Merry Christmas!

December 23rd, 2008 by Bill Corbett · 37 Comments

I’m signing off the blog ’til after Christmas, so here’s wishing you, your families, and friends a great holiday.

The winner of the Contest Contest will be announced next week. In the meantime, here’s a bit of holiday cheer. This is played on the confounded wireless box a lot around this time of year, but I still think it’s one of the happiest Christmas songs in the whole Christmas song biz: Jose Feliciano’s “Feliz Navidad.” (And if I’m not mistaken, a rough translation of Jose Feliciano into English is: “Joe Happy-Ass.” That’s happy!)

Here’s Mr. F playing the song in front of a whole mess of Scandanavians back in the funky 70s. Enjoy!

• 1 Barry on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:18 am

Noooo! It won’t really be Christmas without your blog posts, Bill!

*sniff*

• 2 Johnny-Longtorso on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:56 am

Back atchya!

But my visions of sugarplum ferries is forever tainted by the recollection of your “Flashdance” routine during “The Horrors of Spider Island” :)

• 3 Montagthemagician on Dec 23, 2008 at 5:30 am

I’m still partial to the Charo version on Pee Wee’s Christmas Special.

• 4 awfulgoodmovies on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:02 am

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to everyone!

• 5 Dames Like Her on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:54 am

Have a great holiday, Bill! And your family and friends as well. Thanks for all the great gifts you’ve given us, all year long!

• 6 chrismartindeed on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:56 am

Bill… Mike… Kevin…

Honestly!

How could you three pixies slip and slide toward Christmas Eve without a doff of your pointy red hats to this Yuletide favorite?

• 7 NavarezElectro on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:57 am

Happy happy to all… god bless us, every one!

• 8 Casey on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:02 am

Merry Christmas!

Christmas can be a stressful time… PLEASE don’t take it out on your kids. Thank you.

• 9 Nick Fechter on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:37 am

This will probably be my last comment post till christmas is over too, so take it from Mr. Happy-Ass when he says:

“I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart!”

His ass must be really, really happy…..

• 10 Ben on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:51 am

What I’d really like to see is a description from the guys on how they prefer their Christmases. I see Bill as a traditionalist with the fireplace, Santa hats, eggnog and Christmas music (ie the Norman Rockwell version). I see Mike as someone not into the whole old-fashioned Christmas experience. Maybe a smallish tree, an oddly-uncomfortable exchange of undesired gifts and then it is back to business right after (the Modern Christmas).

As for Kevin…I can’t pin Kevin down. I can’t decide if he is a eat Christmas dinner out wherever kind of guy or if he goes for some Hawaiian theme Christmas at his place. Hmm….

• 11 Ben on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:52 am

Oh…I almost forgot to cue Tiny Tim Ben…

“God bless us, everyone” hobble hobble

Merry Christmas to all. (none of that Happy Holidays rubbish here)

• 12 blablover5 on Dec 23, 2008 at 8:01 am

I remember when I was little thinking just how cool and eccentric it was to go around saying “Merry New Year and Happy Christmas.”

Now I just do it to piss off Bill O’Reilly.

• 13 michael on Dec 23, 2008 at 8:17 am

Merry Christmas to all!

• 14 Queen Shadowrama on Dec 23, 2008 at 8:25 am

Merry Christmas Bill! Hopefully the kids won’t wake you out of your blissful slumber at 5 AM to open presents!

• 15 scamps on Dec 23, 2008 at 8:30 am

And pissing off Bill O’Reilly is one of the great joys in life.

• 16 Nick Fechter on Dec 23, 2008 at 8:45 am

Someone should send fox-news that Obama china-set as an aynomonous christmas present, I think at that point their heads would ACTUALLY explode.

• 17 Kim on Dec 23, 2008 at 9:26 am

Merry Christmas and God Bless all here!

• 18 Laura on Dec 23, 2008 at 10:00 am

Merry Christmas! Here’s Lewis Black describing Minnesota, and exactly how it is now!!

• 19 Top-Hatted Spider Dog on Dec 23, 2008 at 10:59 am

Sleep well Bill! Pleasant dreams!

…..”Take a chance on me…Baby..Take a chance on me…I’m your Dancing Queen…”

• 20 scamps on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:08 am

I don’t care how happy his ass is, this song makes mine annoyed!

• 21 James Shearhart on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:30 am

There is always the Bob Rivers version:

• 22 Courtney on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:42 am

I was watching TCM this weekend, and had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing the un-riffed version of A Visit to See Santa. I was stunned and disturbed. Turner Classic Movies just went down a notch in my book…your version was much better. :)

• 23 Bill Corbett on Dec 23, 2008 at 12:06 pm

(Pssstt…. Kevin’s Christmas mostly involves a huge tub of lingonberries and a papier-mache alpenhorn.)

• 24 Bill Corbett on Dec 23, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Thanks QS. You too.

(If we can make it to 5:30 AM it will be a board-certified Christmas Miracle. )

• 25 Kingtos on Dec 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Definitely a fan of that song as well. Merry X-Mas, Bill!

• 26 Remmie Barrow on Dec 23, 2008 at 1:39 pm

(I think at that point their heads would ACTUALLY explode.)

I think that would make everyone’s Christmas a little merrier, don’t you think.

• 27 Nick Fechter on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm

You’re right Rem, I’m going to add that to my wishlist that I’m going to mail to Santa.

• 28 Laura on Dec 23, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Just tell them to open their stockings and watch the Smurf Christmas Special on Cartoon Network if they wake you up ;) . For some reason it’s always on at around 4:30 to 5:30…. Ooh! It was a plan all along!

You do have stockings, don’t you? :(

• 29 Kelly on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm

OK, that’s REALLY 70s – or the hair and clothes are. But a beautiful performance. He has a beautiful presence and a wonderful voice.

Happy holidays all! Thank you Mike, Bill, Kevin et al for many hours of family entertainment!

• 30 jason on Dec 24, 2008 at 12:02 am

You guys do know that Mike is a staunch republican, right?

• 31 maryc on Dec 24, 2008 at 12:12 am

Bill (oh and Mike and Kevin, too): thank you for all you do.

And may I add: Merry Christmas, you beautiful old Blog and Loan!

Now let’s get on to the BLATANT blogwhoring, ( a gal’s gotta do what she’s gotta do):

World O’ Crap’s blogger ScottC is performing a smackdown of “Santa Claus: The Movie” (and I HALPED!). Look for it tomorrow, sometime.

Until then, enjoy these holiday classics:

• 32 Ninjew on Dec 24, 2008 at 8:49 am

Since I don’t know exactly what everyone celebrates, allow me to cover them all in one go.

Have a Happy RamaSolstiChannuKwanzMas everyone!

• 33 NanoRiffite on Dec 24, 2008 at 9:57 am

Some lovely pictures from previous christmas times:

(ignore the creepy eye on the right)

• 34 Kim on Dec 24, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I don’t care if its cheesy, I still love these.

• 35 maryc on Dec 24, 2008 at 9:51 pm

For your Christmas er…pleasure? I bring you:
    World O Crap’s Santa Claus: The Movie http://tinyurl.com/santaclausthemovie

• 36 DieteVeplib on Dec 27, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hey! I love your site ;)
    If u r looking for Paid Surveys this is the site 4 u.
    Start advancing your paychecks on http://tinyurl.com/8eysyc