A non-horrible thing

September 24th, 2008 by Mike Nelson · 21 Comments

Nothing funny here, but after a long and continuous stretch of bringing you nothing but horrible things (Timer the cheese mascot being the most glaring example), I thought I would try to present something pleasant. Now, in a world in which the sun does not set on the kingdom of Lil Wayne, I feel horribly out of step, but there’s nothing I can do about it. I can’t make myself like “I Kissed a Girl“. Currently, I am utterly obsessed with the song cycle “On Wenlock Edge” by Ralph Vaughan Williams. I’ll let the great tenor Ian Bostridge explain and give you an example:

The only example I could find of my favorite piece, “From Far from Eve and Morning”, is this, a decent reading from this fellow’s senior recital.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled day.

• 1 Casey on Sep 24, 2008 at 9:19 am

Amazing. But there is a sort of Rick Astlyesque thing going on here. (I initially thought Rick Astly was a large black fellow.. and I am sure I am not alone.)

• 2 Smuttynose on Sep 24, 2008 at 9:27 am

Nice. It fills one with a nice feeling, and hope for the future.

Now, back to rocking-and-rolling all night and partying ever-y-day.

• 3 Michelle on Sep 24, 2008 at 9:49 am

Just what my day needed. Many thanks.

• 4 jason on Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20 am

Mike Mike Mike, you of all people should know not to post something so droll and serious on a day such as this, when Clay Aiken (who kinda looks a little like the fellow in that first video) officially took himself off the market by declaring himself gay (well, off one market anyway. Guys rejoice!). Ladies, here is the National Suicide Prevention Directory: http://www. darkmother. com/nspd2. html. Use it if you need to…

• 5 Neb on Sep 24, 2008 at 10:41 am

How on Earth does such a powerful, full, well-rounded tenor voice come from such a whisper thin fellow?! I’m all agog. I also love R Vaugh Williams. Thanks for giving me something new to covet.

• 6 Danni on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:02 am

I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking the sun does not rise and set on Lil Wayne (or any other current Pop or Hip-Hop ’star’). Thanks so much for sharing!

Also many birthday wishes to your lovely wife today!

• 7 Enron Hubbard on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:29 am

Trusting that the above poster knows whereof she speaks (I could verify, but I’m too busy illegally downloading a torrent of Li’l Wayne’s new video: “Twelve Winded Fo Sheezy, Bitchaz!”), allow me to extend a Happy B’Day to “Mr. B”!

• 8 Edgewriter on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:30 am

That tenor is the reason why Brit’s are stereotyped as being ugly. His voice is beutiful, but watching him sing is worse than watching John Mayer sing.

• 9 MST3Kelly on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:33 am

nice! very soothing.
    please hug Bridget for us on her special day!

• 10 MST3Kelly on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:35 am

I found him quite handsome in a Hugh Grant/young David Bowie sort of way.
    but I’m a sucker for Britons.

• 11 Danni on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm

True…how far can you really trust the IMDB and Satellite news, after all? ;-) Makes me think of Tom Servo in his announcer voice: “Is it REALLY Bridget’s birthday??? Stay tuned for our coverage of this breaking story!”

• 12 Clint on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:22 pm

The speakers on my MacBook aren’t doing the YouTube audio any justice. I need an SACD or DVD Audio recording of this to play on my Rotel amplifier sent through 8ft runs of .12 gauge cable to Paradigm Studio 100 speakers.

Either that or lower the TV volume of Judge Judy in the background.

• 13 Judith on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Beautiful. Thanks so much, Mike! I’d love to hear more of your classical music faves.

Judith

• 14 Edgewriter on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:48 pm

If Hugh Grant lost about 30 lbs, had a neck made out of a piece of spaghetti, and looked like he was chewing a lemon while he sang.

• 15 RemmieBarrow on Sep 24, 2008 at 1:58 pm

It is nice to know that Classical music is not obsessed with looks like other kinds of music are.

• 16 Rob III on Sep 24, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Classy stuff!

Kind of hard to find moderately obscure classical music performances on youtube.

I hate to post a dead link, but I want to get in the spirit. Here’s the best I could find of my favorite piece — played very well by random people!

Concertino For Flute And Piano Op.107:

PS the mom rocks.

• 17 Gamera on Sep 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm

It takes courage to end a song with a loud fart.

Was the fat guy’s toot an accident, an ad-lib, or part of the original score?

• 18 blablover5 on Sep 25, 2008 at 8:50 am

It gives me flash backs to my lowly days as a kennel attendant at a local vet clinic when the vet would only put on and listen to NPR (Nebraska public radio).

I’d definetly much rather have someone working on my pet who listens to classical than someone who cranks it up to Lil Wayne.

Just imagine what the sutures would look like. Poor spayed kitten would have “Pimp” across her stomach.

• 19 Judith on Sep 25, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I’ve always liked that Chaminade flute piece. Too bad the youtube sound is so rotten.

Judith

• 20 Invisible Cracker Mom on Sep 28, 2008 at 9:19 am

Handsome is as handsome does.

• 21 Lucie on Oct 3, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I agree, it was beautiful. I am inspired to go and find more of this cycle. Thanks Mike!