Have a great Thanksgiving

November 27th, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 27 Comments

This is a day set aside for gratitude, but it’s only in these dotage years that I’ve finally appreciated what that means. Real gratitude can’t mean being thankful for everything being perfect in your life, all the time. Alas, that will never happen. I think it’s about appreciating what you have.

I’m a very lucky human, and genuinely thankful today. I hope to be more so in everyday, non-turkey-feasting days to come. In the meantime, many thanks to all you crazy cats for occasionally visiting and having some laughs with us here. Wishing you, your families, friends, pets, and favorite objects a great Thanksgiving. (And if times are tough right now, here’s hoping that your days get better real soon.)

Here’s a fun Thanksgiving clip from TV days gone by:

WKRP in Cincinnati: Thanksgiving Turkey Bomb! @ Yahoo! Video

• 1 Barry on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:14 am

Thanks much to you and the crew for making us crazy cats seem just a little less crazy by comparison! ;)

And for keeping us entertained, of course!

• 2 Ben Murphy on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:21 am

Many thanks to Mike, Kevin, Bill and the rest of you turkeys out there. Stay mellow!

• 3 Sampo on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:23 am

• Point of information: WILD turkeys CAN fly. They do it my front yard all the time. Mr. Carlson apparently chose farm-raised turkeys for his stunt.
    • A classic television moment
    • There is a vague connection to MST3K. Much like MST, WKRP has serious rights issues–in WKRP’s case, the show used a lot of great music in the background, music that was far too expensive to clear later on. The recent DVD release, and the reruns you occasionally see on WOR, feature replacement music, in some case making some of the jokes pointless. Ah, well…
    • Have a rights problem-free Thanksgiving, everybody!

• 4 Lucie on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:36 am

Many thanks to all of you for the joy that is Rifftrax :-) I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, a very merry Christmas and a happy new year! x

• 5 Bill Corbett on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:37 am

Wild turkeys are also pretty ornery. My in-laws always get them in their yard, and the only thing that seems to scare them off is our little Jack Russell Terrier. Then yes, they do fly up into the trees. Seems wrong aerodynamically, but it works.

Confronted by us humans though, they just stare: “What are you lookin’ at, you un-wattled freak?”

(May your feasting and rights issues go well today, Chris.)

• 6 Nick Fechter on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:48 am

Sadly I won’t be able to enjoy my Thankgiving because I just had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so the only thing I’m going to be able to eat is mashpotatoes :( . But I hope you, Kevin, and Mike a have a great holiday, I would watch some MST3K
    or Rifftrax but I’ll prbably seriously injure myself for laughing to hard!

• 7 Bullwinkle on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:48 am

Hah, thanks for this Bill. I looked up this EXACT clip last night. It’s always stuck in my memory.

• 8 Nick Fechter on Nov 27, 2008 at 8:54 am

Oh and by the way, the next movie that deserves a serious riffing is Twilight. I’ve seen some movies potentially destroy the popularity of the books they were are based on, but this one just completely takes the cake. It would be really heartwarning to see that movie get the crap beaten out of it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Nick

• 9 The Professor on Nov 27, 2008 at 9:27 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I thought today I might watch MST3K all day and then perhaps eat and drink to the point of irresponsibility this afternoon. (My life is full, indeed.) Thank you to all who have been involved with MST3K these many years. You brink me and my children joy. And now for a Thanksgiving quote from the giant floating head of the native American in the movie Werewolf, “Thank you for killing my people. Enjoy our land!”

• 10 Kim on Nov 27, 2008 at 9:48 am

Happy Thanksgiving and many, many thanks to Mike, Bill and Kevin for all the laughs over the years…here’s to more to come!

• 11 NanoRiffite on Nov 27, 2008 at 10:29 am

Wrt: “Mr. Carlson apparently chose farm-raised turkeys for his stunt.”

Try to imagine a helicopter full of wild turkey’s. They would have started attacking before the helicopter got off the ground.

• 12 Conor Lastowka on Nov 27, 2008 at 10:48 am

Sounds like you’re in a situation where you might be loaded up on pain killers. I strongly advise taking in a riffed movie or two, as they will probably never seem more hilarious.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

• 13 Dames Like Her on Nov 27, 2008 at 11:15 am

Among the many things I am thankful for:
    MST3K, the Film Crew, and of course RIFFTRAX.

Enjoy the day, all! Thanks for everything.

• 14 NavarezElectro on Nov 27, 2008 at 11:16 am

Potatoes are what we eat!

• 15 Laura on Nov 27, 2008 at 11:48 am

Eating turkey, mashed potatoes, string bean casserole and sweet potato pie (with marshmallows). Being overly thankful for all this, ’specially since my brother is home for the first time in five years! And Waconia has turkeys, though they just… sit in the trenches along the highway. But today is going to be fun…. Hope it’s great for all y’all at Rifftrax and all y’all celebrating today!

• 16 Stacia on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Happy Thanksgiving all! P.S. Stay away from the Hillsdale Shopping Mall.

• 17 euphoriafish on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Happy Thanksgiving guys! I’m thankful that I’m short on sleep so that as soon as we eat, I will definitely be able to fall asleep during the football game. Mmm, football nap…

• 18 Nick Fechter on Nov 27, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Trust me, I’m already on the pain-killers. My head feels so light right now that it feels like it will detach from my body and float away like a balloon. I hope that I never have to be put on laughing gas ever again ’cause that stuff makes WAAAAAAY to relaxed….

• 19 Nick Fechter on Nov 27, 2008 at 1:47 pm

You lucky bastard! XD

• 20 evilash on Nov 27, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I’m thankful for all the guys who keep me laughing: Mike, Bill, and Kevin…and okay, my boyfriend.
    Happy Fat Turkey Day, boys, and eat lots of GRAVY!!! It’s like butter, but a little more specific in function.

• 21 Brian O. on Nov 28, 2008 at 5:43 am

The scene of wild turkeys in a helicopter smacks highly of the events leading up to the space marine gunship crashing in Aliens.

• 22 Brian O. on Nov 28, 2008 at 5:45 am

I spent most of the day scarfing down turkey, watching my MST3K DAP edit of the Turkey Day Marathon bumpers, finishing myself off with Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. I feel like TV’s Frank after all those turkeys.

• 23 Ben on Nov 28, 2008 at 6:49 am

Ok. It is now Friday. Screw the goodwill and every shopper for himself. I wonder if Walmart will allow me in their stores carrying this machete?

• 24 Nick Fechter on Nov 28, 2008 at 6:59 am

Those early morning sales after Thanksgiving are always brutal, I’d have to say that entering a store on that day would be like being in the movie “Saving Private Ryan” for the first 20 minutes.

• 25 Ben on Nov 29, 2008 at 9:06 am

It is unfortunate that this proved true. My prayers are with the family of the Walmart worker trampled yesterday in New York.

• 26 HusseyGirl on Dec 7, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Just as a quirky sidenote… the Thanksgiving turkey drop story is true- my father and mother (dating at the time) worked at the mall in question when the infamous event took place. One of my dad’s favorite T-day stories. :)

Happy holidays to everyone at Rifftrax, from a longtime MSTie!