BAD SONG OF THE WEEK*: I Kissed a Girl.

September 15th, 2008 by Kevin Murphy · 35 Comments

It started with my niece Laurel, and now all of my nieces and nephews are using their aural youthiness to identify the songs which most compel them to perceive the world as a horrible place.  This week’s offering:

KATY PERRY: I Kissed a Girl

It was inevitable that this song would hit the BSOtW list eventually; so now, before summer officially wanes, is your chance to help us put to bed the Bad Song of the Summer**. To the one,  all of my nieces have declared this song annoying, not because they were offended in any way, or because of any sense of cultural prudishness or sexual/social orientation.  That’s the beauty of bad music: it reaches across all cultural boundaries and annoys everyone.However, I feel bad for Katy Perry, who will have to sing this song at least ten thousand times before she dies.

*Not necessarily posted weekly.
**This song barely squeaked by Kid Rock’s All Summer Long.

Tags: Bad Music · RiffTrax · Trends · currency · video

• 1 Ariel on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:28 am

I hate this song because it gets stuck in my head.
    I nominate the PCD “When I grow up” for the next one! Its BAD BAD BAD.
    They want GROUPIES! And they SING about it!

• 2 MonkeyCheezPants on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:49 am

The hate for this song has been building for a while:

Also, Katy Perry needs to be sued/beaten with a sack of nickels by Jill Sobule, whose infinitely better song also called “I Kissed a Girl” (but, other than the title, has nothing in common) is getting lost in the shuffle.

• 3 Jeffrey Thames [King of Grief] on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:04 am

The only thing I can say in favor of “IKAG” is that the 1000th number one song of the rock era (per Billboard) is about bi-curiosity. Sure, it’s careerist bi-curiosity, and yeah, the song is absolute crap, but I must chuckle at its assured place in history (at least among chart buffs).

Quick show of hands: how many of you, when you first heard it, thought Perry was a) English and/or b) under 21?

• 4 Phillip on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:22 am

I nominate for your consideration, this early gem from the inimitable auteur “Soulja Boy”:

• 5 Brian O. on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:43 am

In my own odd observation of what the teenagers are singing these days, I was riding the bus a few years ago, when a bunch of teenaged girls started singing Tenacious D’s “F*ck her Gently”.

Just about blew my little mind, that did.

• 6 Katie M. on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:48 am

Hmmmm, clearly I’m in the minority here, but I rather dig Katy Perry. The problem seems to be that people actually take her seriously when even she doesn’t take herself seriously. You’d be better off trying to glean any deep meaning from the Spice Girls. Just relax and enjoy the cheesiness! ;-)

Let’s not forget this gem either –> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWbLkXhGEmo (Seriously, I’m pretty sure I know the guy she’s singing about!)

• 7 Kevin Murphy on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:31 am

Oh, believe me, I don’t take her seriously.

Glad to hear you step up and defend her though – we should always own our cheese.

-kwm

• 8 Casey on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:41 am

I don’t get the what the big deal is… I kissed a girl and liked it as well.

btw.. I have never heard the song… God blessed me with the ability to remain completely ignorant of songs like this.

• 9 Mystok on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:02 am

Oh great! It took me three days to get that song out of my head the first time and now you POST IT. I better stock on more Pepto.

Yes, Katy Perry can sing some good songs and yes, she is making fun of those “vogue-gay” girls, but couldn’t she made a better song?

Time to pull out the big guns — the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

• 10 Enron Hubbard on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:02 am

I’m all for each of us owning our own cheese, but, I once owned some cheese that belonged to Shields and Yarnell, and brother, let me tell ya, it was F###ing BORING!

• 11 Chantel on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:21 am

“All Summer Long” should have been the clear winner (loser?). Kid Rock rhymes the word “things” with the explosively creative and lyrical “things.” Words can’t describe how much this song annoys me.

• 12 Nanobots on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:35 am

I’ve actually been wondering why this didn’t show up on the “bad song of the week” much earlier. Think of how many weeks it has been out, and thus worthy of being recognized as the BSotW.

Mind you, it has been the bad song of the week for all those weeks, so it was just a question of getting officially recognized as such. Although I should admit that I haven’t heard the Kid Rock song to compare.

• 13 Redclaire on Sep 15, 2008 at 11:53 am

I’m gay and I’m a girl – well, a woman- (and have kissed them) and I hate this song!

