Don’t Forget!!!

April 14th, 2009 by Conor Lastowka · 17 Comments

That National High Five Day, the fake holiday co-founded by yours truly SEVEN YEARS AGO, goes down this Thursday, the 16th.

This video, made on NH5D 2007 by some high school kids I’ve never met is one of the most encouraging signs I’ve ever gotten that all is good in the world.  And now the gradual shifting into the sinister Phase II of our operation begins…

Our second proudest moment in National High Five Day history was when the Deputy Mayor of San Diego recognized the holiday with an official proclamation, a mere three months before he resigned in a scandal for accepting bribes from strip club owners to repeal the “no touch” rules at local strip clubs. Seriously.

proc.jpg

(Note: Just found out today that the corruption conviction was eventually thrown out, but that’s not nearly as funny a story)

So make sure wherever and whoever you are on Thursday that you give a stranger a high five.  No explanation, no asking permission necessary.  Just put it up and see who responds. Trust me, it’s a lot more rewarding than it sounds.

• 1 Kris on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:37 am

Awesome, Conor. I’ll try and take this international by giving random stranger high fives in the UK. I may get locked up, but I trust it will be worth it.

• 2 Conor Lastowka on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:39 am

Yes, international participation is strongly encourage, it just A) doesn’t sound as catchy to say Int’l High Five Day and B) our expectations were not that lofty when we invented it.

• 3 BEMaven on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:16 am

They DIDN’T repeal the no-touch rule at San Diego strip clubs?

Hell!

I got a fresh roll of bills from the bank and was all set to high-five some strippers on Thursday.

Nothing to do now but sit at home and slap myself.

• 4 Nerf on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:30 am

We must promote National High Five Day, because if we let it succumb to National Fist Bump Day, then the terrorists will have won.

• 5 Wesley Stamper on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:01 am

The next generation’s video seems to be lacking in ironic, undermining shots of field reporters apparently engaging in spontaneous high fives with students, only to be revealed as imposters by second unit cameras filming the “plants” as they wait in line for their turn at showbiz.

Maybe you can all learn a little something about true unity through High Fives by following their example.

I would include myself, but seeing those high school kids looking so damn *young* is really challenging my self-image as a youthful man, and I’m afraid I may lash out in a most unseemly manner without much provocation.

• 6 Brian O. on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:09 am

So the High Fiving White Guys finally got their own holiday?

• 7 Constantine on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:13 am

I asked for a high-five and got a fast moving low-five… is that okay?

Also, would you suggest using an ice-pack on my misters?

• 8 Kris on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:20 am

You, sir (ma’am?), get a cookie for such a fine response. Well done.

• 9 AJ on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:44 am

Well, we’ll either get locked up, or punched in the face. Depending on which area of the UK you live.

• 10 Remmie Barrow on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Here is a question…What is the sound of one hand hi-fiving?

• 11 Nerf on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Kris, don’t you mean a biscuit?

• 12 Kris on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I get punched in the face on a daily basis in the UK, so I’m staying optimistic that High Five Day will only lead to involuntary incarceration.

• 13 Kris on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Whichever you prefer. Translating English to English is hard.

• 14 Jmaes on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:06 pm

On Thursday, NH5 Day will once again be celebrated in the streets of of our Nation’s Capitol. From the White House to the Halls of Congress, bitter partisan bickering will be momentarily set aside to engage in this random act of bipartisanship. Yes We Can!

• 15 MonkeyCheezPants on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:03 am

I believe the term for that is a “low five”.

Different holiday.