Ironic Meta-Costumes, now with Snark!

October 28th, 2008 by Mike Nelson · 49 Comments

Halloween is fast approaching and you don’t want to be caught wearing something macabre. That would be so straightforward. Consider these alternatives:

FW5159

Just sexy? Or is it smirking at a 60’s version of sexy? Or is it circling back to make fun of the Laugh-In, cartoon-y send-up of sexy? Or is it a snarky meta-commentary on our attitudes about the prison system? I can’t tell. But I like it.

820163

Funny because it’s not funny? Or is it not acknowledging that referee = blind jokes are literally hundreds of years old, and going for a straight ahead joke? The burden is all on you.

90933

He’s the “wayHIGH patrol”. Yep.

59708

Take one moment and imagine – stay with me – imagine going through the process of purchasing this costume and wearing it to a Halloween party. It’s literally impossible to imagine, isn’t it?

17423 1

My gosh, figuring out on what level this is to be taken — I can’t even begin. But you know what would be funny? Punching this guy in the crotch.

59543

Now imagine if you somehow purchased this costume (impossible, I know, but it’s a thought experiment), wore it to a party and then 10 or 20 minutes into the party you suddenly realized what you had done. Think of the waves and waves of shame and revulsion that would wash over you. You wouldn’t sleep till February.

• 1 doggans on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:59 pm

If you wear an ironic costume in an ironic fashion during a party ironically celebrating an ironic holiday, does it eventually become sincerity?

• 2 Queen Shadowrama on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Somehow I imagine Kevin wearing that first costume, and somehow I think Mike won’t like it as much anymore…

• 3 Ninjew on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:37 pm

I don’t want my costumes to have Snark.

Now, if they have _Schnappi_ – THAT’S a costume *I* want!

• 4 Barry on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Be right back. I’m scrolling back up to that first picture.

• 5 Yanni on Oct 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm

It’s a good thing that toga comes with a John Belushi medallion, otherwise we’d have no idea that the guy wearing it is dressed up as a toga-wearing guy.

• 6 NanoRiffite on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I think the first picture should be used to replace the penguin on the main rifftrax page! Imagine her with the little bubble saying “Plastic. I’m talking to a Plastic Plant. I’m still doing it!”

• 7 NanoRiffite on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:56 pm

The “goth music” *idea* was cute, but the costume is horrifying. It’s bad enough imagine a woman buying it (wouldn’t any woman love to go to a costume party as a cow?), but it’s much worse if a guy were to wear it…

Sorry.

• 8 Ryan on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:57 pm

So your wife found you looking at the first picture and you hastily had to post this blog with that and the other pictures as an excuse.

• 9 Anthony on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Yes. After which you’ll be sucked into a hipster blackhole and crushed into a singularity, being spat out the back of this blackhole as some kind of super compressed smug asshole.

• 10 Anthony on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:33 pm

I’m so very glad for my historical costume themed parties. Which actually go over pretty well… Nerds and geeks need excuses to drink I suppose. That and I suppose guys will dress like a naked muckraker if it gets them a chance to see a number of women in diaphonous robes (Vestal Virgins and Oracles, you save my party every year).

• 11 Katie M. on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:44 pm

This article begs the question — Mike, when are you gonna write another book??!

• 12 Brian O. on Oct 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm

You know Mike, you kinda look like the Way High Patrol guy.

Got any dreadlock wigs we oughta know about, hmmm? Some Bob Marley on autoplay eh? Some sandalwood incense to cover certain smells?

• 13 Ben on Oct 29, 2008 at 4:20 am

Here is a good link to costumes that will make you laugh or cry hysterically and question whether there really is a God or not…

• 14 Queen Shadowrama on Oct 29, 2008 at 5:11 am

You know what really bugs me about that first picture now that I look at it more? The way the light is hitting the girl makes that line going through her belly button look less like a shadow and more like a hairy happy trail…

I’m gonna go lie down.

• 15 Enron Hubbard on Oct 29, 2008 at 8:39 am

Too astute, Ryan! He’ll never ‘fess up.

• 16 RemmieBarrow on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:52 pm

CAUTION…Too much SNARK in any costume can lead to catastrophic metadoom!

• 17 Brian T on Oct 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm

So, why the hell is Terry Gilliam dressed as a “Way-High” Patrolman?

• 18 TeeJay on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I don’t know though – I could picture Bill in that costume a lot easier than Mike.

And of course, Kevin brought more class to a toga than anyone. :)

• 19 Joshua-kun on Oct 30, 2008 at 5:52 am

I have to agree with you there, Brian. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the picture.

What are you into, Nelson? Confess!

• 20 Pezdrake on Oct 30, 2008 at 11:25 am

The above pictured people have jobs doing this. Think about that.

Someone hired them and said, “You’re going to wear this damned ‘Goth Milk’ costume and paint your face up while your at it you little snot-nosed punk. Don’t give me that look! You know how many Halloween costume models come through here thinking their hot shit every season? Half of them are out in that alley giving blowjobs for crack now so if you want to get an attitude there are a million other kids like you just begging to put on an $@&!-up cow costume and thank me for it too.” (admittedly I used some imaginiation there).

In any case, they got a paycheck for this that they then used to pay rent and buy groceries, or in the case of the first pic, paid surgery bills. Think about that. It’s just weird.

• 21 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:22 am

My rant’s go in order of picture so I’ll number them.

1. Yummy, Candy and she’s wearing stripes.
    2. The Ref is blind so yes this works.
    3. I didn’t realize they made a Weekend at Bernie’s 10
    4. Are those udder’s are you just happy to see me?
    5. Yea the remake of Animal House was disappointing.
    6. Juan Valdez and his trusty goat!!! Oh, mule!!!

The last costume say’s ass on so many levels….

• 22 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:24 am

Oh like that South Park episode where everyone smell’s their own farts?

• 23 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:25 am

Personally if it’s rented I just want it not NOT to smell like the fat hairy ape that rented the year before.

• 24 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:27 am

What would really be sad…. is if you could click on her picture and heard Austin Power’s say ” She’s a man baby … yea !!! “

• 25 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:30 am

Well it was this or give up the playboy’s locked safely away in his basement.

• 26 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:33 am

Yea really, in the next few year’s who knows… we may see three year old’s wearing Barney and Elmo costumes again… I shudder to think!!!!

• 27 ShawnBoy on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:37 am

Wow…. and I thought I was the only person visiting the Rifftrax Blog that had such a far out mind set… Right on, that was really a great comment!!! Though imho I think the person wearing the cow costume could be a guy or a girl. Hard to tell with a costume like that and all the makeup.

• 28 Ariel on Oct 31, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I keep trying to get the almost husband to go in one of those ‘couple’ costumes- you know, ball and chain, plug and socket, lock and key…. But he says they are dirty!

• 29 Heather on Oct 31, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I actually saw someone wearing the Blind Ref costume at work today. Thankfully, I also saw someone wearing a Dread Pirate Roberts costume (with sword, although no Holocaust Cloak, much to my chagrin), so it all worked out okay.

• 30 フィンペシア通販 on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:11 am