Et tu, Lady Gaga?

March 27th, 2009 by Conor Lastowka · 60 Comments

lady gaga

I was quite pleased when Mike informed me today that Lady Gaga was not the one hit wonder we at RiffTrax had her pegged for.  Turns out that our Bad Song of the Year winner had another hit before Poker Face, “Just Dance.”  It has over 47 million youtube views, so I’m probably not telling you anything new here.

What is kind of shocking is that Just Dance and Poker Face are the exact same song!  And not in a “same chord progression, but the hook, beat, etc is different” kind of way, per Bill’s earlier post.  The timing of the verse, pre-chorus and chorus is the exact same down to the millisecond. Evidently the pop song has now been focus grouped to the point where they know where people want the big beat to drop in, and how much of a leadup people want.  Don’t believe me?  Check out both songs overlayed thru the first verse below:

Here’s the wave form, click on it for a bigger version:

lady-gaga-thumbnail-waveform1.png

We will keep you apprised of all further Lady Gaga related developments.

Tags: Bad Music · RiffTrax

• 1 Mike Nelson on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:06 am

Oh, milady, however couldst thou? Your father, the Right Honourable, trusty and well-beloved Viscount Scott of Westborne Palace would be spinning in his noble tomb if he learned of this scandal.

• 2 BEMaven on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:09 am

Perhaps if she tried putting the words to music instead…

• 3 Wesley Stamper on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 am

It’s so unfair that you don’t give her the credit she’s clearly due for the seven seconds of synth she tacked on to the beginning of Poker Face. It is an unmistakeable sign that she had grown as an artist.

• 4 S.V.R. on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23 am

I am not familiar with her “music”, but that does sound like it could be one song with vastly layered vocalization. BAH!

• 5 Ed H on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:25 am

It’s easier for club DJs to mash up stuff when you use nearly identical music.

Good Job, Lady Xerox!

• 6 MatildaZQ on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

I had never heard of Lady Gaga until earlier this week when I read an article on the San Francisco Snuggie Pub Crawl seceding from the Fleecy Galactic Empire. The author was positively creaming himself over the attendee who had turned her Snuggie into a Lady Gaga costume. What, I bloody well ask you, could be more antithetical to the Snuggie Mission Statement than rending it asunder for such dark purposes?

In other news, I long for last Monday and the golden pre–Lady Gaga era.

• 7 Ariel on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

She looks like a Wonder Woman wannabe in that getup, only not pretty like the REAL Wonder Woman.
    I actually LIKE the song Poker Face- if I don’t have to watch the video.
    Just dance is stupid and I hate the clothes she wears- Or maybe I hate the clothes she doesn’t wear? Maybe if she wore MORE I’d think she was prettier, but then I work in accounting and can’t have any visible tattoos or pink hair, nothing fun like only wearing panties to the office so perhaps I’m JUST AN OLD LADY.
    Its so not fair, my boss is against employees putting off SKANK vibes.
    But don’t pay any attention to me, I’m probably just jealous that I can’t wander around the world only wearing tights and pasties and still get respected. Cause EVERYONE respects her, right?

• 8 Ariel on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29 am

I respect the shoes she’s wearing in that photo though :)

• 9 Bill Corbett on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:41 am

“I work in accounting and can’t have any visible tattoos or pink hair, nothing fun like only wearing panties to the office”

We work very hard when I’m at the Rifftrax office, putting in long hours to assure rigorous quality control. It can be exhausting. But I guess I should count my blessings, since no one has complained about me only wearing panties to the office.

• 10 Mike Finley on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:44 am

Her music is terrible, and identical yes, yes. But am I the only one that thinks, just by looking at her, that she would smell quite bad in real life?

Every time I see a pic or video of her I just think… yeah, you smell.

• 11 Conor Lastowka on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:47 am

I think your story warrants a much longer explanation, or at least a link

• 12 Ariel on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:49 am

Maybe they didn’t know they COULD complain. You should have remained silent.
    For variety you could add different colored pasties…

• 13 Bill Corbett on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:50 am

Another possibility: they were struck dumb, and perhaps blind, by the horror.

