Re-branding!

March 23rd, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 61 Comments

All it takes is replacing normal letters with sillier ones!

As you’ve no doubt heard, our former whip handlers at the Sci Fi Channel have announced their new and improved name:

scifi

That’s Syfy, prounounced “Siffy!” (Exclamation point should be implied when spoken aloud.)

Following suit, we are now:

RyffftraxksstarringMyke Nylzyn

Kyvyn Merfyy

and

Byl Koorbyt

Thynks fyr youyr tyymee.

***KEVIN MURPHY myrfy ADDS***

Actually Bill, I’m way ahead of the curve on this one:

myrfi

For details, visit this site.

• 1 creepingdeth101 on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:44 am

dont forget about Dyzembodioo

• 2 Jonah on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:45 am

I’ve been hearing about the “Siffy!” change on every geek related podcast a news site I follow.

As a Rifftrax fan, I have to say, it’s about time you re-branded. I mean, “Rifftrax”? What is that?

Now, “Ryffftraxks”? There we go! Finally I can easily explain what the hell it is you guys do here to the layman.

• 3 Ariel on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:46 am

Serious?
    It’s like something you’d name a poodle! I don’t think I can take them seriously anymore.

• 4 blablover5 on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:46 am

The ad agency just phoned it in like the slogan for Scotland from a few years back.

It looks like an ad placement for the latest drug to fix your lumbago or gout. Syfy, for all those days you just can’t get out of bed.

Consult a doctor before taking, may cause your eyes and ears to bleed.

• 5 Mr. Alexander on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:47 am

Alright! Now when I’m watching the broadcast version of direct-to-DVD giant animal movies starring Coolio, Lou Diamond Phillips, and John Rhys-Davies, featuring the best computer graphics that Bulgaria has to offer, with all the violence and swear-words edited out, and with ten minutes of commercials for every five minutes of programming, I’ll know that I’m on the CUTTING EDGE of the market re-branding process! Unless I’m having the exact same experience on the CHILLER channel, of course.

• 6 D.J. on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:49 am

You took them seriously before?

• 7 D.J. on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:50 am

Which will soon be rebranded CHYLL, one would imagine.

• 8 Katerz1 on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:51 am

This is so *redonk* I can’t even believe it.

And just the kind of thing their audience ESPECIALLY would HATE!

Thynx fyr gyvyng thys th mockyng it dysyrvz.

• 9 Ariel on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:52 am

Well not very seriously but I can’t watch something with a poodle name. I just can’t.

• 10 doggans on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:57 am

Yes, that’s all well and good, but when are you gonna do more DVDs of Thuh Phylm Krue?

• 11 Heather on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:00 am

Dare I say it’s reaching even *honky-tonk redonkadonk* levels of ridiculousness?

Oh no, no I dasn’t.

• 12 Racer™ on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:00 am

The new name hints that someone at marketing lost a very stupid bet.

• 13 Casey on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:12 am

This is bullshyt.

• 14 James Shearhart on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:16 am

Needs more umlauts. Or umlytz….

• 15 BEMaven on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:19 am

An entire cable channel… hooked on Phonics.

My dark plan has come to full fruition.

Muwahahahahahaha!

• 16 wbwolf on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:20 am

It was because they a) ran out of monster of the week movies (which led to such gems like “Soultaker” and “Werewolf”) and b) justify the existence of wrestling on the channel that was thrust upon them by the faltering behemoth that was GE/NBCU.

(Little known fact: GE turned down Sci-Fi’s proposal to have the movie “The Company That Ate Wall Street” made because it was too close to home and CNBC already had first dibs on the deal. I hear Jim Kramer has a lock on the lead…)

• 17 Deadpan on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:24 am

It sounds like an slang name for an STD.
    “Man, I totally got SyFy from those Dark Skies reruns!”

• 18 Robyn on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:28 am

It’s official – they just. Don’t. Care.

Though I admit this became fairly obvious to me when they released a movie that, as far as I can tell, is about werewolves in the military…and they called it “War Wolves.” GET IT!?

• 19 Kris on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:31 am

Byl! Not! enough! exclamation! points!

• 20 Rob on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:38 am

Next you know they’ll be playing weird puppet shows set in space or something. Feh.

• 21 Kris on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:42 am

Mother of God, please tell me this is not true. WAR WOLVES?! *dies inside*

• 22 Mario "Asteroid" Panighetti on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:42 am

Staiy toond fyr thuh syzn prymyrr uv Cyaprykuh!

• 23 Kevin Murphy on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:51 am

Actually Bill, the name is now MYRFI.

• 24 Nick Fechter on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:57 am

Screw the Sci-Fi channel! That network has been going down hill ever since it got rid of shows that are ACTUALLY SCIENCE FICTION. Now its just caggle of USA network rejects who are filling the air-waves with more reality show bull@#$%. The only thing that’s keeping this network afloat is BSG, and that show is more of a soap-opera than science fiction.

BAH HUM-BUG!

• 25 Jim Winter on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:14 am

My first thought when I saw it was “syphillis.”

Then I learned there’s a term in Polish that’s used in discussing STD’s.

• 26 rebisaz on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:17 am

I think they should add some of those useless quotation marks to the name in the logo. “Syfy” Imagine Greater.

• 27 Kris on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:22 am

I thought of syphilis too. Glad I’m not the only one who associates the SciFi channel with debilitating sexually transmitted diseases.

• 28 Laura on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

y0 daz sum kewl shite d00d.

• 29 Laura on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

Didn’t Sci-Fi just air the series finale?

• 30 Shawn on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:16 am

I’ll be honest: I haven’t watched more than an hour of Sci-Fi programming since they dropped MST3K. And not just out of solidarity; but because MST3K was the only watchable show they HAD.

