Day 1: Huge Success!

February 1st, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 80 Comments

PhotobucketA delicious first day of my Month o’ Bacon. The menu today consisted of bacon for brunch followed by a pre-Superbowl party snack of bacon. The party is hosted by my neighbor, a lovely man, who already – rightly – thinks me a touch eccentric.

Loudly asking, “Hey, you got any plain bacon? I’m on an all bacon diet for a month,” is simply not an option. So no snacks for me.

As for Jimmy Dean bacon (today’s brand), the guy was great in Giant, but his bacon will not sustain me for 27 more days. Photobucket

**Update** Many have suggested a Morgan Spurlock-like diary of my bacon diet, but I don’t want to do that for a number of reasons. Number one, not that I care, but Spurlock lied about his food intake and has never released his food diary. Number two, bacon is wonderful and would never hurt you. Bacon loves you.

However, in the interest of advancing the bacon arts I am willing to release these few vitals: my waist size is 33/34. My blood pressure is pretty consistently 117/65. My weight hovers around 190. I’m 6′2″. I willing to bet you my weight will not change (may lose a little, actually) my blood pressure will probably drop a little, and I won’t get any taller.

In short, I have every faith in bacon and I won’t have it maligned.

Tags: Month o' Bacon

• 1 Walter on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Damn it! Now I have to go make bacon.

• 2 Michael Crawford on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Any time is a good time for bacon.

• 3 Lyndsey on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Why did you choose the shortest month of the year to do this? That shows a tad bit of apprehension in your experiement.

• 4 OxfordProle on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:01 pm

“Loudly asking, “Hey, you got any plain bacon? I’m on an all bacon diet for a month,” is simply not an option.”

It’s not?! Sounds perfectly normal to me. People from Southern California must be really weird!

• 5 Libby on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I’m going to get bacon for dinner. In your honor.

• 6 Kim on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm

“my neighbor, a lovely man, who already – rightly – thinks me a touch eccentric.”

Just a touch? That is similar of course to “a wee bit” or “just a tad”, correct?

If I were you, I’d be going for “quite a bit” or even just downright “absolutely crazy”. That’s what people say about me, anyway.

• 7 kt on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Weren’t you the Phantom of the Opera?

• 8 Nick Fechter on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Although I fear for your health Mike, I wish you the best of luck on what will probably be a grueling trial.

Let’s just hope ya’ don’t end-up like this:

• 9 DoughyGuy on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I think the rule of thumb is that you’re two degrees more eccentric than anyone will let you know to your face…

• 10 Nick Fechter on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Let’s just hope ya’ don’t end-up like this:

• 11 Queen Shadowrama on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I just made myself a bacon on bacon sandwich in your honor. I have never done this before. Amazingly, I have no regrets after eating it. Bacon really is a magical entity…

• 12 Libby on Feb 1, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Okay, solidarity time:

I ate the dining hall’s dry, overcooked bacon just for you, Mike Nelson.

• 13 Houndstooth Mind on Feb 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm

You eat your bacon with a fork?

• 14 Matt Nelson on Feb 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm

My father is curious as to whether or not your consumption of bacon plans to include a steady diet of nothing but Kevin Bacon films. I myself feel that, coupled with the nitrate-laden materials you are ingesting, this would be irresponsible at best.

• 15 NanoRiffite on Feb 1, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Ooo, an interesting question. If you’re only riffing on Kevin Bacon films for the month of February, it may be the rest of us who will revolt!

• 16 Houndstooth Mind on Feb 1, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I am eating bacon for an evening snack. I gave my kiddo a bacon sammich for lunch.

• 17 michael on Feb 1, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I must confess something.

I was trying to impress a girl with a seemingly healthy lifestyle. You know, yogurt (plain, non-fat) for breakfast, cottage cheese and apples for snacks, plain salad for lunch, and steamed fish for dinner with no beer. NO BEER!

I see now that I am not living. I have become part of what C.S. Lewis calls, “men without chests”. I am ashamed. I, I…repent of my turkey bacon ways.

• 18 Kim on Feb 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Well that changes everything then. I’m gonna have to come up with a whole new classification system now.

Does that in of itself prove my eccentricity?

• 19 randommanthefirst on Feb 1, 2009 at 9:13 pm

You should be ashamed, I just ate a whole pound of bacon during halftime because my roommate left to get more beer and I didn’t feel like saving any.

• 20 Conor Lastowka on Feb 1, 2009 at 9:19 pm

This was one of the greatest super bowls of all time, and I’m happy to say that my bacon laden dish was quite the hit. I made “Chip’s Dip”, my friends recipe which consists of cheese, green onions, almods, mayo and bacon…and the amount of bacon that I cooked would have overwhelmed the consistency of the rest of the ingredients. So the bacon was laid out on top, and was consumed within the first hour of the party. God bless America.