Not only that but I’ve been forced to listen to it repeatedly over the summer as every gay club in the world seems to be playing it over and over again, in a variety of different remixes, each more horrible than the last.

AND I own cherry flavoured lip balm which causes me to start humming this unconsciously every time I put it on.

In conclusion, I approve this message.

• 14 Hugh on Sep 15, 2008 at 11:57 am

I’ve just realized that I previously “knew” Ms. Perry. She used to be a Christian pop/rock artist named Katy Hudson. Never listened to her music (still don’t), but… well, that’s weird. A Christian teenager rebelling? How unusual.

• 15 Scooter on Sep 15, 2008 at 12:25 pm

believe it or not, there’s a whole term to describe the whole not-gay-or-bi-but-acts-so-for-attention thing
    it’s called “heteroflexible”

• 16 Mr. Slick on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I hate this song.

What? I need a reason?

• 17 Mr. Slick on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I thought it was called Madonna

• 18 Melman on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I don’t get what’s so bad about this song? It just seems to be a very standard unconsequential song.

• 19 Melman on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Plus some of her other songs are actually kinda good.

• 20 RemmieBarrow on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Is singing atonally to a cat considered animal cruelty.

• 21 Enron Hubbard on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:56 pm

“Is singing atonally to a cat considered animal cruelty?”

I don’t know. Get that cat off her lap and I’ll try it…

What? Oh, you said *cat*. I guess I messed that up then…

Signed,
    Jonny Carson (Apocryphal?)

• 22 Rob T Firefly on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm

I heard this song, and disliked it.

• 23 Erin B on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:42 pm

The only reason I hate this song is because it gets stuck in my head and then I wind up singing everyhting to the tune! “I FED MY SNAKES AND THEY LIKED IT!!!” See!? Then all my co-workers and friends throw things at me. Oh well……

• 24 Barry on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I think the difference is, when Jill Sobule told us she kissed a girl, we believed her without her having to prove it to us.

• 25 Krud on Sep 16, 2008 at 6:10 am

Y’know, on quiet, puny monitor speakers and viewed in a small YouTube window, this song isn’t nearly as annoying as when blasted on a large TV screen. I could probably even do Excel work with it on. Though I wouldn’t be proud of myself afterward.

• 26 Neb on Sep 16, 2008 at 8:10 am

Sorry. Her vocal style irritates me. The thumping beat is good for dancing but headache inducing for simple listening. The subject matter is just as shallow as if it were a guy singing about “trying out a girl” just for fun, with the added negative of the bi-sexual implication. Thumbs down for me, and I can see why the Murphy nieces chose it. “Edgy” does not equal “good”.

• 27 Neb on Sep 16, 2008 at 8:11 am

I do that, sometimes unconsciously, with songs all the time. Luckily only the cats and chickens have to listen to it. No, wait, sometimes husband falls victim, poor man.

• 28 Natureboy (Ken) on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I just listened to it and yeah, it is not that good. However, the Kid Rock song is much worse, considering that most Atlanta radio stations have that dreck in heavy rotation. I guess I will just have to listen to my ancient Steely Dan CD’s until this song goes away.

• 29 Glyn on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:21 pm

I [guess?] it’s better than ‘I kissed a girl and blew chunks’.

• 30 Brian O. on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:02 pm

I forgot, it really helps if you imagine Mr. Smithers from The Simpsons singing that song.

• 31 Geena on Sep 17, 2008 at 9:11 am

That is weapons-grade awesome.

• 32 Geena on Sep 17, 2008 at 9:13 am

Don’t be a fool, man! Human ears weren’t meant to hear the entire Heavy Metal soundtrack in one sitting! Think of the children! THE CHILDREN!!!

• 33 Geena on Sep 17, 2008 at 9:16 am

Seconded. My partner loves this song, and every time she starts singing it, I just have to stop what I’m doing and gaze upon her, much as a deer gazes into headlights.

• 34 Geena on Sep 17, 2008 at 9:19 am

That happens to me a lot, too. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sung “Making Coffee” to the tune of “Making Christmas” from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

Have I mentioned that I’m a complete nerd?

• 35 R.A. Roth on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:20 am

Katy Perry’s planned follow-up is a far less shrill and far less absurd concept, I Kissed a Capybara. I mean, who wouldn’t?

Randy