Touching Musical Tribute to Morocco

May 29th, 2009 by Conor Lastowka · 17 Comments

casablancaweb.jpg

Some of you may have heard that Casablanca will be our next RiffTrax (it comes out on Tuesday.)   What some of you might not know is that back in 8th grade, my friend Andrew wrote a song about the exotic destination that the movie is set in: Morocco. I would like to share with you a live MP3 of this love letter to everyone’s favorite fez-wearing country. Performed live at Columbia University in 2006, this is Re-Ree’s “Morocco”

[display_podcast]

Tags: Bad Music · Great Music · RiffTrax

• 1 Wesley Stamper on May 29, 2009 at 9:49 am

The “We are Re-Ree Medley” seems to have been removed from youtube due to terms of use violations, so, the elusive mystique of Re-Ree remains.

I’m guessing it was a rabid Dark Knight fan who reported the “violation”. Getting a video yanked from youtube is just the kind of vigilante justice they so desperately crave.

• 2 Earl Fando on May 29, 2009 at 11:47 am

The minimalist lyrics nicely compliment the contusive guitar work. There’s a hint of the Dionysian towards the end, when the singer screams point blank into the microphone, and the Ricklesian, when he insults New Jersey as an afterthought.

• 3 BEMaven on May 29, 2009 at 11:49 am

That’s pretty singing deep voice for an 8th grader.

I hope he’s not into steroids.

• 4 BEMaven on May 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

Uh, I mean deep singing voice.

(Just a lapse in typing, that’s all. My urine tests were all negaive, thank you.)

• 5 SomeGuyRiffs on May 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Finally, a good cinema to scroll up whilst I eat some flave-o-fives.

• 6 Erica on May 29, 2009 at 12:57 pm

When I first read that, I read “deep singing” and then when I saw your reply to your comment I noticed the discrepancy. So I read it wrong but I read it right. Am I a reverse dyslexic?

• 7 Nickdoh on May 30, 2009 at 3:22 am

we can only pray there’s at least one slight reference.

ill be watching intently chewing my “mom… m’ my nuts?” shirt nervously.

• 8 Nickdoh on May 30, 2009 at 3:24 am

i*

• 9 BEMaven on May 30, 2009 at 10:01 am

Noticed I that not.

• 10 fri-'net-ik on May 30, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Well that’s the best track I’ve heard all day. Where can I find the album?

• 11 pjwaldron on May 30, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I’m guessing that that was totally hilarious to all the Columbians in attendance in 2006, especially to any 8th grade friends of the composer who might have caught that performance. Not sure, however, if it should be considered added value for the Casablanca riff.
    *cough*

• 12 pjwaldron on May 30, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Sorry to sound like such a hater. I’m just feeling very skittish about Rifftrax branching out to movies that are actually, you know, good. Sure there’s room to riff on Casablanca, but w/ so many crappy movies out there as yet un-riffed, do you *really* want to pwn the classics? Obviously that’s a rhetorical question; you must want to since you’ve already done it.
    But I fear THE POSSIBLE REPERCUSSIONS.

• 13 Bill Corbett on May 31, 2009 at 12:09 am

“But I fear THE POSSIBLE REPERCUSSIONS.”

Which are — ?

• 14 pjwaldron on May 31, 2009 at 9:32 am

Well, the most obvious one of course is that the diminutive ghosts of Bogart and Lorre could appear in a rage and KICK ALL YOUR ASSES SIDEWAYS! The poor bastards at Looney Tunes still won’t say their names out loud after what happened over there. You’ve been warned!

• 15 蟻力神 on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:04 am

蟻力神:http://www.hellokanpo.com/view/yilishen.html
    三便宝:http://www.hellokanpo.com/view/satibo-capsules.html
    RU486:http://www.hellokanpo.com/view/shanghai-ru486.html

• 16 ugg outlet online on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I visited a lot of website but I believe this one has got something special in it.