• 21 Shooting Stars of Thought » Death by Bacon on Feb 1, 2009 at 9:31 pm

[...] to rain on anyone’s bacon parade, but I did a little research the other day, and bacon is linked to NO FEWER THAN 13 [...]

• 22 Geena on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Perhaps something other than a puff piece of polemic from a moron vegetarian activist would be more effective.

• 23 Phil on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Is there room in this diet for bacon flavored Kool-Aid? Or bacon smoothies to keep you hydrated when you’re at the gym?

• 24 AmandaGal on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm

While that blog is a bit of an overreaction, there have been studies released that say smoked meats should be avoided in excess. Mostly because of the nitrates and carcinogens found in them, they would be nothing for our bodies in moderation, but in excess they can contribute to cancers. There was a giant study partially funded by the cancer foundation that reviewed 7,000 other studies and put all the information together. That is one piece that came out of it. It was controversial, though, because it also said red meat causes colorectal cancers and many people did not agree with that finding (mostly the meat industry) but they questioned research techniques, etc etc. So, take with a grain of bacon salt.

I think people who eat massive amounts of smoked meats are generally overweight and lead a sedentary lifestyle. That also makes the body sluggish about eliminating toxins and such. Just keep up with your workout routine, which is probably the most important thing you can do for your health. I’ve seen people who eat nothing but vegetables in for cancer and heart attacks, the most common factor for heart disease, I’ve seen, is sedentary lifestyle, not weight or diet or carnivorous or not.

• 25 AmandaGal on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm

That was long. Good luck anyway :)

• 26 AmandaGal on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm

And by most people being overweight, I was not referring to Mr. Nelson. He seems a fine weight.

Point was that weight/lifestyle contributes more to disease than diet. This is coming from a moron vegetarian, but I can’t imagine bacon itself will kill or harm you.

And now I will go to bed.

• 27 gojikranz on Feb 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm

i think you should make the video as proof of the powers of bacon for making a man a king.

• 28 Adam on Feb 1, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Mike, this is perhaps the greatest deed ever done in bacon’s name. And there have been more of those than people think. Baconspeed.

Also, in case you’re varying your brands throughout the month, I recommend Boar’s Head.

• 29 randommanthefirst on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:27 am

This gives an interesting take on the whole nitrate thing, plus it’s from Wisconsin!

Correlation does not equal causation. Like some of you have been saying, just because delicious smoked foods are linked to cancer, doesn’t mean it is the cause of cancer.

• 30 Geena on Feb 2, 2009 at 1:07 am

I’m sorry if I offended you, Amanda. The author of the blog entry I responded to is not a moron because she’s a vegetarian; she’s a moron because she’s anti-genetically-modified crops.

• 31 AmandaGal on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:48 am

Here’s a more recent report on a study. Yours is from 1998 which is like a million years ago in science years:

Most naturally occurring foods that have nitrates also have vitamins and other substances that protect us from the carcinogen we make from them. Funny how that works.

But again, I don’t think bacon will actually kill you. I predict the kids who ate a lot of bacon also ate and did a lot of other unhealthy things too, but I have not read the actual study and the media tends to exaggerate.

• 32 Onil on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:07 am

What did you drink?

• 33 AJ on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:36 am

Hey Mike, I have a question. How are you cooking your bacon? Are you frying it in full fat substance, or are you using one of those George Foreman ‘fat reducing’ grill type thingys?

I’m just er…curious, see.

• 34 Bill Corbett on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:57 am

“However, in the interest of advancing the bacon arts I am willing to release these few vitals: my waist size is 33/34. My blood pressure is pretty consistently 117/65. My weight hovers around 190. I’m 6′2″.”

They finally pried that shameful information out of you, did they Mike?

• 35 Arvenis on Feb 2, 2009 at 8:05 am

In case you run out of interesting ways to prepare your bacon, may I suggest this:

• 36 Houndstooth Mind on Feb 2, 2009 at 8:39 am

My completely unscientific hypothesis is that a bacon and booze diet will make Mike bored and slightly queasy long before it does any real physical damage. I mean an average sized person would probably have to eat a LOT of bacon to feel satisfied. As much as I love bacon, I’m not sure I’d want to eat enough of it to keep me full all day every day for a month. I hope Mike will provide us with stats on just how much bacon he consumes in the course of a day!

• 37 Laura on Feb 2, 2009 at 8:40 am

Your weight most likely wont change. I know that I eat out more than I do eat home made, and I actually loose weight.

I’m 126, 5′4″ and will normally eat McDonalds or Subway because I’m out a lot, or because I don’t like what dinner is that night.

