Jar Jar Like Me

July 28th, 2008 by Conor Lastowka · 7 Comments

jar jar shirt 1

Despite my mom’s Hot Dog picture getting destroyed in the voting by that happy-feeted sailor I still wore my Jar Jar Shirt downtown to our live show on Saturday. Throughout the whole experience, which was described by various friends of mine in attendance as a “laugh-o-rama”, “laughfest” and “this is what you do all day?”, I kept forgetting that I was wearing the hideous shirt.  Stepping out on the street, or into a nearby bar, or into the lobby to converse with our CEO who introduced me to his wife for the first time, quickly snapped me back to reality.  People stared.  You could see them mouth the unmistakable syllables “Jar Jar.”  A few clever people shouted “Hey, Jar Jar!”  They were, of course, mocking me, and I did not have a response readied.  It occurred to me early on that these people had no reason to believe that I wasn’t serious in my shirt wearing.  It was comic-con after all, and this guy was walking around town:

Beast
(picture stolen from here)

The best way to describe the experience would be with this classic Eddie Murphy SNL sketch, where he decides to go undercover as a white person.  All of a sudden he’s treated completely differently, and only he knows that nothing about him has actually changed.  Nothing this drastic occurred to me, of course, but even feeling the slightest bit scorned by the average comic con attendee was enough to open my eyes.  Have a watch below:

Tags: Comic Con · RiffTrax

• 1 ShutterBun on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:07 pm

One of my all time favorite SNL featurettes! Though I can’t imagine seeing the world through a geek’s perspective could have been a *terribly* big shock… But having Jar Jar’s visage effectively making you an “outcast among outcasts” would be pretty sobering, though.

• 2 suzanne on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:14 pm

No, I believe they were all staring at you saying “hey, isn’t that the lazy ass who failed to finish the Awesome State Quarters finals?”

Your coworkers are also starting to grumble a bit, as evidenced by what they wrote on my poster…

• 3 Queen Shadowrama on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Well, I liked your Jar Jar shirt. :-)

• 4 Melman on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:42 am

Hey Conor, what ever happened to the state quarters contest?

• 5 Courtney on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:23 am

Glad to see my mad photography skillz (with a z for added flavor) making the front page. I think I’ll give up the rat race and pursue photographing ridiculous t-shirts for a living.

Anyway, Conor, don’t worry. The greatest heroes of our time have been cast out by society. With that, I think it’s time you just accepted your destiny as Batman.

• 6 Conor Lastowka on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:40 am

Indeed, thank you for the picture. I take pride that pretty much every picture of me on Facebook has been A) uploaded by someone else and B) features me in some sort of ridiculous attire

• 7 Conor Lastowka on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:42 am

One day I’ll get to sign something, and they’ll all pay