Look behind you, laughing baby…

March 11th, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 51 Comments

I was so engrossed by Sexman’s Watchmen review, I somehow missed this relative newcomer to the very well-represented “laughing baby” category on YouTube.

And it made me wonder, Is 77-million-view laughing baby’s team getting a little nervous?

Clearly – CLEARLY – the newcomer has the edge in cuteness over the veteran — check out that luxurious head of hair — and, frankly, he has finer taste in material. “Bong”? What in the hell is so funny about that? The paper gag, while not being vintage Marx Brothers, certainly has it all over the unfunny Euro-ness of a high-pitched “bong.”

Yep, I’m backing Ethan. (Much like the raging, though settled, “I Can’t Hardly Wait” controversy, expect Conor to have a different [read "wrong"] answer on this one as well.)

****

BILL adds –

This adorable child gets my vote, for her deep Gollum-like gulp between laughs, and her drunkenness:

• 1 Darth Chimay on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I dunno… the Eurochild does come dangerously close to sounding like Muttley, which almost gives him an edge. However, “Ethan” does win in the head trauma category. That, and you can watch him in HQ, because HD was meant to allow us to see babies laughing in crystal clear quality. It’s a tight race, to be sure.

• 2 Mike Nelson on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:48 pm

So I’ll put you in the “Ethan destroys Euro-tot” column…?

• 3 Queen Shadowrama on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Ethan is impressive to be sure, and the like Darth Chimay said, the kid gets bonus points for head trauma hilarity, but I don’t think he has what it takes to beat the veteran…yet.

I laughed pretty hard at Ethan, but the original kid still brings me to tears from laughing so hard. When the new kid can do that, he’ll have my vote, and my respect. :-P

• 4 Darth Chimay on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:08 pm

After no small deliberation, and deep consultation with Mr. M. E. Ball, I will allow myself to be placed in that column on one condition – you must recreate the video with the Riffer of your choice.

• 5 BEMaven on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Odd. I thought Ethan was giving us HIS review of the Watchmen movie.

• 6 Kris on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Did Ethan remind anyone else of long, goofy bull sessions in college that perhaps included the use of many controlled substances, or am I just going to hell?

Ethan by a mile. The kid is irresistibly cute and apparently invincible. USA! USA! USA!

• 7 Casey on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Wow.. These videos should be used to ease tension in cases like…

“You’re fired!”
    “oh no”
    “here… watch this video.”

God bless easily amused babies.

• 8 Darth Chimay on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Oh, and by “Riffer of your choice,” I mean “Bill.”

• 9 mrbasehart on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Mmm. I’m going with Ethan. Euro-baby looks too much like Auric Goldfinger.

• 10 Casey on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I hate to even bring up this possibility but it must be considered…. do you think Ethan could be laughing like this as a result of a head trauma? hmm… how funny is it now?

• 11 Darth Chimay on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Depends… how many times have you received head trauma from ripping paper? The more times you have, the more schadenfreude comes into play.

• 12 jfruh on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Thank you for letting me know about Sexman’s Watchman review, as it pretty much made my whole night. High points include his philosophical musing on whether holding up five fingers is an adequate representation of a five-star review, and his goosebump-inducing Rorschach imitation.

• 13 Queen Shadowrama on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Sexman is just awesome all around. Call me immature, but when he said “There’s a lot of nudity, and a blue weiner too”, I just about died! XD

• 14 Laura on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Conor is an interwebz veteran, his opinion is correct.

I challenge the babies with kittens.

• 15 Margoo on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Maybe that’s the script they’re tearing up – that would be a pretty clear review.

• 16 Adam on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Incidentally, Mike, while I would agree with you that there’s nothing inherently funny about “Bong”, the guy is CLEARLY saying “Blong,” which is , conversely, HILARIOUS.

That said, it’s still paper-tearing kid all the way. Ethan wins it by a country mile.

• 17 Elizabeth on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Never has the complexities of comedy been so tightly wrought.

I have spent many a day contemplating the humor of “tearing of paper” and “banging a child’s head into cabinets” and was left wanting. Wanting that is until Ethan came along and showed me what funny truly was.

Bravo young man, may your cerebral wit win many a you tube viewer

• 18 Barry on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

The South Park version of Laughing Baby kicks the collective ass of all other laughing babies hands-down.

It didn’t hurt that we simultaneously found out that the Numa-Numa dance was actually an ancient martial arts technique.

• 19 AJ on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:29 am

Ethan get’s my vote!

There is nothing quite as wonderful as the sound of a baby’s laugh.

• 20 AJ on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:34 am

Oh and on a side note, Sexman’s Watchmen review. Ok, I’ve never seen this guy before in my life and yet again I must pose the same question I did for the kid who did the Jaws review, WHERE THE HELL ARE HIS PARENTS???

• 21 Setsuled on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:19 am

Ethan wins for re-enacting the library book vandalism scene from Chinatown.

Please, for the love of the laughing baby god, riff Watchmen. I need you to riff it before I can start to heal.