• 38 RVR II on Feb 2, 2009 at 9:14 am

I know I requested that on the forum just for a ‘Before’ and ‘After’ result.. OOPS! Sorry Mike!

• 39 Adam on Feb 2, 2009 at 10:56 am

I read that last night and realized Mike is 7 inches taller than me and yet I outweigh him by like 10 pounds. I woke up this morning resolved to go on a diet.

Ironic, isn’t it? It’s thanks to this all-bacon endeavor (which, of course, I still support with every fiber of my being…unless it kills him, in which case I may have to rethink my stance) that I’ve been inspired to eat healthier.

Sadly, however, one of the things I’ll have to forgo…..is bacon. And that hurts. But I feel better thinking that Mike is eating my share for me.

• 40 Geena on Feb 2, 2009 at 11:04 am

I, for one, prefer to bake my bacon. It gives you nice flat pieces, if you use a rack on your baking pan it drains a bunch of the excess fat off, and, if you use thick-cut (the only bacon I buy), it can make your bacon both crispy AND chewy.

• 41 Botch on Feb 2, 2009 at 11:58 am

God speed and to your heart as well.

• 42 jfe on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Mr. Nelson,
    If you have a dog be prepared to have him/her run through the house looking for “it’s bacon nmmnmmm” . So you may have to share unless you get the treats advertised. Don’t know if I’m allowed to name the ad. But enjoy your month o’ bacon anyway.

• 43 NanoRiffite on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Mike will do anything to advance the bacon arts.

• 44 Uncle Rufus on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I want every one to know that as Technical Director of RiffTrax I have familiarized myself with the location and use of the in office defibrillator in case Mike keels over in week 3. I also promises that in the rare case we need to use it, we will broadcast the resuscitation live on our site as well as UStream and according to Mike’s wishes we will have 1lb of bacon ready for him as soon as we get his heart going again.

• 45 OxfordProle on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Oh, thank God: I was sincerely afraid this project wasn’t being closely monitored by professionals.

• 46 Uncle Rufus on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Well I am not a health care professional but I have been eagerly awaiting an excuse to play with the defibrillator.

• 47 OxfordProle on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I was more concerned with making sure any potential downfall to Mike’s experiment would be available live, via the web (DON’T BREAK IT THIS TIME!) but, yeah, I guess it’s nice you guys are kind of provisioned for the medical stuff, too.

I kid. :)

• 48 AmandaGal on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm

“Technical director” sounds professional enough to me.

That’d be a hell of a way to wake up from an afternoon nap though, “We thought you were dead.” *

*Only possible if you purposely disable the safety features on the AED. Not a wise or a legal choice.

• 49 Uncle Rufus on Feb 2, 2009 at 12:55 pm

There is a safety feature???

• 50 Cameron on Feb 2, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I think that we should lay the bacon across his chest before you start the defibulation. That way, when you use it to start his heart back up, you can also cook the bacon at the same time. Then, once we he is alive and well, we can shove the cooked bacon into his right, right off of his chest.

• 51 TJ on Feb 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm

In this day and age of health-consciousness, I think its great that you are forcing the “health experts” to take a closer look at the health benefits of bacon.

Sure, bacon has been maligned in the media, but remember back when SMOKING was considered dangerous? You don’t hear so much of that anymore, do you?

Good luck on your bacon diet, and God bless you.

• 52 AmandaGal on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Unfortunately, it won’t allow you to shock anyone unless they are actually dying and dying from a specific cause (v fib) that the defibrillator would help.

I know. Ruins ALL the fun. Stupid manufacturers should trust my judgment on whether or not I want to shock someone instead of using EKGs and other fancy things.

• 53 awfulgoodmovies on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Good luck Mike…….. Hope you have more luck than I did…….My ‘Bacon Grease Diet’ landed me in the hospital.

• 54 michael on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

*weeps*

• 55 Remmie Barrow on Feb 2, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I am guessing Mike is drinking BACON JUICE, of course.

• 56 ms. chii on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:15 pm

how about bacon wrapped vases? mmmmmm..with edible fruit and foodies.

• 57 Slade Rockfist on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I honestly can’t believe Bridget will let you get away with this, despite your faith in bacon’s lack of intent to harm you…..we’ll see how far into the month you get before you come back to us with your tail between your legs, admitting wife-related bacon defeat….

• 58 R.A. Roth on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’m curious about the Super-Size Me dis. You mean to say Morgan DIDN’T gain weight and see his blood pressure climb from an exclusive McDonald’s diet? That’s the most important fact. He ate nothing but McCrap 3X a day for 30 days and it radically changed his body and health. Let’s say he was eating MORE McGarbage than he said. How is that an endorsement of McOafal? Let’s try a reverse experiment. Eat nothing but veggies and fruits for 30 days. Never heard of someone “grazing” for a month and gaining weight, or seeing their BP shoot skyward. So Spurlock’s message is clear: McD’s is McBadForYou, case closed. Yet if you follow the eating career of the featured Big Mac addict, he’s in fine shape. Why? He seldom eats the McFakeFries.

