What would Jung say?

January 20th, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 63 Comments

So last night I had a thoroughly coherent, almost boring dream that included the following line-up:

richie sambora charged b
Richie Sambora
heather locklear1 300 400
Heather Locklear, so far, so good…
eddie van halen
…And Eddie Van Halen. Okay, I see where you’re going with this, unconscious mind. But then…

PatHarrington1
Pat Harrington, Jr.??!!

What, I ask you, the hell?

• 1 Walter on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:06 am

He would ask what movie you watched last night.

• 2 SecretIdentityCrisis on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:25 am

I would definitely buy that band’s album.

• 3 Ninjew on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:28 am

Pat was there to remind you that it WAS a dream.

• 4 Laura on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:54 am

Your dream was better than mine! I was being chased by, and attempting to kill, this creature with three arms, two heads and just a massively bloated body. I could feel it every time it struck me, too :( .

• 5 Casey on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:09 am

I don’t think Jung would touch that.

• 6 Houndstooth Mind on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:29 am

Are there people who have non-Snyder dreams?

• 7 NanoRiffite on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:34 am

Eddie used to be married to the cute Valerie Bertinelli. Valerie was on “”One Day at a Time”. One recurring part on that show is the building superintendent (Dwayne) Schneider, played by none other than Pat Harrington, Jr.

Jung would say that you’re spending way too much time watching TV. And that Heather, as always, looks hot. “Isn’t she amazing?”, he would say. “Look at these pictures of her I carry in my wallet”, he would say. But enough of Jung’s obsessions — credit card commercialWhat’s in your wallet?

• 8 Mike Nelson on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:46 am

Shamefully, I didn’t even make that connection, probably because Eddie was only tangentially involved. It was Richie Sambora (a man about whom I know nothing but his name and status vis a vis Heather Locklear) who was most close to me in this dream. And Pat couldn’t have been nicer. He offered me a job.

And I don’t even have TV. Perhaps it’s all the cheese dip I ate before bed.

• 9 Bill Corbett on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:47 am

” this creature with three arms, two heads and just a massively bloated body.”

Right. Pat Harrington, Jr.

• 10 Glenn Fleishman on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:03 am

I saw Pat H, Jr in a touring production of Showboat several years. The production was sort of crummy, but he was marvelous. And, thus, worthy of being in a dream.

• 11 Kim on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:20 am

You didn’t happen to eat any Taco Bell nachos recently did you? Because the last time I did I dreamed that I was at a dinner party with a rather large man named Sunday and two bizzare looking demons…one of whom I now realize bore an unmistaken resemblance to a Mr. Pat Harrington Jr.

Or maybe that was in the book I’m reading…

• 12 lapinguina on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:27 am

Psh. That’s nothing. I once had a dream where Olympia Dukakis taunted Don Knotts as he rode a Segway into a jungle. I think it was an attempt by Knotts to reach me from beyond the grave, but I haven’t deciphered the message yet.

• 13 NanoRiffite on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:30 am

Shamefully, I didn’t even make that connection — Probably means you’re not harboring a secret, 30-year long crush on Valerie Bertinelli. Like, uh, some other people I know. Somewhere. Not me. Besides, she never even returns my calls.

• 14 Barry on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:36 am

I dunno about Jung, but Freud would have said, “Ven you vere dreamingk about Heather Locklear, vy did you keep goingk? You should hef qvit vile you vere ahead.”

• 15 Barry on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:37 am

Oh, he also would have said, “Keel zem. Keel zem all.”

• 16 Teaser on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:49 am

WTF Mike…..No GuymanDude

• 17 Houndstooth Mind on Jan 20, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Quoth Mike:
    “And I don’t even have TV”

But I’ll bet ya did some time between 1975-1984? Shows that run for nigh unto 10 years tend to have a way of creeping into the subconcious! ;P Hmm I woner if Bonnie Franklin is off somewhere running her own net based business…

• 18 Laura on Jan 20, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Well now that I know this, the creature will be forever gone. Thank you, Bill.

• 19 darkchashy on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:06 pm

The dreams I hate are the ones that you wake up in a cold sweat and can’t remember the dream. One dream that scared me had Santa Claus in it, but I can’t remember anything else.

• 20 Rob T Firefly on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Whatever it is you eat before you go to bed, flush the leftovers down the toilet and then throw away the toilet.

• 21 Kris on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I’m not sure what Jung would say, but I would advise you – in the nicest way possible – to please lay off the crack pipe. Just a smidge.

• 22 Nick Fechter on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Where you in a kilt throwing french-fry/lightning bolts?

• 23 Mr. Slick on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Maybe you shouldn’t eat Italian right before bed Mike. Only bacon!

• 24 Remmie Barrow on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I do not even know if Freud would touch that.

• 25 Lyndsey on Jan 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm

My husband is a Mental Health Therapist here in Oregon. I’ll have him analyze this once he gets home from work tonight.

He charges $120/hour. All major credit cards and free rifftrax accepted as payment.

• 26 Scarlett on Jan 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm

As NanoRiffite pointed out, there is a connection with PH and EVH with Valerie Bertinelli. They, along with Richie Sambora and Heather Locklear, are your basic rockstar/actress marriage that lasted longer than anyone really thought possible, yet divorced after years of the infidelity they denied vehemently in every copy of Redbook, Good Housekeeping or People Magazine that featured bad boy/good girl pairings for the past 20 years.

Maybe Jung would say that you unconsciously mourn the loss of 80s rockstars/actress marriages, possibly triggered by Bill’s post on the quintessential 80s video earlier this week and feel that Schneider could have saved those marriages.

Or maybe you need to get a television and throw out the cheese dip just to be sure.

• 27 AJ on Jan 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Hmmm, yes very interesting indeed, although it could have been much worse.

I dreamt last night that I was back working in retail. It was awful. I had to have a burning hot shower and then I sat in the corner of my bedroom and cried for an hour.

And I agree with Scarlett there, throw out the cheese dip and get a TV! :)

• 28 Laura on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I was in the battle armor of the warrior, with my mace entitled Demise! I battled the foe until it withdrew! It wasn’t until later that I had realized the fight was not over. It followed me through the catacombs, always right behind the corner, just close enough to reach me! Finally the creature cornered me, and began to strike with it’s mighty axe! Then I woke up because the phone was ringing.

• 29 NanoRiffite on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Hmm.

I notice that on the new 3-riffer version of “Reefer Madness”, you (Mike) are sporting a little black mustache and black eyebrows. It kinda makes you look like the Schneider character from “One Day at a Time”…

Hmm. Indeed.

• 30 Stacia on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:35 pm

“One Day at a Time” was on for nearly 10 years? The mind boggles.

• 31 Timothy O'Toole- T2 on Jan 21, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I think Jung would simply say, “Corndiggers”

• 32 Rowsdower on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:17 am

Sounds like someone’s been playing a little too much World of Warcraft

• 33 Rowsdower on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:22 am

TV is the devil.

• 34 DudeBroMan on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hey, I own a gaming blog myself. We should be friends!

• 35 フィンペシア通販 on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:20 am