Are all our L.A. area friends O.K.?

July 29th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 35 Comments

Earthquake movie

In case people elsewhere haven’t heard, L.A. got jolted with a “moderate” earthquake of 5.8 today. I called a pal out there who said it was scary for a bit, but nothing too damaging as far as he can see. Hope that remains true.

Details on CNN here.

Best joke to come out of it yet, if a bit inside-baseball, is a comment on Nikki Finke’s DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD:

“A 5.8 huh? Gee, Warner Bros. Accounting Dept. ran the profits and says it was only a 4.3.

Comment by Santayana — July 29, 2008 @ 12:11 pm”

A minor disaster, sure… but take comfort in knowing it will NOT scuttle the potential remake of TOP GUN.

• 1 unityofeffect on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I’m just outside of the LA area but we felt it. Everything seems to be okay.
    I think What The Buck’s response was adorable – ‘Glad you are all ok. 5.8? Pussies! The French Judge gave a 5.6!’

• 2 Andy McGaffigan on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I’m trying my best to feign emotional distress so i can go home and spend the rest of the afternoon eating red licorice and watching the spanish-dubbed version of dragon ball z.

• 3 unityofeffect on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Sounds like a plan. When it rains I think we should get half days. We’re so spoiled.

• 4 TeeJay on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Sending love to my fellow RiffTrax fans in CA from Chicago… hope everyone is okay.

• 5 Katie M. on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Ugh. I was on the top floor of a 12-story building. NOT FUN. No damage, though apparently my bedroom is wrecked. And I’m in the West Valley, sheesh!

Let’s not do that again, shall we?

• 6 Michael on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Nothing was felt here in Fresno. Course nothing usually happens here…

• 7 Mario "Asteroid" Panighetti on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I didn’t feel it up here in Sacramento. But hey, 5.8 is great for those guys. Sure, it’s no 7.1, but we can’t all have lived through the horror and destruction and mayhem of the Loma Prieta quake of ‘89. Let them have their 5.8.

• 8 Courtney on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Hey yay for other Chicago-ites.

Yes, much love sent westward. Hope everyone’s okay!

• 9 AWD! on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:26 pm

My books shifted an inch from their previous position! WORLD WIDE PANIC!!!!
    ‘Course, I’m not going to say that I wanted worse… heavens no. Either way, I’m good. Thanks for worrying.

• 10 Ninjew on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I felt a little something here in New Jersey.

It could be the four Baconators I had for lunch, though.

• 11 Ben on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Let’s see…smallish earthquake hitting Southern California vs a hurricane hitting Texas…did you Californians even lose your lights like we did down here? Nevermind, I forgot about you guys and your rolling blackouts.

• 12 RemmieBarrow on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Man, earthquakes, mudslides, fires…. you guys in California get all the newsworthy disasters.

• 13 Hugh on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:56 pm

So, is the coast currently toast?

• 14 SecretIdentityCrisis on Jul 29, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Hopefully, the most traumatic event to come from the quake was what this young lady twittered about:

• 15 TeeJay on Jul 29, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Yeah they’re awfully selfish hoarding all their disasters.

Share the wealth, would ya? LOL

• 16 Charlie W on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Oh my sweet Jesus. Tom Cruise can’t act his way out of a paper bag, let alone out of an air bubble. The only good thing that would ever come out of a sequel to that movie would be the hilarious Rifftrax that would ensue.

• 17 Bill Corbett on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Yyyyyiiikes!

• 18 Andrew C on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:23 pm

First quake I’ve been in (Moved to Cali in ‘04). At first I thought it was my fat neighbor running up the stairs, then my apartment swayed a bit and I was like “OH SHIT! THIS IS IT! THIS IS THE BIG ONE!” I stood up and I was wondering if I was supposed to hide under the doorway or run outside. I ended up just walking in circles in my bedroom for a few seconds before it ended.

