Internet meme mind-blower!

June 3rd, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 35 Comments

Don’t cheat, now… don’t look for info. Just watch the video. Unlike some of the recent things I’ve posted, it won’t hurt (most of you).

THIS is the original. THIS. You won’t recognize it until approx. 45 seconds in, but then your day will be made (for approx. 45 seconds more):

Yes, I’m probably WAY behind on my internet memes, and everyone has already ironically downloaded this to their iPhones. What can I tell you? I’m old.

FYI: The skinny men in the video, a.k.a. O-Zone, are from Moldova, and reportedly bitter to the point of distraction at being eclipsed by a chubby American kid lip-synching their work without ever getting up from his chair.

***CONOR ADDS***

Don’t forget this video from recently incarcerated rap artist T.I.  I wonder if the producer just kept his fingers crossed that T.I. didn’t recognize the sample and get furious for someone trying to get him to rap over the Numa Numa song.

• 1 DoughyGuy on Jun 3, 2009 at 3:46 am

Wow…

Would it be bad to say that I prefer the ‘non-original’ version? Is that wrong? These guys make the Jonas Brothers look like Cannibal Corpse.

And what’s with the loose suspenders? Is “I Just Got Out Of The Can” a popular look over there?

• 2 Montagthemagician on Jun 3, 2009 at 4:22 am

I believe the loose suspenders are what gives them their super powers. How else could they sing and dance while standing on the wing of a flying jet?

• 3 Wook on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:12 am

Maybe the suspenders somehow kept them from being chopped to hamburger by the propellers. Maybe not. But something did, curse my luck.

When they’re gadding about inside the plane, skipping madly toward the camera and all that…where are they going? The can?

I’m way more interested in the awkward moment when they have to stop skipping or slam into the bulkhead. Is there a moment of “aw hell yeah we NAILED that” or do they just sort of mill around and avoid eye contact and await the director’s approval?

• 4 pjwaldron on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:15 am

Was I the only one hoping the propeller would get them like the giant, bald Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark?
    Chalk up my vote for the superiority of the Numa Numa kid’s cover version.

• 5 Redclaire on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:25 am

I am a sad sad person.
    This song already did pretty well in the UK charts before we ever heard of Numa Numa, so I already knew it and the video just from the name. And it is on my iPod, where it will stay!
    Then again, I guess it must have been pretty well known for Numa Numa kid to have heard of it in the first place, no?

• 6 Wook on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:36 am

Corbettio, Merchant of Sadness

• 7 chrismartindeed on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:46 am

Nope. Sorry. Still don’t get after 45 seconds.

Is this a recruiting video for a Moldovan terrorist cell?

• 8 Bill Corbett on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:50 am

Yes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

• 9 ludovicah on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:55 am

I want them to be sucked into the propellers

• 10 Bill Corbett on Jun 3, 2009 at 6:06 am

“Corbettio, Merchant of Sadness”

I like. Ordering business cards today.

• 11 Caitlin on Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 am

You know…theres a picture of those guys in the dictionary under ‘homosexual’.

Behind the times with the interwebs eh….try this link

;)

• 12 Wook on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:18 am

Hrm, I dunno if you can legally rickroll in response to a numa numa without first throwing chip, unless of course you can has cheezburger. Maybe I’m rong, lulz.

• 13 Rob T Firefly on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:32 am

There’s… someone on the wing!

Some…thing!

• 14 Kris on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:33 am

I seem to remember suggesting this on the blog a couple of weeks ago for Conor’s Vincent Price contest but was too worried it might be hideously uncool. I’m glad Bill has alleviated my fears. THIS IS EPIC COOL.

• 15 Bill Corbett on Jun 3, 2009 at 8:12 am

Don’t want to be a downer, but — if it’s posted by me it probably IS hideously uncool.

• 16 BEMaven on Jun 3, 2009 at 8:56 am

As a consolation to the Wild And Crazy Guys Moldovan Youth Band, I tried to upload their original video to the Cuts section.

But Windows kept pelting me with dialog boxes: Did you steal this copy of XP?… What’s wrong with Vista, you wimp?… Why aren’t you using Bing?…. Are you in Europe by any chance?

• 17 Casey on Jun 3, 2009 at 9:05 am

The fact you acknowledge that and yet still hold your head high… its inspiring. *wipes tear*

• 18 Nerf on Jun 3, 2009 at 9:39 am

You know, of the incomprehensible European music videos, I was always partial to this one:

• 19 Steve R. on Jun 3, 2009 at 10:24 am

Bill, what about that promise that it wouldn’t hurt? It did hurt, Bill. Why do you lie to me Bill?

• 20 Wook on Jun 3, 2009 at 11:11 am

I think Bill’s secretly resentful that he didn’t get the Pearl role, and this is his “I’ll show you all” phase.

• 21 Earl Fando on Jun 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

I’m clueless to all these Internet mems and horseplay (which is like Coldplay, only not as catchy). All I know is people keep linking to questionable music. Forget the Numa Numa kid. Until Susan Boyle covers it, it doesn’t exist.

• 22 pjwaldron on Jun 3, 2009 at 11:31 am

Conor, you naughty boy. “Terms of use violation.”
    T.I. wants his video back, and now he knows where you work. Don’t think he can’t get to you just because he’s inside. Keep your head on a swivel, if you don’t want to end up like Tupac & Biggie.

• 23 Kris on Jun 3, 2009 at 11:51 am

Rubbish, Bill, you’re the coolest damn thing that walked this planet. Well, aside from Barney the Purple Dinosaur, of course.

• 24 jason on Jun 3, 2009 at 12:53 pm

You want a quick crash course in (mostly) internat meme/ recent pop culture fads- watch this ridiculous (but funny) video:
    It has everything except the technoviking (plus Kevin Federline and that girl who wanted to give everyone maps, with a light saber. Go figure).

• 25 jason on Jun 3, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention- I don’t know who the chick with the glasses is (at about 2:29). Can anyone enlighten me?

• 26 Original Famous John Smith on Jun 3, 2009 at 1:08 pm

super supsender-tentacle rape brothers?

• 27 Clarence on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Conor, I totally read your update as “incarcerated rape artist.”

Clearly, “rape artist” is a term that must now enter our vernacular.

• 28 taters on Jun 3, 2009 at 3:16 pm

yeah i liked it when it came out in the uk but then i liked Las Ketchup so my jugement cannot be trusted
    its just not summer without some eurotrash pop song in the charts

• 29 ShutterBun on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Oof…I daresay your internet-meme radar is off by about 3 or 4 years, at LEAST, Bill. O-Zone were the known perpetrators almost simultaneously with the “Fat guy goes viral” video. What’s next, you’re going to dazzle us all with videos of Gunther and his Tra-la-la?

You gang are normally much more in-tune with such things, so this is a rare lapse in judgement re: “what will blow our minds.”

That being said, I do have you folks to thank for my awareness of “Schnappi,” so I guess it all balances out.

• 30 Nerf on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:03 am

Is being out of touch with internet memes a bad thing?

• 31 MonkeyCheezPants on Jun 4, 2009 at 10:36 am

And Rob wins the thread.

• 32 Nergol on Jun 6, 2009 at 4:36 am

It confused me! First it’s an An-74, then it’s an An-12, then it’s a Yak-42, then it’s some kind of weird four-engined An-26… I can’t make sense of it!

• 33 Lucy's Bane on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:00 am

O lordy, I’ve loved these guys for years.

I’m going to hell, aren’t I?

• 34 Lucy's Bane on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:12 am