Why everyone needs to be on Facebook

March 25th, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 39 Comments

You ignore Facebook at your peril, ladies and gentleman. Besides leaving yourself dangerously un-social-networked-with, you can’t join groups like these:

Vote to Send Bob Saget to meet Charlemagne (Via Time Machine)

charlemagne

So join now! And maybe start your own contemporary pop culture person -meets- historical figure (via time machine*) page?

(*helps to clarify this)

• 1 jenifersf on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Don’t forget the fabulosity of quizzes such as “What bug found in Devandra Banhart’s beard are you?” (e.g., “You Are Chiggers”), “Which one of Eva Gabor’s toes are you?” and “What number between 900 and 1100 are you?”

• 2 Scrivener on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

There’s only one logical explanation. The aliens have arrived, and they’re on Facebook. Wow, Carl Sagan never would have expected it to happen this way.

• 3 BEMaven on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm

If I later decide to withdraw my vote, will that leave Bob Saget trapped in the temporal void?

• 4 Kris on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:40 pm

This, of course, raises the question of which historical figure the RiffTrax guys would meet if given their choice.

• 5 AmazingThor on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:42 pm

But should we be wasting our time sending kids on history trips when we could be studying the long term effects we’re having on our environment or figuring out a way to stop shooting each other?

Also, sending an egg into the future.

• 6 Ann Peek on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I think we’re putting the cart before the horse. First we need to invent a time machine. (I’ve been wanting to hit 2003 and a couple of other timestops first- then I’ll be happy to give it to Bob). I figure I’ll need a couple of phyicists (good ones) some engineers (good ones) a lawyer ( a good one) Carrot Top & a priest. Oh, and a police box from early 1960’s London.

• 7 Remmie Barrow on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm

We can only hope.

• 8 AJ on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I just made the fatal error of taking the “What’s your true age” test on Facebook. It informed me I was actually 29 years old, which is only 5 years younger than I am now. I have to say I am quite dissapointed by this revelation.

So yeah, get on facebook and throughly depress yourself while getting hammered by people to join one of the trazillion bloody groups that are going on there too. JOIN US!!!

• 9 AJ on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:53 pm

And the “25 things…..” BS that’s all over it too, don’t forget that one!

• 10 Wesley Stamper on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Sure, it’s fine to have a good chuckle at Facebook’s expense, but while they may have ridiculous groups like the above, one must never forget the worthwhile positive impact they can have on the online community by providing a group I can’t help but have pride to be a member of. The group known as:
    Praise the Lord Mitch Miller HAS A CELL PHONE!

• 11 Anthony Jenkins on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:22 pm

“Okay, I’ve run the numbers, and as I expected, there aren’t enough drugs in the world to cause this to make sense to anybody. Seriously. Inject the entire lifetime pharmacological intake of Timothy Leary directly into Salvador Dali, and he could not have come up with something like this.”

Clearly there are many who are missing the obscure homage/reference that this particular group is referring to: the classic MST3K of the ‘timelessly’ (pun intended) bad movie Timechasers.

The reference is talking about the merits of the movie’s ’star’ discussing what his prop plane time machine could be used for, and Mike offers “maybe send Bob Saget to meet Charlemagne.” A must see for any MST3K/Rifftrax fans out there, though any well versed fan couldn’t have forgotten this movie. :P

Presumably the above reason coupled with the obvious is why Bill mentioned it: when a group is made in support of something as ridiculous as this, what’s not to love about Facebook? : )

• 12 Joyless Prole on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I just got back from fixing all the atrocities that resulted from sending carrottop back in time to meet Caligula, only to find this when I get back. Wen will they ever learn?

• 13 ShutterBun on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I am currently sending an egg into the future at a rate of 24 hours per day. Will post results later.

• 14 Casey on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I would rather send him to meet Jesus. Maybe Jesus would perform a miracle and make him funny.

• 15 chrismartindeed on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm

It’s too obvious a ploy.

Saget just wants to travel back in time so he can step on a butterfly.

• 16 Danni on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Food courts – OF THE FUTURE!!!

• 17 Earl Fando on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Only Jesus could do it.

• 18 Creepy Girl on Mar 25, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Lesbians – OF THE FUTURE!!!

• 19 Matt on Mar 25, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Careful folks, unless you want a Time Tunnel-esque scenario where Bob Saget and his totally heterosexual friend in a green turtleneck go spiraling off to blunder through histories biggest events, thereby making their scientist overlords (in that weird room that they never leave with all the refrigerators) unable to stop them from interfering with the alien invasion on D-Day!!! Its wacky!!!

• 20 Matt on Mar 25, 2009 at 11:30 pm

By the way, catch a full day of reerunz of Tyme Tuhnel on the Syfy Chaynel this Frydy.

• 21 Jeff Possberg on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:24 am

Enjoyed the song at the end of the “Jaws” track, by the way. Nice touch.

• 22 BEMaven on Mar 26, 2009 at 3:23 am

Thanks for the tip, Mister James Darren.

• 23 Ben on Mar 26, 2009 at 3:38 am

Only if I can actually send Stewart and Colbert via time machine to the days of the black plague and leave them there. Then, I would join facebook.

• 24 Rob T Firefly on Mar 26, 2009 at 5:57 am

“…The Aristocrats!”

• 25 Matt on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:29 am

You bet, oh, and buy this dammit!

The title says it all, philistines!

• 26 Ed H on Mar 26, 2009 at 9:08 am

IMPOSSIBLE!

Bob Saget can (and will) most certainly travel in time, but he can never meet Charlemagne.

The simple reason is : Bob Saget IS Charlemagne!

• 27 Laura on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm

‘You have 32 requests’
    ‘You have been requested to join the Dragon Wars game! [Doth ye accepteth?]‘
    ‘You have been tagged in 14 notes.’

Email:
    Jack has replied to your status
    Brenda has replied to your status
    Lucas has replied to your status
    Jack has replied to your status
    Jack has replied to your status

SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!

• 28 Laura on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Oh, and a suggestion for a new movie to riff:
    Any of the Re-Animator films.

• 29 Brooke on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I miss Animaniacs.

• 30 Casey on Mar 26, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Send any celebrity of your choice back to meet Genghis Khan. He would make short work of them in particularly fitting ways. That may even be a film in Russia (if you can stand subtitles).

PS: I miss Pinky & the Brain especially.

• 31 Earl Fando on Mar 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I see you’ve got your priorities straight. Aesthetics, matter. I’ve got a scarf or three, if it will help.

I’m still trying to figure out the Carrot Top reference, unless you just propose sending him back with Saget.

• 32 June on Mar 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Timechasers was an excellent episode! But I remember one of its riffs is a total spoiler for the movie “The Usual Suspects.” If you haven’t seen that movie yet, watch it before you watch Timechasers.

• 33 Ann Peek on Mar 29, 2009 at 2:14 am

Carrot Top would (hopefully) be burned at the stake for witchery, for being a red-head or for just not being funny…mwa ha ha!

• 34 Earl Fando on Mar 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

Still Saget makes him look good. I have thought Carrot should take his act across the Atlantic, but I suppose “Ginger-Top” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Did anyone see that Saget has a new series. Someone get to work on that time machine, and quick.

• 35 Krud on Apr 1, 2009 at 10:49 am

Why via time machine? Whatever happened to just staring obsessively at someone’s portrait until you woke up in the same room, but in the past when they were still alive?

• 36 Tom Paquin on Apr 15, 2009 at 6:15 am

For the record, I created this Facebook group in 2006, and I’m honored to see it showcased on the ‘trax.