In any event, good luck with Bacon-palooza. Bacon is a sinless and pure food of the gods. You’ll age 10 years prematurely, tops.

Randy

• 59 HusseyGirl on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I’m up for the bacon prep by defibrillation technique. I’m going to ask my sister if it can be done, she’s in nursing school, I’m sure she’d love an experiment like that. *lol* :)

• 60 AmandaGal on Feb 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm

My take is that he lied about how much he ate, and ate more than a normal human would. Eating more calories than you burn (even of fruits and vegetables) equals gaining fat. He also cut back on his exercise. He said it was what the average American ate at McDonalds and how much the average American exercised…but if that’s the case, isn’t it excess calories and lack of exercise that makes them obese and not fast food?

The experiment has been repeated several times with normal calorie intake and normal exercise and the people actually lost weight or stayed the same. I think it was really a commentary about “excess” and not fast food.

You can get sick eating only vegetables, depending on which ones you eat. You might not get obese, but you can get symptoms of malnutrition. You can really get sick eating only fruits for just one month, and depending on the fruit and the amount, people actually do gain weight. In weight loss clinics, people are generally warned about overeating high density fruits. It’s still sugar, frutose or not.

It’s harder to get excess calories from fruit or vegetables than from fast food, but it’s still the same calories in = calories out = maintaining weight. That’s not to discuss other reasons to eat healthy foods, but weight gain is not one of them. If you eat x calories of any food, you’ll maintain weight.

• 61 ShutterBun on Feb 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Wow…photo essays of meat shopping in Southern California. The internets have taken a collective GIANT LEAP backwards!

Come on, Riff-clowns! Make with the cutting edge komedy!

• 62 Crafty on Feb 3, 2009 at 10:04 am

You should run out and get your cholesterol checked now and then again at the end of the month. I bet your profile improves.

• 63 jim cunningham on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Try some bacon…. eat some corn!

• 64 Christopher A. Wheeler on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:43 am

Hello, first time visitor here. I wish I could do what you are doing.

My prediction:

You will not get taller.
    You will lose weight.
    Your blood cholesterol will improve.

• 65 Jeff Fritz on Feb 4, 2009 at 8:21 am

You should use a food / twitter site like isfeasting.com to post your bacon pictures and stories…

• 66 Geena on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Hopefully, the defibrillator works better than the web site right now. :b

• 67 a t l on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:58 pm

you are my hero.

but why do it on the shortest month of the year?

• 68 Chris Hughes on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I’m worried your taste-buds are going to undergo some sort of mass crash-and-burn desensitization to the flavor of bacon. Do you have a good fall-back plan in place?

• 69 Geena on Feb 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Randy, while I realize that the work of Michael Moore has drastically lowered the level of truthfulness that many people require for something to be labeled a “documentary,” the simple fact is that Spurlock neither kept a food journal nor showed receipts for his purchases in the course of making his movie. Other people have done all-McDonald’s (oh, I get it! You call McDonald’s by a different name every time you write it; well, aren’t you a clever boy! Maybe we’ll talk about something to do with Microsoft next, so you’ll have a chance to write “Bill Gate$,” which would be totally original and hi-larious, to boot) diets, with very different results:

• 70 Sheila on Feb 5, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I love bacon VERY much! I can comfortably eat 56 pieces in one evening – the only thing that stopped me from eating more is that I ran out!

• 71 Ellen on Feb 5, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Hey Mike,

Want to add bacon to all of your favorite websites?
    Just take this url: http://bacolicio.us/ and add the url of any site for a bacony surprise.

• 72 Drew on Feb 5, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Mike, are you shrinking? Back in 2002 you were taller than me, and I was 6′2″. Allow me to provide evidence:

• 73 Drew on Feb 5, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Evidence: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/bigweirdguy/dragon%20con/dragoncon012.jpg

• 74 Bacon’s Oeuvre | Fayettevittles on Feb 5, 2009 at 11:38 pm

[...] that will result from Mike Nelson’s gastronomic experiment of eating nothing but bacon for 40 days. Nelson is the former host of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The famed Bacon Explosion being rolled [...]

• 75 randommanthefirst on Feb 6, 2009 at 3:59 am

There, there. Wipe those tears with some delicious bacon and let’s put this behind us.

• 76 Anniee451 on Feb 23, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Haha! Fuck Morgan Spurlock!