And a hey nonny ho!

October 24th, 2008 by Mike Nelson · 25 Comments

The other morning I left a message on a friend’s cell, hopped in my car and began to sing along, loudly, to an album of English Art Songs by Gerald Finzi. (Chances are you are not familiar with English Art Songs, and that speaks well of you. Congratulations. To explain, they are the gayest things ever created by man. I like them a lot.) I was about halfway through my second full-throated rendering of an English Art Song when I heard from my cell phone, “The message is full. Press 1 to deliver…” and realized I had just given my friend a once-in-a-lifetime gift. To demonstrate just how precious this gift is, here are the songs:

The 2nd one is a setting of Shakespeare’s “It Was a Lover and His Lass.”

Hey, at least I didn’t pull a George Brett. (If you don’t know what it is I refer to, count yourself lucky, and please don’t search it.)

• 1 Suzanne on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:21 pm

This blog post for the win, Alex. With a hay and a hoe and a hey-nonny-no.

• 2 secretidentitycrisis on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:26 pm

This friend of yours will be saving the message to an MP3 file, and giving it to you to post on the blog, right? Please say yes!

I am already picturing you in your sailor suit singing these songs… which may be the gayest thing ever created by my imagination.

• 3 C-Nug on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Damn you Mike Nelson. Why must you always reference things which I know not of and then forbid me from learning of them?

• 4 Heather on Oct 24, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Hey, I recognize the second one… Gene Wilder sang a version of that song in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!

• 5 ServosLongLostUnclesCousinNephew on Oct 24, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Embarrassingly enough, I actually know both songs and on strange, drunken occasions, tend to sing-a-long as well. I should be killed.

• 6 BEMaven on Oct 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Sorry, sweetheart. I’m only hiring dancers for the gig in Singapore. And you didn’t even enclose a photo showing your legs.

But I might need a warbler for dinner theater in Abergavenny this winter.

Stay in touch.

• 7 chrismartindeed on Oct 24, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Are you sure you’re not confusing Wilder with the Oompah-Loompahs?

I always do.

• 8 Melman on Oct 24, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I must know about this George of Brett of which you speak.

• 9 RemmieBarrow on Oct 24, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Play both at the same time and see if you can make anything out of the confusion.

• 10 Dames Like Her on Oct 24, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Wow. That stuff makes Gilbert and Sullivan sound like Rammstein.

It’s nice and light and sweet, though. Would be perfect to trill in a sylvan glen.

• 11 justhesh on Oct 24, 2008 at 7:59 pm

“Hey, at least I didn’t pull a George Brett. ”

You mean the time he got ejected from the game after he put too much pine tar on his bat?

And by “too much pine tar on his bat”, I mean he messed his pants.

• 12 ShawnBoy on Oct 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Wow Mike didn’t know you could carry a tune. That is you singing those two song’s isn’t it?

Say can you sing ” Old Man River” or “Nothin left sep’a Soup Bone” ?? Those are my favorites, well to be fair, those would be my favorites if I had lived about a hundred years ago.

• 13 ShawnBoy on Oct 24, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Oh now, you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself… Ok, we’re here, if you could just place your head on this block, it’ll all be over soon… Thick headed son-of-a why won’t you die…. Ahhhhhh!!! Great just great the one time I need a real axe, and I grabbed my Acme axe by mistake. Be a dear won’t you, wait here, I’ll be right back.

• 14 ShutterBun on Oct 24, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Going out on a limb here, but I suspect the CD label “Telarc” is to blame here, as they seem to have made a habit of recruiting budduing audiophiles with high quality recordings, then subjegating them to bizarre recordings such as the preceeding, with their annual “samplers.” I suspect Mike is (and has been) a frequent victim.

• 15 ShawnBoy on Oct 24, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Oh great thanks a lot, now it’s the gayest thing in my imagination too. I hope your happy…. Gah there he is again, and now he’s singing:

” Over the hills lets go men… We’re shoving right off for home… Shoving right off for home… Shoving right off for home again… Out to sea let’s go men…. When will we be home again… Nobody knows where or when… We’re shoving right off for home …. Shoving right off for home….. Shoving right off for home again”

• 16 Laughing Sal on Oct 25, 2008 at 12:06 am

How many Rifftraxes would I have to buy in order to hear the message you left for your friend?
    Friday was payday…

• 17 Tv Miller on Oct 25, 2008 at 7:51 am

I feel like I don’t have to be in the closet anymore with my listening to Melissa Etheridge. Thanks Mike.

• 18 Natureboy (Ken) on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm

The guy that made fun of Kenny Loggins listens to this stuff? Scandal!

• 19 Heather on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:46 pm

No, definitely Willy Wonka. I remember. He was pedaling a bike and singing the “Spring time, the only pretty ring time” bit. Not the same tune, but same lyrics.

Regardless, truly it is a gift more precious than gold. Mike, I am sure we can all agree that you are the most generous friend on the planet, and I salute you, sir.

• 20 greg on Oct 25, 2008 at 3:16 pm

• 21 Teaser on Oct 26, 2008 at 7:16 am

My buddies and I always sing those songs whilst sitting round the kegger…..

• 22 Spookette on Oct 26, 2008 at 10:15 am

I just know I’m going to get addicted to these songs.

• 23 Shamalama on Oct 26, 2008 at 8:04 pm

That Hey nonny nonny part immediately reminded me of Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Didn’t they sing something like that in the intro rap?

I said Hey!
    Hey!

I said Hey!
    Hey!

I said…
    Hey nonny nonny and a ho ho ho!

• 24 deldobuss on Nov 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Yes, it is from Shakespeare(as Mike noted), and Willy Wonka quoted several obscure literary lines in that movie.

Oh, I loved the songs Mike. Your friend received a treat indeed.