I can’t wait to see you guys again for the Rifftrax show!