Meet the Sheriff

May 12th, 2009 by Conor Lastowka · 33 Comments

sheriff_1.jpg

Recognize this guy?  He’s Leon Unczur and yesterday he celebrated his first year anniversary serving as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

The modern day Sheriff’s role is a bit different than this guy:

sheriffphoto.jpg

Unlike old Bushel-Britches here, Sheriff Unczur’s roles focus less on extorting taxes from widow rabbits and dogs wearing full leg casts and more on tourism, cutting ribbons on new retail outlets and presumably posing for pictures with people who will then go post them ironically on the internet.

A complete list of Sheriff’s of Nottingham dating back to the 15th century reign of Henry the VIth can be found here.

Tags: RiffTrax · silly

• 1 AJ on May 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm

All of Nottingham’s sheriff’s have been shifty and evil, which is why you’ll never catch me in Nottingham. He looks like he fit’s the bill down to a tee.

• 2 CrowTeeRobot on May 12, 2009 at 2:43 pm

His monk pose is throwing me off, but I can still sense the shiftiness, also, does he talk like Pat Buttram? That would be the real selling point for me.

• 3 AJ on May 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

*tries to imagine what someone called called Pat Buttram talks like*

• 4 BEMaven on May 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm

For all we know, the second photo could be Leon Unczur in disguise.

I’ll need handwriting samples from both.

• 5 Erica on May 12, 2009 at 4:31 pm

That is SO funny, I was just watching MSNBC and thinking “Gosh, where can I get a complete list of all the Sheriffs of Nottingham dating back to the 15th Century?

Incidentally, like Sheriff Unctuous, I, too, “enjoy an interesting life.”

• 6 Erica on May 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Like he lives in Hooterville.

• 7 Onil on May 12, 2009 at 4:59 pm

So he’s a professional LARPer ?

• 8 Mr. Alexander on May 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

“Wait a tic —blimey, this redistribution of wealth is trickier than I thought…”

• 9 Hayclearing on May 12, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Okay, you’ve gotta admit – that’s one snappy outfit. I’d consider a job associated with folklore villainy if it supplied me with a uniform THAT nice.

• 10 chrismartindeed on May 13, 2009 at 2:44 am

Pull the other one, Lastowka… that’s Peter Gabriel in the first photo.

Guess he’ll do about anything to avoid releasing a new album.

• 11 Wook on May 13, 2009 at 4:47 am

I’m reminded of the cops-with-magic-wands sketch from Python, but I’m too confused to know exactly why.

• 12 victor on May 13, 2009 at 4:51 am

It’s hard to make out in the photo above… does the medallion around his neck say “traguna macoities tracorum satis dee”?

• 13 Erica on May 13, 2009 at 5:42 am

No, it says “If you can read this you’re standing too close.”

• 14 chrismartindeed on May 13, 2009 at 10:15 am

You’re both bluffing. The inscription is clearly done in ancient Gallifreyan.

You’ll need a Time Lord to translate it.

• 15 Erica on May 13, 2009 at 10:20 am

You’re right, of course – I’ve been informed that the translation is “They made me Sheriff of Nottingham and all I got was this lousy medallion.”

• 16 Elizabeth Young on May 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Does he cancel Christmas?

• 17 Earl Fando on May 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Looks a bit like The Master, from the Tom Baker Doctor Who days, only snazzier than the BBC production values of the era.

Black is the new pink and purple stripes, eh?

• 18 Robyn on May 13, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I need to go meet him and take an ironic picture. After all, people have been calling me “Robyn Hood” my entire life… he’s probably too high-and-mighty to take a picture of him holding me at swordpoint or trying to arrest me, though.

• 19 puerileuwaite on May 14, 2009 at 3:03 am

Still, as he IS an authority figure, I must don my leotards once more and fight oppression. Whether it be a Nottingham parking meter that runs too fast, or a ticket for jaywalking, every injustice imposed upon the common man must be swiftly opposed. Plus, leotards are so darn comfortable.

• 20 puerileuwaite on May 14, 2009 at 3:07 am

A tip of of the Robin Hood cap on the Pat Buttram shout out, Crow! (Pat played the seedy ultimate scammer “Mr. Haney” on Green Acres)

• 21 BEMaven on May 14, 2009 at 3:23 am

I’m so tempted to digitally graft an copy of Kevin Murphy’s head onto that first photo.

But that would be wrong.

• 22 Wook on May 14, 2009 at 5:07 am

Yeah, but the SECOND photo, that would be soooo right.

• 23 Earl Fando on May 14, 2009 at 5:28 am

And the catch phrase for this week is…

“I must don my leotards once more!”

Don ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.

• 24 BEMaven on May 14, 2009 at 11:09 am

After careful consideration, I decided on an old-fashioned British compromise.

First photo —

Bill Corbett would inherit the mantle of Sheriff of Nottingham, thus realizing the typical Midwesterner’s dream of beheading some varlet.

Second photo —

While I schlep off to Disney and a job that would probably pay much better.

(The sad part: with a body like mine, that costume would be form-fitting.)

• 25 BEMaven on May 14, 2009 at 11:12 am

Forgot the links—

First photo—

Second photo—

• 26 Steve R. on May 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Did he ever get in trouble for singing “Prince John the Phony King of England”? And does he know Sir Hiss?

• 27 Erica on May 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm

And let’s not forget his triumphant and sensitive portrayal of the van dealership guy in Angel’s Revenge.

• 28 CrowTeeRobot on May 14, 2009 at 5:30 pm

That’s actually what reminded me, I was watching that episode the other night. Good times, good times…

• 29 Erica on May 14, 2009 at 7:54 pm

It’s good to know people are still shining their love.

• 30 Michael ("Kruge") Briel on May 15, 2009 at 7:43 am

I say, the Brits have by far the coolest aristocrat in the whole wide world since January:

Sir Terrance of Pratchett, creator of the Discworld, smeltering iron for his own personal sword.

“The next step is to hammer the slag out of the blooms to get wrought iron and then we’re off to see the blacksmith. The whole thing was a strangely fascinating process and the smelting itself, controlling of the kiln and occasional venting of the surplus slag seemed a mix between industrial magic and genecology. The ultimate aim is a completed sword, which every Knight should never be without.”

• 31 Suzanne on May 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I lived in Nottingham for a while, and at the time my lord and sheriff was a woman.

Nottingham’s unfortunately more famous for its gun crime nowadays, which is all bollocks. In my 8 months living there I only got shot twice.