It certainly wasn’t a 5.8 in Oxnard, but we definitely felt it. Girlfriend in Santa Barbara felt it too.

• 19 Tim on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Glad to hear that there’s a “mild” version of the earth’s tectonic plates grinding together, resulting in a cataclysmic upheaval of the planet’s surface. “Oh, don’t worry, it’s just the crust of the very planet we live on, buckling under immense pressure. No big deal.”

• 20 unityofeffect on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Holy shit! The absolute last place I’d wanna be during an earthquake.

• 21 unityofeffect on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Doorway.
    I remember my first big quake. I was about 9 and my British tutor freaked out more than I did. She ran out in to the street screaming.

• 22 Steve-O on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:29 pm

“When you did that just now, I felt the earth move.”

• 23 Tv Miller on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:30 pm

5.4 is far from what it’s like with pre-Subway Jared looking for his next child to eat in a Moon Bounce, also known as the 6.9 Northridge (’94) which was my favorite dance. 1 mile from epicenter — near the collapsed 5, and heck, being back in CA for 20 days, this was a welcome home treat. I think I’ll move to Japan next.

• 24 Tv Miller on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:32 pm

And…whooo!
    Top Gun 2: Goose Alive!

EXT. FLIGHT DECK
    ICEMAN
    Goose…you’re dangerous. Dangerously
    alive.

• 25 SecretIdentityCrisis on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:40 pm

In some places, you pay extra for that treatment.

• 26 MikeP on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:22 pm

How the hell did he fit in there??? How did he breathe???

• 27 MikeP on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:28 pm

MAVERICK
    You can be my wingman any time, Ice. Except for Mondays. That’s when I have auditing to remove my engrams and the souls of dead space aliens from my body. I’d tell you more about it but then you’d get pneumonia and go insane and then die. Rest assured that when I gain ultimate power over matter, energy, space, and time, you can still be my wingman even though I won’t require it.

ICEMAN
    What?

• 28 euphoriafish on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Consider whether the building you are in has loose bricks and stuff on the outer walls. You do not want to be hit by a falling brick while you are running outside.

• 29 To_Servo_Man on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Here in Long Beach (or “the LBC” for the un-Snoop-Dogged) we just thought we might slide into the ocean. When we didn’t, we all went back to work. Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

• 30 Brian O. on Jul 29, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Someone’s latte was slightly spilled, Starbucks is unavailable for comment on the spill, we will be covering it 24/7 until this tragic story reaches a conclusion.

Sorry, went through the 89 Loma Prieta quake and the 01 Nisqually quake in Washington State, basically everyone in California sleeps through anything below 6.0.

Oddly enough, seismologists don’t even use the richter scale anymore.

• 31 Erik @ RiffTrax on Jul 29, 2008 at 8:17 pm

I am pleased to inform you the San Diego only felt a minor shudder. The rednecks can go back to drinking their Natural Ice.

• 32 Mr. Slick on Jul 29, 2008 at 10:49 pm

I work in an “amusement park” in Buena Park, CA. The quake was the best ride there

• 33 Cornjob on Jul 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm

About the new Top Gun sequel…

“An insider said: ‘The idea is Maverick is at the Top Gun school as an instructor — and this time it is he who has to deal with a cocky new female pilot.’”

Wow, what an original and clever idea! Oh but now it’s a cocky female pilot! Boy oh boy, the tables sure have turned on poor old Maverick! They could even call it The Next Top Gun! When will those ultra-creative Hollywood minds stop churning out such brilliant gems?! I hope NEVER!

• 34 Brian O. on Jul 31, 2008 at 8:28 am

All they have to do is get TV’s Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica) to play the cocky new female pilot. Fanboys and girls alike will gobble it up!

Fund it!

• 35 Office Drone on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:47 am

While I wanted my birthday to be exciting, I never imagined running naked to the bedroom doorway while my house swayed like a drunken sailor and my boyfriend repeated “STAY CALM! STAY CALM!” like R. Lee Ermey.