Oh, Santa, WHY?!

December 22nd, 2008 by Mike Nelson · 20 Comments

This is the tamest part of our new RiffTrax Short:

<a href=”http://www.rifftrax.com/misc/flvplayer.swf?file=rtmp://rifftraxfvs.cdnetworks.us/rifftraxfvs/flashstream/&id=ChristmasToyshop-Sample&width=500&height=330&overstretch=fit&volume=100&autostart=false&type=rtmp&” target=”_blank”>http://www.rifftrax.com/misc/flvplayer.swf?file=rtmp://rifftraxfvs.cdnetworks.us/rifftraxfvs/flashstream/&id=ChristmasToyshop-Sample&width=500&height=330&overstretch=fit&volume=100&autostart=false&type=rtmp&</a>The section that I would vote Oddest Christmas Sentiment of the Century is where the spider in the hat goes on a killing spree.

• 1 Remmie Barrow on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:20 pm

This is a perfect companion piece to “A Visit to Santa”. Both are more than abit weird and both make me feel queezy.

• 2 Nick Fechter on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:39 pm

That christmas short was pretty weird, but let’s see it top stupid martians on a mission to kidnap Santa with a dumb robot while avoiding a dumb man in a lame polar bear suit.

“So that’s what you’ve all become hmmm!? Martian-mallows!? Soft….weak!?”

(shudders violently)

• 3 Enron Hubbard on Dec 22, 2008 at 3:49 pm

“The section that I would vote Oddest Christmas Sentiment of the Century is where the spider in the hat goes on a killing spree.”

Easy:

You obviously don’t spend Christmas with your inlaws!

Typical:

No, the *oddest* Christmas sentiment was when five year old Mary Spritzer of Tulsa, OK prayed to the Baby Jesus that, in lieu of presents this year, she’d like Keanu Reeves to finally win that Oscar he so richly deserves.

Atypical:

Bob was able to find his pillow in the strange hotel room during the blackout by following the Oddest Christmas Scent of Mint

• 4 BEMaven on Dec 22, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Charles Nelson Reilly?…Noooooo!

• 5 Yoggie on Dec 22, 2008 at 8:12 pm

So I’m not the only one that sees this demon every night before I suddenly fall asleep.

• 6 Laura on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Nope. In fact, he watches me sleep… he told me so himself o.o….

• 7 Kleenex on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:20 pm

So I watch this short, then A Visit From Santa, follow that up with The Star Wars Holiday Special and top it all off with suicide. Got it.

• 8 Walter on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:21 pm

He’s really a pretty nice guy. But he will try to enslave your soul.

• 9 jason on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Well, you should also watch some festive Christmas songs, like the one Bill dedicated to Mike (which was so beautiful it made me vomit candy canes), and then this paticularly heartwarming one:

Destined to be a Christmas classic for years to come…

• 10 chrismartindeed on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:59 am

Fear of this holiday wraith compels me to keep a burning Yule log within easy reach when I sleep.

• 11 Ben on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:46 am

What was this? The 40s? 50s? Yep, people were way weirder back then, but that’s because they didn’t have video games and computers to numb kids’ minds and make them resistant to fairy dust.

• 12 Krud on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:52 am

So… do people still put up Christmas trees in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve? Or did that tradition end about the same time that microwave dinners became the norm? (Not that there’s a direct connection, but still…)

• 13 blablover5 on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:57 am

You killed me with that last line “Speak not of our encounter Earth Creature”

I curse you with all my breath for waiting til just before the holiday break to release this. Sadly I have to pack up the car and drive 8 hours to visit the in-laws in the windy city for a week, so I cannot enjoy this drug induced spider killing spree.

Damn you all.

• 14 Ryan on Dec 23, 2008 at 3:29 pm

My, my, my my. You seemed like such a jolly guy.

I can’t believe noone has mentioned the great reference to a Weird Al song (one of my faves) “The Night Santa Went Crazy” of the blog title.

• 15 Enron Hubbard on Dec 23, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Good catch, Ryan!

Here’s a link to a Rankin/Bass inspired video of the song:

• 16 Kim on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Holy spider shoes that is stinkin’ funny.

Though now I can’t decide which was more disturbing…the top-hatted spider’s killing spree or drunken Santa’s killing spree.

• 17 Katana on Dec 24, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Oh snap, you stole what I was going to say.

And for the record, I think Santa going on a drunken killing spree is funny rather than disturbing. I wonder what this says about me…

• 18 Kim on Dec 24, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Well they’re both rather funny in a disturbing kind of way.

Great minds and all that…

• 19 Steve R. on Dec 28, 2008 at 11:26 am

Yeah this one was a weird one. But for the record, I watch these with my 7-year-old brother, and we were watching it on Christmas Eve, so had I not caught on quickly and shut it off, we may have had to explain Santa’s existence, which probably would have been traumatic. So, if it is possible, could you guys put a disclaimer on the description that it could shake one’s belief in Santa. Still, I loved the short and thought it was great!