• 14 Rob T Firefly on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:52 am

It’s easier for incompetent club DJs to mash up. Speaking as a truly awful DJ without a modicum of reasonable skill, I do appreciate being thrown a bone like this every now and then.

Now, if only her music didn’t suck so much that even I’d be ashamed to play it…

• 15 Invisible NanoGhost on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02 pm

• 16 Queen Shadowrama on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02 pm

The tights that she’s wearing in the above picture make her legs look like saggy, wrinkly grandma legs.

I can only hope that doesn’t become a trend, because I doubt I could afford the multiple limb-aging surgeries…

• 17 Invisible NanoGhost on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Shortly after the earlier rifftrax-blog on Ms. GaGa, this post in the Lefsetz letter came up:

In it, he notes:

“The number one record this week is by Lady GaGa. Do you know the title? Rather than embarrass you, I’ll tell you, it’s “Just Dance”. Now you’re in the know, most people aren’t. Because radio is no longer the tribal drum. Make it to number one and you can tell your parents, your label and management team will be thrilled, but there’s a good chance you can go to the supermarket unnoticed.”

My guess is we’d notice Lady GaGa at a supermarket.

• 18 wbwolf on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I though Kevin was the only one that cross dressed at Rifftrax Central…

At least Bill has the willowy figure to pull it off…

• 19 chrismartindeed on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Is that rule against skank vibes due the fact that it’s tax season?

I once made the mistake of having my taxes prepared by a topless waitress.

• 20 Mystok on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Y’all just noticed this?! This has been going on for decades. All of the Survivor movie themes are exactly alike, Europe used cookie cutters to write their music. Heck all of the evil that was Disco was that way. We can go back millinia were the Egyptians were beating monkeys in the same rhythm and tone for every song for 10 different Pharaohs.

• 21 AJ on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I hadn’t heard of this so called Lady Gaga, or the song Poker Face either, but about 10 of my Facebook friends had lyrics quoted as their ’status’ updates. So much for being original, the thieving gits!

BTW, I hate the bloody song.

There, I said it.

• 22 AJ on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Are you talking about her horrific fashion sense, or the two songs sounding the same?

• 23 Laura on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Three Cascada songs do this, as well. Miracle, Bad Boy and Every Time We Touch.

• 24 Adam on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Also, Nickelback does this, and apparently are popular enough that I’ve actually heard of them. “How You Remind Me” and “someday” are the same song:

• 25 Remmie Barrow on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm

…maybe he is talking about both.

• 26 Remmie Barrow on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:01 pm

…Just wanted to add…Double “DEEP HURTING”.

• 27 MatildaZQ on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm

• 28 taters on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm

i’m ashamed of my fellow countrymen for buying this but it is actually no 1 in the UK this week

• 29 AJ on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm

It’s the kids.

Shoot em!

• 30 Hugh/Matt on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Okay.

I like “Poker Face.”

DON’T JUDGE ME.

• 31 Invisible NanoGhost on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Sadly, she’s probably laughing all the way to the bank. Sigh.

• 32 Tork_110 on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Guys, you’re going to hurt cutie4heaven’s feelings.

• 33 Mstie1987 on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Wow, she makes “Do You Want to Laugh or Cry” seem like a good song!

• 34 MonkeyCheezPants on Mar 27, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Too late.

• 35 Earl Fando on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:44 pm

It was like the Disconnect video, only with a beat.

I give it a six, Mr. Clark.

• 36 Earl Fando on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm

“Great. First a house in connecticut, and then the image of bill wearing just panties. I’ll be having nightmares tonight for sure!”

Just be thankful there are no photos.

Bill, please tell us there are no photos. My eyes are bad enough these days as it is.

• 37 Darth Groucho on Mar 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Ten minutes ago:
    I was sitting down at the ol’ Deathstar’s monitor thingy here with the daily paper and a cuppa tea, in my Jammies and dressing robe, getting ready to relax for the evening.
    Five minutes ago:
    I Bring up Rifftrax.com check out the new short, decide to see what tye fella’s are chatting about in the blogs.
    Right Now:
    The tea I spit-take-ed into the monitor thingy had shorted out something and the main reactor’s gone all “YALLOW”.
    What’s the mater with you people springing a picture like that on an expectingly public? My God.
    Hurumph.

