Song Phooey!

October 25th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 31 Comments

songfu 1 2 3 4 1

Though it’s quite rare to find over-the-top outrage from anyonmous commentors on the Internet, we RiffTones seem to have made some such people angry in our latest round of Song Fu. Seems we didn’t take the assignment seriously enough. We apologize to those we hurt…

comic book guy

…and we realize it was entirely unpredictable that we might not treat things with our usual solemnity. We were wrong, VERY wrong, and we regret it deeply. (They’re right, after all… there was no guy in JAWS who wanted to be eaten by a shark, and we were irresponsible to imply otherwise. Damn our collective eyes!)

And so, to atone… we are now required to treat this with the formality demanded, and ask you all to help us DESTROY OUR OPPOSITION. It is (apparently) a deadly serious matter, so for the love of all that’s holy, for the future of children everywhere, to prevent global warming and poor restaurant service, go VOTE!

DESTROY!

DESTROY!

DESTROY (but do it politely)!

**UPDATE BY MIKE**

Bill is right — light-hearted internet song contests against good natured and talented competitors are NOT THE PLACE FOR DISPLAYS OF FUN OR WHIMSY! Upon reflection, it’s clear that our song entry sounded suspiciously like the kind of song that might have been written by a certain distinctly mustachioed foreign leader…

thatguy

• 1 AmandaGal on Oct 25, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Well, I thought it was very serious. I’m offended that they’re offended. You knew that Brody was really a little bit in love with those naughty sharks. They make men throb.

And check on the pipes on Mrs. C! Who knew?

• 2 Jason on Oct 25, 2008 at 6:17 pm

I apologize on behalf of any of my over-zealous supporters.
    This is just a silly internet competition after all.
    It’s not like we are trying to find a cure for cancer or anything.
    I have in fact posted a plea to keep things a bit more civil, but it is still awaiting moderation.,

Again, I apologize for any poopy-pantses.

• 3 The RiffTones enter the final round of Song Fu! « deep ape on Oct 25, 2008 at 6:34 pm

[...] as Bill notes on the Rifftrax blog, some of the Song Fu voters have found something to complain about. Namely, a few of them are upset [...]

• 4 Heather on Oct 25, 2008 at 7:28 pm

I really enjoyed both songs. Obviously, the Jaws was much more out-and-out silly, while Jason’s was a much more subtle pastiche, but they were both masterful. But, thank you, Internet, for once again turning our fun into dysfunction!

• 5 Ken Plume on Oct 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Song Fu was created to give greater exposure to singer-songwriters, and to HAVE FUN. That’s it. Just to have fun. The ability to vote was just a functional way of having things progress and give it some kind of shape. People take fun far too seriously. I wish I could fish-slap every one of them.

• 6 Bill Corbett on Oct 26, 2008 at 8:14 am

Hi Jason! Thanks for visiting our little corner of the web.

Your song is great, and all of your work has been excellent. Congratulations.

And folks, please do consider voting for Jason if you like his song. He’s a very nice guy, and not at all a poopy-pants.

• 7 Bill Corbett on Oct 26, 2008 at 8:20 am

Hi Ken. SONG FU has been a blast.

And thanks to Coulton’s fertility, we lasted longer than I thought we might. (Luckily, we never had to write a polka.)

• 8 OmegaRowsdower on Oct 26, 2008 at 1:17 pm

[Turns hat backwards for Over The Top Outrage]

I agree with angry guy about your lyrics being “abit snooty”… Yuppies >:(

I genuinely expected the RiffTones to keep the stiff upper lip they had up to this point…

While I accept your apology, my world has been shaken to the core…

If the upcoming Indiana Jones RT is filled with this much zaniness and isn’t somber, solemn and the downer I expected, well… I just may edit the RiffTrax wikipedia page with an angry sad smiley…

[/Outrage, turns hat normal person fashion]

Now if you excuse me, I’m going to take my excement-filled trousers to other needed places on the intrawebs…

(and if anybody changes the RT Wiki page to include an angry sad smiley, it wasn’t me as I don’t know how to change a wikipedia page… [too lazy to click and learn] it was something said in a moment of angry passion and its too late to take it back…)

• 9 OmegaRowsdower on Oct 26, 2008 at 1:19 pm

That should be excrement…. :(

Just imagine the “r” there

• 10 ServosLongLostUnclesCousinsNephew on Oct 26, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Yikes. This is more than likely the same group of people that actually think the movies riffed on by MST3K were masterpieces of film and in no way found humor in a supposed actress who cannot pronounce simple words such as “werewolf”, nor a condition called “rogey panty complex”.

Yeesh.

• 11 ServosLongLostUnclesCousinsNephew on Oct 26, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Correction: RoJI Panty Complex

• 12 NanoRiffites on Oct 26, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Yeah, anyonmous commentors are usually such gentle souls. Wouldn’t harm a fly.

In the sense that the mother in “Psycho” wouldn’t harm a fly, that is.

• 13 norgavue on Oct 26, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Good effort on both sides. Although did they mean the 1970’s or the 70’s. You guys already took care of the latter.

• 14 ShawnBoy on Oct 26, 2008 at 10:25 pm

The above message by Bill Corbett was brought to you by The Electric Company, Home Time Books, Gerber, and the letter M.

Personally … wait I need more room so my message will be further down this page … Now everyone will have to read more to get to my message …. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … Victoria err victory is mine!!!!

