Meet Jimmy Moore

February 3rd, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 27 Comments

Jimmy MooreA short break (kind of) from bacon. Joining our blogroll is Jimmy Moore’s livinlavidalowcarb.com, a site packed with information on Viking shipbuilding techniques of the Iron Age (I’m kidding – it is of course low carb focussed.) Very interesting and entertaining podcasts – a favorite is his interview with the brilliant Gary Taubes. And, of course, a story on my idiotic quest.

Tags: Month o' Bacon · bacon

• 1 Wesley Stamper on Feb 3, 2009 at 10:22 am

“people telling Mike he’s gonna kill himself [...]and possibly die ”

Weren’t these Mark Gormley lyrics?

• 2 NanoRiffite on Feb 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm

All these years of working on MST3k, writing books, and then Rifftrax. And after all that, Mike is going to get his biggest dose of fame by eating bacon for a month…

• 3 kipsy on Feb 3, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Not knowing enough about the health hazards/ (benefits) of your insane quest, was the l-card guy being ironic when he says that part about how Mike OBVIOUSLY knows all that saturated fat isn’t bad for you?

• 4 Scooter on Feb 3, 2009 at 5:56 pm

shouldn’t the title say “”Meat” Jimmy Moore”?

• 5 Sparkys Girl on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Cool! I love that you are doing a month of bacon. I’m a low-carb blogger and a friend of Jimmy’s. :) Glad he pointed me to your blog.. looks like a lot of fun! Oh.. I’m getting ready to go watch MST3K The Movie. It’s my favorite!

• 6 wakachiwaka on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm

• 7 AmandaGal on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:49 pm

To sum it up quickly, the whole cholesterol and saturated fat is “bad” thing is a hotly debated topic. The original proclamations that it was bad were based on shakey findings to begin with and later studies haven’t been conclusion (many actually finding that people who eat saturated fats have less heart disease…of course, some find the opposite and some find no difference).

The fats to avoid at the moment seem to be transfats and that seems to make sense to me. Those are man-made fats, not natural ones.

• 8 Nick Fechter on Feb 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Watch out for Space Mutants, and their incredibly stylish pants….

• 9 jim cunningham on Feb 3, 2009 at 7:33 pm

try some bacon…. eat some corn

• 10 Laura on Feb 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm

JIMMEH! must be friends with TIMMEH!.

• 11 randommanthefirst on Feb 4, 2009 at 1:16 am

Hmm, while I normally don’t approve of low/no carb Atkin’s style diets (your brain needs sugar to work… work well at least) I’m glad to see that this grand experiment for the furthering of bacon is gaining attention outside of the Rifftrax blog. Here hoping for the abolishment of tofu bacon (facon as I’ve heard it called) as a crime against nature.

P.S. I forgot that Mike can drink beer; keep that brain in working order, your riffs depend upon it.

• 12 Ben on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:50 am

Jimmy Moore? Any relation to Dinty Moore?

So…his spiel is basically the Adkins Diet?

• 13 Jimmy Moore on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:53 am

Jimmy’s the name and low-carb’s my game because it helped me chunk 180 pounds off of my chubby, cupcake-eating, Coca-Cola guzzling body in 2004 and I’ve been eating this way ever since. So naturally Mike’s ingenious plan to just eat bacon for an entire month raised the tentacles of my brain cells and I wish him well during this incredible journey. GO BOY!

• 14 BoB3K on Feb 4, 2009 at 8:10 am

Well, seeing as how this guy’s got all the facts straight, like that Mike was the creator of MST3K, I’m sure I can trust him on his dietary advice.

• 15 Sparkys Girl on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

Thanks Nick. Those Mutants in pants were a bit frightening. But I think Cal actually scared me more.

• 16 Laura on Feb 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

Hahaha

• 17 kipsy on Feb 4, 2009 at 1:15 pm

hmm. I learn something. thanks.

• 18 Jimmy Moore on Feb 4, 2009 at 1:18 pm

My bad, BoB3k!

• 19 Remmie Barrow on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Jimmy Moore, Huh? Is he any relation to Michel Moore by any chance?

• 20 sanddog on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Certain parts of your brain require glucose to function. Your body is fully capable of manufacturing those small amounts from the protein you eat. As for the rest of your brain, it prefers and works more efficiently (much like your heart) when free fatty acids are converted to ketones. Think of ketones as a high octane fuel, particularly for your brain.

• 21 Jimmy Moore on Feb 5, 2009 at 10:56 am

Uh, no. Now maybe if Michael Moore ate bacon and only bacon for like a year he could be as svelte as me, but other than that we are diametrically opposites of each other.

• 22 randommanthefirst on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:02 am

Plus he’d make a documentary about it and expect us to watch it.

• 23 Sharon on Feb 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Important message for Jimmy-Your site keeps going out on me after about 10 seconds! Help! Other sites seem fine, so the problem must be on your end. Thanks!