Knitted placenta, anyone?

January 25th, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 66 Comments

placenta1

Well, perhaps a knitted digestive system will be more to your liking:

digestivesystem1

And if that still doesn’t do the trick for you, at least in terms of knitted items, please visit Why Would You Knit That? They can help you (assuming your needs are knitting-based).

• 1 Racer™ on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Just what I needed to help me fall asleep. Knowing there are people out there knitting digestive tracts and cut-open lab animals. I feel much safer now.

But thanks for yet another greatly disturbing post. Love ‘em!

• 2 Bill Corbett on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

LOVE: Job One.

• 3 Walter on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

You could sell the placenta as a hat.

• 4 Mr. Slick on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Geez I told grandma to get a hobby but dang I didn’t realize she had THAT much free time.

• 5 veronica on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm

When I first read this on Twitter, I thought it said “kitten placenta.” This is a little better, I think…

• 6 Bill Corbett on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm

You’re very kind, Veronica, but… no. It’s not better.

• 7 Laura on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Very interesting Bill…. I just finished watching Silence Of The Lambs for the first time, and come to find knitted intestines. It was interesting, and to see this, well…. I’d better start reading more cannibalism cases.

Congratulations, you have created a new monster….

Oh hell, I took his personality didn’t I? That always happens -.-.

• 8 Libby on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:26 pm

You left off the knitted poop. HOW COULD YOU FORGET THE KNITTED POOP?!

• 9 Racer™ on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Happened to me once, but I quickly gave it up again. Thinking you’re a house on some haunted hill gets boring, fast. Also, I got torn down and replaced with a casino. So, now I’m an acient burial ground under the casino.

• 10 Libby on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Also, this is completely unrelated, but I bonded with a cute boy this weekend (oh, college!) over the fact that we both love MST3K. He said he remembered me because I’m one of the few people at our school with it as one of my favorite shows on Facebook.

• 11 Bill Corbett on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Glad to hear it. I’d also like to point out that the knitted poop would have added NOTHING to that already lovely situation.

• 12 Libby on Jan 25, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Though Rowsdower adds everything.

• 13 MVP on Jan 26, 2009 at 2:13 am

I’m wondering why Bill didn’t mention the knit bacon at the bottom of the September archive page. Maybe couldn’t stand forging that far into the site?

• 14 chrismartindeed on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:32 am

That stuff is child’s play.

My mother knitted a miniature recreation of the Hindenburg disaster.

Mind you, she was trying to make a sweater for her poodle.

• 15 Ben on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:56 am

There should be knitted penis covers since so many billions of men are out there ordering Extenze off those tv commercials. At least, that is what their commercials say…why would they lie? Excuse me now, I have to package and send in my gold for a check…

• 16 Beff on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:00 am

Are you doubting that those exist? Because as a knitter, I can inform you that they most definitely do…frilly bows are commonplace on them, but optional…

• 17 Nick Fechter on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:10 am

Thanks Bill for posting that blog on this blog so that I could click on it and be scared to death of the ugly lady with the spider on your head.

P.S.-What the F!? I can’t embedd anything on this blog! I someone having the same problem?

• 18 Rob T Firefly on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:42 am

I think I remember seeing that knitted placenta in early Star Trek: the Next Generation. Or was it 1980s Doctor Who? At any rate, I’m sure it was eating either an Enterprise or a TARDIS.

• 19 Leigh Ann on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:44 am

I have also seen

Additionally relevant: this knitted brain, though at least the woman admits that the effort was pretty much entirely pointless.

Not relevant at all, but something which I feel compelled to share with my favorite riffers: bacon cookies. This man is also apparently teaching some sort of bacon class, if you want to get in on the action there.

• 20 AJ on Jan 26, 2009 at 7:08 am

Wow! I’ll have to pass this on to my sister, she’s great at knitting!

• 21 Clarence on Jan 26, 2009 at 7:12 am

My girlfriend Carin (Bratlie, actually, I think you know her) has knitted a lot of human organs and systems, including the digestive system. Her utera are popular.

• 22 Adam on Jan 26, 2009 at 7:30 am

I would like a knitted bust of Lionel Ritchie. Can these people make it happen?

• 23 awfulgoodmovies on Jan 26, 2009 at 7:49 am

I played lead guitar in Knitted Placenta, we released couple of CD’s then broke up.

• 24 rebisaz on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:12 am

Just in case all you folks don’t know about the cakewrecks site – http://www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com . It’s hilarious, the knitting site reminded me of it.

• 25 blablover5 on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:30 am

You can buy your own here of a lab rat cut open:

I got to give them props though that is amazingly realistic. Remember even us scientists need weird kitchy homespun knick knacks to decorate our houses when we’re old.

And formaldehyde jars went out with the gothic castles.

• 26 Bill Corbett on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:38 am

Of course I know Carin! And even prouder to know her, now that I learned she’s a sought after organ-knitter.

• 27 Laura on Jan 26, 2009 at 11:29 am

I actually do take on the personality of a character I like from a certain movie. Like when I watched Juno, I was Juno for a day :P .

• 28 Nick Fechter on Jan 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Wow…..that’s, wow…….

• 29 Remmie Barrow on Jan 26, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Why would you knit that?…Because you have nothing better to do?…Or is it because you have extra placentas on hand and cannot find anything else to do with them?

• 30 Rob III on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I think I’m going to knitted-throw up.

• 31 DoughyGuy on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Yes it’s the actual WHY that troubles me…

Decoration – I-I don’t wanna come over… If you have knitted placentas and various other entrails in your sitting room, I’d hate to see what horrors await in the bathroom!

Education – Home schooling teaching aides? Poor kid’s gonna think he’s full of wool until he’s thirty…

Challenge – Did someone bet them they couldn’t or something? Makes me think I could completely F with a professional knitter’s mind by walking up to him on the street and challenge him to knit a Brontosaurus’ esophagus… Keep him busy for WEEKS!

Dementia – This is the most likely… Externalizing inner traumas… good Dr. Phil programming… that kind of thing.

Alls I can say is that I’ve lost a little of my faith in humanity…

• 32 Houndstooth Mind on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Erm, is it wrong that I kinda liked the spider web bra?

• 33 Scarlett on Jan 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm

As rebisaz pointed out, cakewrecks blog is hilarious.
    and this post corresponds rather well to the knitted placenta, I think:

The thing is, if someone gave you these crafts as a gift, you almost have to showcase it because its just so baffling that it would seem to be a crime to just shove it in the back of a closet or in the attic when you know your friends would have to see it just to know you weren’t making it up

• 34 Kim on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Thats great…gotta send that one to my baking friends. In fact they’re probably represented on there somewhere.

And in case you’re wondering, yes I’m completely serious.

• 35 Bill Corbett on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:53 pm

It is good and it is beautiful.

• 36 BEMaven on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:57 am

Ick.

But at least they found the perfect hobby for Marilyn Manson.

• 37 Brian O. on Feb 4, 2009 at 1:45 am

In a related mentioning, a plush stuffed uterus was recalled because the ovaries could become detached and pose a choking hazard to children:

• 38 フィンペシア通販 on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:05 am