Billy West is a funny guy

February 21st, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 27 Comments

This particular moment, where he describes one element of the Ren character, cracks me up:

Anyone know is that an actual Kirk Douglas quote? Not that it matters, it certainly captures his essence.

• 1 Kyle on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:24 pm

When will Billy West be on Rifftrax?

• 2 Remmie Barrow on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Hopefully if he does come on Rifftrax, you guys will find a movie with enough material that both of you can riff off of…Maybe Space Jam…Oh wait, too soon?

• 3 Bullwinkle on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Mike, you should check out John K’s blog. Really interesting stuff. Plus he sometimes throws a bit of a tantrum.

• 4 Sam on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:52 pm

John K is the true voice of Ren Hoek!

• 5 Scott on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:56 pm

But does the quote crack you up because it’s playing in your head when you’re looking down at yet another serving of b*con?
    Loved Ren and Stimpy, and I’m a Futurama fan too. In fact, very soon I’ll be watching my first Blu-Ray Futurama movie.

• 6 Ryan on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:56 pm

YES! I would love Billy West to be a guest on Rifftrax. But maybe this isn’t an indication he will be, as they have showcased several people before here on the blog that would make great guests like Brian Blessed.

• 7 Scooter on Feb 21, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I plan on watching my first Blu-Ray Futurama in a few days as well. Even though I don’t have an HD TV. I’m just getting it for the video commentary.

• 8 Samtaco on Feb 21, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I agree Sam (great name)!

Yes as a mega fan of John K. and Spumco, John K. is only voice for Ren Hoek. I always get pissed when only Billy gets all the credit/praise for the voice of Ren. His Ren is second rate compared to John’s!

• 9 mrbasehart on Feb 21, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Frank Gorshin did my favourite impression of Kirk Douglas:

• 10 Kim on Feb 21, 2009 at 9:23 pm

He’s a funny guy, huh? Funny like a clown? Does he amuse you?

(Please accept my apologies, but I just had to you see. Again, sorry.)

• 11 SlashHalen on Feb 22, 2009 at 12:59 am

John K and Billy West are both amazingly talented. Too bad they hate each other these days.

And yes, John’s blog is a great place to learn about animation history and just animation in general. I’ve been viewing it for about 2 years now. He does throw a bitch-fit every now and then, but that’s sorta the reason why we love him.

• 12 AJ on Feb 22, 2009 at 2:17 am

I love Billy! He is indeed a funny chap.

• 13 Fifty "percent" Kreiger on Feb 22, 2009 at 6:08 am

Yeah, it stinks how Billy didn’t quit a paying job because John is a control freak. But, there are a lot of ways to look at that situation, so I dunno.

I think he may have improvised the KD line. I heard him impersonating Curly Howard on t.v., and he said, “Hey Moe, I just pissed on my shoe!”. I don’t remember that one from the shorts, or maybe i’m aloof.

• 14 Barry on Feb 22, 2009 at 6:40 am

Don’t forget the Billy West website:

• 15 Remmie Barrow on Feb 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I don’t know about Brian Blessed…His MIGHTY voice could shatter Mike’s sensitive hearing.

• 16 Laura on Feb 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Billy West as said during video commentaries he just makes sounds or does an impression. Would be funny to see what he’d have to say :) .

• 17 Laura on Feb 22, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I want to be a cartoon voice over (voice actor) type. I love Billy West and Richard Horvitz (Dagget on Angry Beavers, and Zim on Invader ZIM). And I like Tom Kenny, too, but mainly before he became Spongebob :P .
    “So once again, the Powerpuff Girls save the day!”

• 18 AJ on Feb 22, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Tom Kenny rocks, I met him at Comic Con 07′ he was super sweet. I got a photo with him.

Must get one with Billy this year!

• 19 Rob III on Feb 22, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Billy West played a part in Mark Hamill’s movie Comic Book: The Movie, set during the 2005 (I think) ComicCon.

It was a low-budget, but a very funny meeting of voice-over actors. I got all the way through the movie before I released Billy West was in it (I didn’t know what he looked like).

The DVD also includes video of the voice-actor’s panel at convention. It’s wild to hear these actors talk about their jobs, and to see them in the flesh, too!

• 20 Stacia on Feb 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Is “I can’t eat this slop” a real Kirk Douglas quote? I don’t think so, but I suspect it’s a paraphrase of something he said in a film at some time. Ren does use some Kirk Douglas quotes — most famously “Didn’t you see them? Didn’t you hear the crowds?” in the episode “Space Madness” — and of course Kirk shows up in the background on occasion.

• 21 Aaron Haynes on Feb 23, 2009 at 1:54 am

Oh god yes. I wonder how awkward/awesome it would be if he and Mike were to riff Space Jam.

• 22 Nick Fechter on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:16 am

I wish they would bring back Ren & Stimpy, that was one of childrens cartoons that was on the brink of being to adult.

• 23 blablover5 on Feb 23, 2009 at 7:14 am

Didn’t they try bringing it back a few years ago and it failed miserably?

• 24 Mr. Alexander on Feb 23, 2009 at 8:13 am

They did bring it back as the “Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon” on SpikeTV a few years ago, and it was cancelled after only a handful of episodes. My hopes were sky-high for it, as I was obsessed with the original show when I was a kid, but it was just… just wrong on a lot of levels. It went so overboard into being intentionally gross-out, even for adults, that it was unwatchable. In the first new episode (and I wish this was an exaggeration), Ren and Stimpy literally have sex with each other at the very end. Imagine having Mel Blanc and the original Termite Terrace crew come back from the dead to help them animate Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny screwing, and you can picture my horror at Ren and Stimpy’s comeback. Easily one of my life’s biggest disappointments.

• 25 blablover5 on Feb 23, 2009 at 9:05 am

I love watching Billy, John, and Tress doing their voice work. Especially watching the weird facial distoriations they put themselves in to get a character out.