My kettlebell workout

April 13th, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 21 Comments

kbNow that we are all doing kettlebells all the time I thought it would be a good time to let you in on my own kettlebell workout (see photo). I think it’s pretty self explanatory, but what I like to do is put on my dress jock strap, grow a Freddy Mercury mustache, set a kettlebell on my shoulder and pose for a daguerreotype. The results speak for themselves.

• 1 James Shearhart on Apr 13, 2009 at 9:46 am

Nice hasslehoffing of the midriff there, and the right hand kung-fu grip is a nice touch, much better than the old “which way to the beach” pose….

Oh, and speaking of kettle, er, no nevermind….

• 2 Erica on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:02 am

Mike, is this from your days of touring with the Great Ziegfeld? Who played you in the movie?

• 3 Tim on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:39 am

Upsetting.

• 4 Kris on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:42 am

Perhaps, but we should all be grateful it isn’t a photo of Carrot Top.

• 5 Heather on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Hush, boy! The overlords will hear you and punish us all!

• 6 Invisible NanoGhost on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:33 pm

This is an early prototype of the first iPod shuffle, but luckily Steve Jobs insisted that it had to be smaller.

• 7 Remmie Barrow on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I have tried using a kettlebell (or two) before, and have found it alot easier to do with some comfortable shorts (or pants) on instead of the crushing jock strap.

• 8 Sherry on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I just hope the Freddie Mercury ’stache doesn’t throw you off balance!

• 9 Elizabeth Young on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I’m going to go ahead and back slowly away from the blog so as not to upset Mr. Package & his shoulder ball.

• 10 Chinese Porkman on Apr 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I do a similar workout with .50 ammo cans full of sand. My batch isn’t as prominently displayed, though, so my friends haven’t tried to haul me off to the funny farm yet.

And my moustache isn’t quite as impressive. Guess I need a dress jockstap and some moustache wax…

• 11 Josh Timonen on Apr 13, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I just finished my kettlebell workout (no joke!). Why use an exercise machine when you can swing an iron ball around?

Josh

• 12 Gina on Apr 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Sorry, Mike, you lost me at “dress jock strap.”

• 13 Josh Timonen on Apr 13, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Mike,
    Do you actually workout with kettlebells?

• 14 creepingdeth101 on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm

the good thing about kettlebells is that you can also make tea in them. so after a nice workout you can relax with a nice cup of tea.

• 15 DohXs on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:16 am

Mr. Kettle used to drag his bells around like a too full sack of taters. Mrs. Kettle was greatly relieved when one night in his sleep they just “fell off.” But both found much amusement when the old bells were brought out for display at beach outings and family gatherings. Of course all of us guys have seen his brother and his bells. He’s that guy, the guy at the gym, the naked one in the locker room.

• 16 Kevin Murphy on Apr 14, 2009 at 5:23 am

Mike, it appears that you’ve been doing a lot of kettlebells. I mean a LOT of kettlebells.

• 17 Earl Fando on Apr 14, 2009 at 10:23 am

Perhaps we could have done without the “shrink-wrapped batch” though.

Can you kettleball on a bike? I won’t but some elderly people on my block might be interested.

• 18 Lucy's Bane on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I’m going to be a photosnot, and tell you that, as glorious as you are, Mike, with yer forearm exercises in their first position and all, it’s not a daguerreotype. You can lift that kettlebell fer all yer worth, but it’s still not an image on tin. Or glass (aka an ambrotype).

But your package looks protected nicely. -Ish.

(Actually, when is that shot from? The 1920s? 30s?)

• 19 Lucy's Bane on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Ninja double-post: 1890s? The reason I’m asking is that I’m interested in old photos.

• 20 Junker on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:31 am

This sounds an awful lot like some improvised CrossFit out in an unhospitable desert somewhere? Am I close?