• 15 ShawnBoy on Oct 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I don’t have to imagine it…. You left the “r” right where it should be… Or, am I missing something as I so often do?

• 16 ShawnBoy on Oct 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Now presenting my thoughts, what you were expecting someone important?

Seems to me that there are an awful lot of these kind’s of people all over the net. The crash a perfectly good debate with threat’s, hatred, and ignorance. I for one wish there was an age limit … let me back up, as most sites have an age limit upon sign up. The sad thing is more and more kid’s are lying in order to voice their opinion’s. To be fair when I say kid’s I am not just referring to children but to possibly these children parent’s. Some adult’s, and I have had the misfortune of meeting a few, act very immature while blogging, etc. I’ll cite an example and give you a link to prove my point. Over at the below website people are all worked up about the new Star Trek movie due out in 2009. I merely skimmed the 20 plus pages of arguing, to find death threat’s, sheer anger, and contempt over the production of this movie. People actually were calling it bad saying the actor’s couldn’t act, the set design’s are not historical to the series, etc. I, using my login name there, attempted to interject a small bit of intellectual conversation to the mix. Sadly it didn’t work at all, so in seeing this I quietly left as swiftly as I had joined. It does go to show just how insane some people truly are. If you would like to see for yourself, go to:

As of this posting the total pages there are now at 34, how very sad that even on the internet man cannot find peace. Perhaps ladies and gentleman, humankind will evolve just enough to hold a decent conversation. Then again maybe some day I’ll evolve a bigger wiener, or better yet a sport’s car.

• 17 MonkeyCheezPants on Oct 27, 2008 at 2:12 am

Actually, this behaviour has been codified into a coherent theory since 2004:

• 18 NanoRiffite on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:53 am

In his initial message, he wrote “I’m going to take my excement-filled trousers to other needed places”. No “r” there.

Until he clarified it with the reply, I thought he had really meant “excitement-filled trousers”.

• 19 NanoRiffite on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:58 am

The problem has nothing to do with age. Unless you limit discussions to dead people, at least some people will get hot under the collar and a discussion can spin out of control.

[serious comment:]
    I’ve worked on and through computer-based communication tools for over 25 years now, and I think the thing which helps the most is to have a real picture of the person next to each of their replies. I think it helps to remind everyone that there’s a real person on the other side of the discussion, and not just a robot who is trying to ruin your day.

• 20 Dames Like Her on Oct 27, 2008 at 8:30 am

Hear, hear!

• 21 Steve-O on Oct 27, 2008 at 10:29 am

Agreed. The Internet needs a good, hard spanking.

• 22 Katana on Oct 27, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Here I got all excited to see a picture from “The Producers”, but everybody’s going on about anonymous commenters and wanting to slap the internet.

Now I just feel silly.

• 23 ShawnBoy on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:13 am

Thank you for your serious comment as I completely agree. We as a people regardless our age, though most do indeed act like kids, are lazy in our politeness. A good example happened to me a week ago. There is this gentleman that as a part of my job I must call every hour. We work for the same company but are placed at different site’s. Until a week ago we had never met, we live in the same town, etc. One day a week ago I needed a way home and he offered. The point to all of this is that while talking to him on the phone I felt more secure in being who I am. I have told him all about MST3K and Rifftrax, we talk about a lot of different topics. However, once I was sitting there in his car and realized he was someone I should show more respect, my attitude my very manner changed to that of a child to a parent. Never over the phone had I called him sir, I usually call him by his name. Once in his car though, I did call him sir, and my goofy self was more toned down. The next night at work when I called him he told me he was glad to finally have the chance to meet me and though I was polite to him he preferred me not to call him sir. We as a people are like this, in person we are polite people but when we are on the internet or talking on the phone we tend to get carried away. We do or say things that we normally would not do or say. For me I normally would treat older people with more respect. When I’m on the phone talking I just tend to forget myself and the respect is thereby lost.

• 24 Russ Rogers on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:50 am

Let me be the first to congratulate the winning Masters of Fu. Your FU was the strongest. Your blood is coursing with melodi-chlorians! I hope the RiffTones will have the time to defend their title in Master of Fu #3! Rock ON!

• 25 Jason on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:04 am

Darnit! I wanted to be the first to congratulate them!
    Oh well.
    Congrats to you RiffTones!
    I spent all night working on a soliloquy, but I apparently wrote it down in my daughters loose-leaf notebook, which she took to school with her.
    So while she is probably turning in a paper to her geography teacher right now, detailing her plans for world domination, and how they have not seen the last of her..
    I am here, flying by the seat of my pants trying to come up with some catchy phrase that will let you know I will be back, and that you have not seen the last of me.
    So,again.. Congrats to you guys. You wrote great songs throughout the competition..
    But that said..
    YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE LAST OF ME!!!!!!

• 26 NanoRiffite on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:14 am

I believe the correct phrase is: “I’ll be bock”

Er, no, wait… that’s for the Oktoberfest beer competition.
    Nevermind.

• 27 MonkeyCheezPants on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:16 am

You forgot to add, “Bwahahahahaha!”

• 28 Mike Nelson on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:25 am

Thanks, Jason. Great songs all around.

Next challenge:

• 29 K.T. Slager on Oct 28, 2008 at 10:04 am

I can’t see! All those misplaced apostrophes have blinded me!

• 30 フィンペシア通販 on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:12 am