Rufus Amos Adams

September 29th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 15 Comments

As sung about by the RiffTones in our recent, countrified Song Fu entry

And illustrated by our friend Len Peralta at Jawbone Radio (though it took him forever to come up with it, sheesh!)…

And beloved by geckos everywhere…

And seen at many a Comic-Con

Rufus Amos Adams

Listen to other ballads about other Rufus Amos Adamses HERE, and vote for your favorite. (Scroll down to Round 3 Challenge.)

• 1 Ninjew on Sep 29, 2008 at 5:24 am

This is my favorite song so far! The harmonies are fantastic, and the orchestrations are phenomenal!

It sounded like there was a bit of ukulele and mandolin in there as well banjo – how much of this was live instruments as opposed to digital?

And how do you organize all this with you and Kevin being in Minnesota and Mike in San Diego?

• 2 Danni on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:32 am

Good question Ninjew – I was wondering that myself.

Also, Bill – pass along to Mike that I’m doing my part to help you guys crush the competition: every once in a while my IP changes on my laptop at work and I was able to vote for you guys TWICE! I might go around during lunchtime and sneak on my co-workers’ computers and try to get a few more votes in today as well…

• 3 MST3Kelly on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:04 am

there is no better way to begin a Monday morning, than with hysterical laughter. thank you!
    Mr. Nelson’s ‘Band that Played California Lady- Behind the Music’ baritone was warm and fulsome; Mr. Corbett’s hyper-cracker trilling was hysterical and a bit unnerving; and Mr. Murphy’s rich, heavenly harmonies sailed out of my speakers in glorious form.
    I like this the best of the three. ‘His gecko is the truest friend he has’- brilliant! the fan-boy teeters between pathos and righteousness, and was lampooned magnificently.
    thanks again guys, for the gift of laughter.

• 4 Bill Corbett on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:23 am

Thanks. Answering your Qs:

It’s a combination of live instruments and digital.

Kevin actually played the mandolin, I actually played guitar. The rest is digi loops.

Re the geographical divide — we employ the Magic of Technology. Looping in tracks, sending ‘em back and forth.

Kevin puts it all together. The little fella is becoming a very skilled music producer.

• 5 Charlie W on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:51 am

I’ve already voted for the Rifftones from a previous post and if I could a thousand more times, I would. By the way it seems Bill has been doing all the posts around here lately, shouldn’t the others be pulling their own weight? Yes Bill CAN support a site like this but that doesn’t mean he should have to! Now if you’ll excuse me I must flip my bacon.

• 6 Erik on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:24 am

That drawing looks like a professor I had in high school.

• 7 Neb on Sep 29, 2008 at 11:05 am

The Rifftones utterly own the faux country/western genre, as far as I’m concerned…but then I’ve known that since the “Galactic Public Radio” sketch from MST3k. Seriously, my husband, who watches MST3k with me only under duress, occasionally belts out “Hangin’ Around With a Rodeo Clown” or “Big Woman Blues” when the fit overcomes him (perhaps he’s hypoglycemic?) and then giggles hysterically.

• 8 RemmieBarrow on Sep 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Funny, that drawing does not look like a Rufus or an Amos. I always pictured someone with that name looking like an old time prospector or a hillbilly farmer. But to each his/her own.

• 9 Melman on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Isn’t that kinda the entire point of the song?

• 10 MonkeyCheezPants on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:43 pm

The Rifftones have been dominating in general, but on this song they completely owned. I feel sorry for the other artists as they drown in their own blood and tears.

And, Todd, go to hell.

• 11 camcat on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:28 pm

You had Professors in high school?? We were lucky to get teachers.

• 12 camcat on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I would have sworn the lyrics claimed that Rufus filed his BVDs by year. How would you tell? Wear or stain pattern? Hmmmm, I’m going to fret over this, I can tell.

• 13 Russ Rogers on Oct 3, 2008 at 5:57 am

Congratulations on on your Rufus Amos Adams triumph. The Fu is strong within you. Your blood obviously has a high Melodi-Chlorian count.

• 14 フィンペシア通販 on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:16 am