Today’s thing you can’t unsee

January 9th, 2009 by Conor Lastowka · 26 Comments

Kids these days! Playing the damn xbox instead of enjoying the classics!  How can we get them more interested in the arts, especially Poetry, the Urkel of the arts?

Was your suggestion TAKING PHOTOS OF DEAD POETS AND ANIMATING THEM TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE READING THEIR POEMS FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!?!

Example:  Here is poet Robert Frost reading his oft quoted-in-high-school-yearbooks poem “The Road Not Taken’

Line the kids up!  Youtube user poetryanimations has over 200 videos just like that!

Via kottke

Tags: Creepitometry · RiffTrax

• 1 NanoRiffite on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:03 am

The real “Dead Poets Society”

• 2 NanoRiffite on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:06 am

Pretty sad really. We can’t get the kids these days to read, so we bring back people from the dead and fake images of them reading.

Next up: Images of Edgar Allen Poe, playing “Guitar Hero” on a Wii. “Play that funky music, white boy!”

• 3 awfulgoodmovies on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:13 am

Good job!

• 4 awfulgoodmovies on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:14 am

I doubt Edgar Allen would buy the Wii….he’s related to Paul Allen, so he’d probably use a Xbox360.

• 5 James Shearhart on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:42 am

That’s just…um…no. Sorry, but no.

At least it’s not Clutch Cargo tech. That would be real nightmare fuel….

• 6 Wesley Stamper on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:47 am

Well, I didn’t click on the video above, as I wish to be able to sleep at night, but I *did* click the link for poetryanimations.
    I listened to James Joyce reading Anna Livia Plurabelle, while simultaneously listening to Nirse Gonzales playing Bach’s Sonata for Solo Violin No 2 in A Minor on guitar via Pandora.

It might have been a little bit of Heaven.

• 7 Jesse on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:23 am

Beyond the grave? I’d say more like reading his poems in the grave.

• 8 puerileuwaite on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:51 am

Were Robert Frost alive today, I’m sure he’d actually say “Let’s Not Go There”.

• 9 jason on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:29 am

This is unrelated, but I just saw that Kevin Murphy’s favorite direstor and Nic Cage lookalike (and excellent Eegah extra) Ray Dennis Steckler died (or should I say stopped living) yesterday. Last I heard he had issued a challenge to any director (and called out Spielberg by name) to ‘out direct him’ (or make a better movie using the same budget). I was hoping Steven would accept the challenge, but I guess that won’t happen (unless he becomes a mixed-up zombie. Oooo, that was baaaad, wasn’t it?)…

• 10 RiffLover on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

It’s a bit premature, I think, just assuming that SHOWING dead poets (even if they are reading their own poetry) is going to be enough to snag the attention of today’s youth.

No, there needs to be some “ramp up” to the feature presentation, and it needs to be in the form of digitally resurrecting these dead poets and pressing them into the service of selling modern products.

This will create the necessary familiarity with the poetic personalities, which will in turn give them the credibility they need – to, if you will, obtain for them the required “currency” with the audience they are trying to reach (”they”, of course, referring to DEAD poets).

This should give you an idea of what I mean:

• 11 chrismartindeed on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:40 am

Fascinating.

I had no idea Frost was a shape-shifter.

• 12 Laura on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:50 am

Still doesn’t make me interested in poetry. I like writing, not poetry. My poem project for school got 65% while my midterm and final essays got 100%.

Hi, would you like to brag about useless grades, too?

• 13 Onil on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

Meh. I won’t be impressed until I see one of them dancing with a vacuum or drinking a sixer of Coors.

• 14 Wesley Stamper on Jan 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm

You got a 65 because “the moon’s a pontoon” doesn’t really rhyme with “adrift in a sea o’ vaseline”

• 15 Nick Fechter on Jan 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Wow, that was creepy….

Anywhoo, Hey Conor! I finally made a few comics for my school newspaper. To see them all you have to do is click my name on this comment.

Please look at them and tell me what you think, I would be very grateful!

• 16 Remmie Barrow on Jan 9, 2009 at 1:32 pm

(and Nic Cage lookalike )

That’s abit unfair to Mr. Steckler, don’t you think.

• 17 lapinguina on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I took the road less traveled by. It led right into the Uncanny Valley.

I like how the creator made sure to plaster the copyright information all over this video as if anyone else would want to claim this horrifying thing as their own.

• 18 Dan on Jan 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Sweet Lord no. I hadn’t realized Robert Frost was the prince of darkness.

• 19 Mr. Alexander on Jan 10, 2009 at 7:44 am

I think if you read the copyright information backwards, it’s actually a necromantic formula to keep Frost from escaping the goat’s-blood circle and eating the cameraman’s brain…

• 20 BEMaven on Jan 10, 2009 at 10:15 am

A little too crude for my tastes.

I prefer the late William S. Burroughs chin puppet reading of ‘The Naked Lunch’.

• 21 Blinktastic on Jan 10, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Consider this youth’s attention grabbed!

Man I love that Chocolate Rain, guy. What are you guys watching? Dead poets? Ooh, Spongebob in GERMAN!

• 22 Blinktastic on Jan 10, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Robert Frost is Nosferatu!

• 23 gojira86 on Jan 10, 2009 at 5:20 pm

That’s kinda noticeable facial tic he has there.

• 24 kipsy on Jan 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I read this 3 times before noticing this was “poets” and not “pets.” which seems like the real moneymaker, and more in keeping with good ol’ American tackiness.