• 22 Houndstooth Mind on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:23 am

Unless I’m reading wrong, Euro-baby’s clip was made in 2006. That would mean that kid is probably 3 at this point. He’s clearly well past it cuteness wise. It’s time for the old guard to retire to potty training and academia and let the new guard reign. This is the year of Ethan!

• 23 Erica with a c on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:48 am

I feel more like I’m laughing *with* Ethan than simply *at* him. I felt his hysteria more vividly than the other baby, particularly when he was pounding the floor. The other baby’s laughter was comparitively controlled. So I choose Ethan!

• 24 Nick Fechter on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:17 am

As it has been fortold in the bible, that once the civilization of man falls, the laughing babies shall inherit the earth…..

• 25 Erica with a c on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:03 am

Can you imagine Ethan and the little girl laughing together? Can someone possibly merge the two tapes so we can watch the fun?

• 26 Erica with a c on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:05 am

I mean videos of course, not tape. I’m only on half a cup of caffeine…

• 27 AJ on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:32 am

You can always count on Bill to bring the Dark-side stuff into everything!

• 28 Casey on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:26 am

Bill’s video make me nearly choke to death!

I was “I am dying but this is soo funny I don’t care!”

• 29 Conor Lastowka on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:46 am

Oh, that’s been covered:

Breaks new ground in vulgarity, even for Pruane.

• 30 Earl Fando on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:18 am

Yes, but “Blong” is Esperanto for “Bong,” so clearly this is a draw.

I suspect the guy off-camera in the second clip had a bong though.

…sorry, a “blong.”

• 31 Kris on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:20 am

No kidding. Bill, WHY?! :(

• 32 Earl Fando on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:23 am

I know lots of people who laugh from head trauma. It’s usually great fun until the projectile vomiting starts. Then it’s much less fun for the person with the trauma.

Also, I have always wondered about the relationship between head trauma and ripping up paper. Generally, I get contused from ripping to quickly and dashing my fist against my cranium. I had no idea second-hand trauma like this was possible.

I shall herefore endeavor to rip paper alone, and spare others bodily injury.

No, these are not euphemisms.

• 33 AJ on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:52 am

Oh holy hell! You know when you watch something and you want to turn it off, but morbid facination keeps you tuned in?

Firstly, I want to save the dog. Secondly, I want to call social services!

• 34 Laura on Mar 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

I watched for 10 seconds with it muted.
    I accidentally my eyes.

• 35 AJ on Mar 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

If I can do it Laura, you can do it!

Go on, watch it all. I double double dare you :)

• 36 Remmie Barrow on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm

…Maybe he though the Dark Side would be appropriate for this kind of thing.

• 37 Kris on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Earl, I can’t tell whether or not you’re insane or a genius (or both). Regardless, you’re one of my favorite posters here, so thanks for sharing. :)

• 38 Earl Fando on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:39 pm

God Bless You Kris,

And just to answer the question, I’m fairly sure it’s one or the other but not both. However, given that “insane” is one of the answers, I could be waaaay off.

• 39 Brit on Mar 13, 2009 at 4:41 am

The Bong child is laughing at a silly noise. This is commendable and will stand him in good stead for life.

However, Ethan has grasped the essential absurdity of matter, of the material fabric of the universe. It was a large piece of paper, and now it is a small piece of paper. This is a profound philosophical insight, so my vote has to go to Ethan. Also he bangs his head.

• 40 Earl Fando on Mar 13, 2009 at 6:36 am

I was going to write that sounded dogmatic, but then you added the part about kittens and confused me.

• 41 Queen Shadowrama on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I retract my vote for the Euro-baby. Demon baby wins, hands down. :-D

• 42 VZG on Mar 14, 2009 at 4:04 am

Bill’s video is clearly the superior of the three. I was gasping for breath with that one.

HOWEVER, slow down either Ethan or the original baby and we may have a serious competition on our hands.

• 43 Houndstooth Mind on Mar 14, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Better yet, it’s a silly noise and *then* a smaller piece of paper!

• 44 florsh on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:01 pm

my only comment is this

The slowed down baby brings validation to every joke the mst crew made the the effect that Donald Pleasence looks like a giant baby.

• 45 Sally on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I agree with you about Ethan. I felt, when I first saw it, that I was kind of sitting there, sort of like Dad’s friend, and just in the hilarity of it. He is very cute and endearing, wearing his pajamas. I thought the interaction with the Dad (”You didn’t tear it yet … You know what’s coming”) was wonderful. I think both of them are, by far, my favorite laughing children, though. When I heard “Blom!”, I myself laughed. And, there, too, the Dad is laughing along with the kid.

Sally in San Francisco

• 46 LaughingBabyDaddy on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:55 pm

As a horribly biased observer (Laughing Baby Ethan’s Dad – he of the goofy laugh and I think you can also see my left foot), my vote unequivocally goes to Ethan. Let me tell you, the kid is now 4-1/2 and he’s still hilarious. He no longer finds ripping paper amusing, but he does like a good Scooby-Doo cartoon (the mark of true genius).

• 47 LaughingBabyDaddy on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:57 pm

p.s. – Watchmen was borderline horrible. I was falling asleep during the first half for God’s sake!