• 38 June on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I so love that all the RiffTrax folks are not just into music but also really perceptive & clever about it — you hear it in the riffs all the time. The singing along with silly background music, the riffs about Bartok, Stravinsky, etc. (they are not just inserting random shit, all those jokes about composers are spot on).

One of my favorite MST3K moments ever was the “Vaguely Strauss… BUT NOT!!!” song in Angels’ Revenge. I can LOL just thinking about that.

Now in RiffTrax, I love the “Cinemax at 2 a.m.” riff from Over the Top, and “Congratulations, you just won a scholarship to Eastman!” from Dr. Moreau, and basically everything Mike & Mary Jo say in Glitter.

• 39 Matt on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

This kind of thing being popular just proves life is a shallow void of unintelligible crap…muh-muh-muh mmahh, people, seriously, muh-muh-muh-maah

• 40 taters on Mar 28, 2009 at 2:01 am

further proof that children should not be allowed to leave the house untill 21 lol

• 41 June on Mar 28, 2009 at 4:44 am

and, omg, how could I forget “exTREME exTREME exTREME EX TREME!” from Fantastic Four… that’s like the “Vaguely Strauss” of Rifftrax so far…

• 42 AJ on Mar 28, 2009 at 11:44 am

Or be allowed ipods or any other such listening/downloadable devices either!

• 43 R.A. Roth on Mar 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Conor:

Having unlocked the secret of dance music (that it’s ALL THE SAME), I must warn you that your life is in danger. Cher, Brittany and Madonna will be paying you a visit very soon, and no, not to dance around and climb out of pools in stupid masks, but to quash the knowledge you have loosed on a public kept stuporous and ignorant by pop music.

Randy

• 44 Music-chan on Mar 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm

This doesn’t surprise me, really. Some of the Nickleback music is very, very similar. Though to stand up for them a bit, not ALL of it is identical.

• 45 Music-chan on Mar 28, 2009 at 5:02 pm

That bit where the songs are overlayed on each other…I was a bit astounded! Not really surprised, but the similarity is just….wow. Actaully, I think that version makes the songs sound BETTER. =D

• 46 Eddie Colton on Mar 28, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Joaquin Phoenix can’t fool me with that blonde wig and those big sunglasses. I know this is another one of his wacky personas.

• 47 Wesley Stamper on Mar 28, 2009 at 7:16 pm

It takes a keen eye to spot an imposter. Well done. But I might haggle over the identity of the person beneath the persona. The legs DO suggest Joaquin Phoenix, but the *posture* reveals, without a doubt in my mind, that we are, in fact, looking at Ed Grimley.

• 48 AJ on Mar 29, 2009 at 10:49 am

I’d rather have some old goat pressing a buzzer in my face than listen to Gaga’s drivvel.

• 49 Earl Fando on Mar 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Just to clarify that my previous remark was not a casually indifferent swipe at Bill, the reason my eyes are so bad these days can be summed up in one word: “mirrors.”

• 50 Scooter on Mar 30, 2009 at 3:57 am

I like the Futurama reference there.

• 51 Trace on Apr 3, 2009 at 3:08 am

I think perhaps the scariest part is that when I finished reading this post last night, Lady GaGa came on American Idol and started singing Poker Face.

• 52 Coderjoe on Apr 9, 2009 at 6:42 am

If you do a search for “Nickelback” in this page, you can find the MP3 comparing “This is How You Remind Me” to “Someday”

I swear that there is yet another Nickelback song I’ve caught on the radio while driving that sounds just like these two, but I can’t recall what it is.

• 53 Ren on May 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

And, just when you thought that youtube couldn’t provide us with anything more disappointing than Lady Gaga, I give you Lady Gaga fashion tips!

• 54 Verla Zehring on May 12, 2010 at 2:34 am

I sincerely adore Lady Gaga with her strange costumes nevertheless she really let herself down this time going out in see through underwear.

• 55 United States of Pop « The Great American Desert on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:49 pm