• 31 Earl Fando on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:40 am

I wonder how well their rebranded website will work with WyFy?

• 32 Invisible NanoGhost on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:42 am

I watch it from time-to-time. They have “Twilight Zone” on from time-to-time, and a few program which are okay.

Everytime I see the new name, I think it is “Sissy-Fied”…

• 33 Ryb T Fyrfli on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:50 am

Syphilis tested well with the 18-24s in focus groups.

• 34 Singe on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:51 am

That’s “THYNK Greaterer” there, Mr. Myrfi.

• 35 Earl Fando on Mar 23, 2009 at 11:00 am

Actually, all the networks are undergoing rebranding. Grammar and phonetics are passe’, like trousers and shoes that lace up.

For example:

ABC Family will become “Amily”
    A&E will just be “&”
    Bravo will be “Bro”
    BBC America will become “BAer” (in honour of “Skins” and “Mistresses”)
    CNN = “NN”
    Comedy Central = “Coal”
    Discovery Channel = “Disco”
    Disney Channel = “Disel”
    E! = “!” (which fits their programming, if you ask me)
    Food Network = “Fdwk” (which sounds vaguely vulgar)
    Fox News Channel = “Foxes”
    GSN = “GYN” (for some reason they’re switching to gynecology-based programming)
    Lifetime = “Lite”
    MTV = “MV”
    Nickelodeon = “Ickel”
    Noggin = “GIN”
    Spike = “Pi”
    Sundance = “Sudan”
    TNT = “TT” (pronounced “Tee tee,” of course)
    Univision = “Uiiion”
    VH1 = “VH1/2″

• 36 Ang on Mar 23, 2009 at 11:15 am

The only thing I watch on Syfy, might as well start using that crappy handle now, are the Twilight Zone marathons. Way, way back when they actually showed cool stuff I’d watch the Moonlight Matinee Theater (old horror/sci fi films), MST3K and Manimal. Yes, I admit it, I like Manimal.

• 37 Onil on Mar 23, 2009 at 11:27 am

They can call themselves whatever they want to as long as the flow of bad cgi monster movies doesn’t stop.

• 38 Ben on Mar 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

Why not “PsiPhi” and then they’ll be hooked on Psionics?

• 39 BEMaven on Mar 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Pah! Someone snitched about the second phase of my plan.

Did the informant also mention the part where I shave off the beard of composer Yanni’?

• 40 Scarlett on Mar 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Epyk Fayl

• 41 Remmie Barrow on Mar 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Sigh..I really have not cared about the Scifi…Oh, excuse me…SyFy channel since they got rid of shows like MST3K and Farscape…All they show anymore are old Twilite Zone episodes( the only thing of quality that they have) and hundreds upon hundreds of cheesey low quality grindhouse movies.

• 42 jfe on Mar 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Doesn’t matter what they call themselves, they still dropped MYSTY3K

• 43 Houndstooth Mind on Mar 23, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Don’t you mean “boolzhytt”?

• 44 Barry on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Here’s my take on their new branding scheme:

• 45 ShutterBun on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Somewhere, David Caruso and Shelley Long breath a sigh of relief, knowing that they will no longer top the lists of Television’s Biggest Mistakes.

• 46 MonkeyCheezPants on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:58 pm

The SciFi channel’s litany of mistakes:

1. Canceled MST3K.
    2. Canceled Farscape. I know people still bitter about that one.
    3. Shows EDITED versions of the new Doctor Who.
    4. Aired Lexx.
    5. Aired Sanctuary.
    6. Aired Ghost Hunters.
    7. Whatever the hell “WCG Ultimate Gamer” is.
    8. Those damned crappy movies.

And now this, which veers into New Coke territory of stupid ideas. The funny thing is, *I* am their target audience, and they annoy the crap out of me.

And I’m not the only one, too:

• 47 Virginia Corbett on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Y Lyv Yu.

• 48 Kevin Murphy on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:59 pm

And with one of my favorite cheeses, Fol Epi – que bien!

• 49 Spectre Collie » Blog Archive » yf. on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:56 pm

[...] much everybody has taken a stab at making fun of the network, so I don’t have much to add there. But there [...]

• 50 Wesley Stamper on Mar 23, 2009 at 11:13 pm

“Food Network = “Fdwk” (which sounds vaguely vulgar)”

Actually, the FOod netwoRK could get away with calling itself FORK! (It’s only a matter of tine)

• 51 Invisible NanoGhost on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Another alternative: iFy

• 52 florsh on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:15 pm

i actually applaud this change (well, not really)
    seeing as this channel shows wrestling and assorted BS
    they are no longer a science fiction network.
    yet music television and video hits one have yet to give themselves a confusing non0sensical acronym that stands for absolutely nothing.
    sympyyyk y. myhyjyuyiyaybycydyeyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• 53 Earl Fando on Mar 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Well done! I look forward to the adverts

“Coming up next, Bobby Flay takes on Gordon Ramsay in an Iron Chef America exclusive on FORK!”

And, of course “Coming up, Good Eats on FORK!”

• 54 Earl Fando on Mar 25, 2009 at 9:02 am

That’s because that group gets “syphillis” more than other demographics.

Erm, by “get” I mean “understand.”

Actually, either probably works. I suspect that was your point in the first place. Curses! I have fallen into your clever trap.

• 55 Clambake on Mar 25, 2009 at 9:30 pm

You’re not alone my friend.

• 56 Coderjoe on Mar 26, 2009 at 4:55 pm

hmm. This is double-plus good. Plan moving forwardly.

• 57 tvguy on Mar 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I don’t know what to say, the new name is so stupid, has no sense. If there is somewhere people that can’t pronounce SciFi just kill them! Come on, everybody knows what SciFi means and how to pronounce it!