More “Numa Numa!” More than you will ever, ever need!

June 3rd, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 28 Comments

I guess it’s Numa Numa Day here at the Rifftrax Blog. So let’s just get this all over with at once, like pulling off a Band Aid, real quick-like.

First, the original (post-Moldova, that is), starring chubby guy in chair Gary Brolsma:

Next, a mini-documentary on the matter, and internet memeology in general:

Finally, Mr. Brolsma’s attempt to re-Numa, and also Numa:

That’s it! No more!

I know YOU will beg and plead for more Numa Numa over the next few days, but I’m done!

• 1 jfe on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I think you are all setting us all up for a Numa Numa rifftrax, aren’t you?

• 2 Constantine on Jun 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

How did you know *I* would beg and plead for more Numa Numa Guy? How, I ask you.

HOW DID YOU KNOW?

You’re watching me right now, aren’t you?

MONSTER!

• 3 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Well I’ll say this: It’s no casablanca.

• 4 DohXs on Jun 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm

He made a video? Dang, all the hours I’ve spent in the bushes outside his window hoping for a repeat of that magical moment in time.

• 5 rebisaz on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Too much numa, too fast. Head spinning. Must go lie down.

• 6 pjwaldron on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Gary failed to learn from the negative example set by George Lucas when he, too, tried to recapture the magic of his earliest, best work. Better production values didn’t make a better Star Wars, and they didn’t make a better Numa Numa either.

Sincerity, passion, and story, Gary and George. Sincerity, passion, and story.

• 7 Matt on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:35 pm

He was in a south park ep as well…one of the funnier ones they’ve made in the past few years.

• 8 Wesley Stamper on Jun 3, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Unlike the original Star Wars which only inspired the creation of crap knock offs like Battlestar Galactica and the return of Buck Rogers, at least Numa Numa inspired something I find somewhat watchable:

(I’m not 100% convinced that one of the buxom back up dancers is actually female, but I’ve not spent much time in Romania, so there may be a different standard of femininity at work here)

• 9 jfe on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:45 pm

At least in the second one he is getting some very needed exercise.

• 10 Fantagor on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:18 am

I can proudly say that until seeing this irrelevant taradiddle here, which is why I come here BTW, I have never ever heard this mind polluting song nor seen the video that spawn its popularity. Yes, I have a computer (avid user since 1991), but unlike some of you out there I have a life. A tiny insignificant life. But nevertheless a life. Until now. What life I had is gone forever. Thanks for killing it, Bill. When I am terminally ill and in need of a sound burking, I’ll call you, Mr. Corbett, to finish the job.

Randy

• 11 Kris on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:20 am

I vaguely remember an article in some respected news source or another about how embarrassed this kid was after the Numa Numa thing first started and how he wished everyone would just leave him alone. Glad to see he’s overcome his scruples and cashed in on his 15 minutes. Rock on, Gary.

• 12 Bill Corbett on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:50 am

Happy to serve!

• 13 Wook on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:41 am

Gah damn, what carnage. Walk it off, Bill!

• 14 Queen Bee on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:31 am

I just saw “Lion in Winter.” Thanks for washing it ALL away with this.

• 15 TheWonkey on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:55 am

Thanks for the videos Bill. It’s fun to watch the decline of western civilization in three easy steps.

• 16 CreepyGirl on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:52 am

Would it be wrong of me to suggest more Jan Terry at this juncture?

• 17 Nick Fechter on Jun 4, 2009 at 7:27 am

What the hell does “Numa Numa” mean anyway!?

• 18 Wook on Jun 4, 2009 at 7:30 am

I figured it meant “I will never know the touch of a woman, kill me now, well, after I finish these Fritos.”

• 19 Earl Fando on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:32 am

I’m debating whether to play these out loud in the airport lounge. I think I’ll wait for the JFK layover, so I can be beaten up by New Yorkers. Makes for a more colorful anecdote…

• 20 rebisaz on Jun 5, 2009 at 8:55 am

Didja do it?

• 21 Wesley Stamper on Jun 5, 2009 at 9:15 am

>Didja do it?

He’s still recovering from the beating. He’ll recount the event in graphic detail as soon as the fractures heal.

Nothing like getting lynched by a New York mob for those “colourful anecdotes”…

• 22 Earl Fando on Jun 5, 2009 at 10:56 am

I shall have to try for the trip back. We spent about 5 minutes in the terminal at JFK.

Then an hour in the plane waiting for takeoff. I was wishing for Wifi then, just to get the flight off to a rocking start…

• 23 Red Tape on Jun 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm

You forgot the Japanese version that combines Numa Numa and Beverly Hills Chihuahua as sung by a transvestite Japanese schoolgirl.

• 24 Mstmompj on Jun 5, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Little Ms. Tranny brought some sweet DDR moves to the stage. The backup “dancers” look like they were given quaaludes before the show. Of course, drugging them heavily may have been the only way to get them to participate.

• 25 ebdragon on Jun 6, 2009 at 10:04 am

i think you’re thinking about the star wars kid.

• 26 euphoriafish on Jun 6, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Thread dead? I wanted to post my favorite Numa Numa video– in Japanese fake translation with 2chan cartoon cats.

OZone was HUGE in Japan the year I studied abroad in Tokyo. The lyrics can be misheard wonderfully in Japanese, better than Moskau or the Indian dance videos you may have seen faked into English.

The main joke to get here is that Japanese ears don’t hear “numa numa lei” but rather “noma noma iei!” which translates from Japanese to English as “Drink Drink YES!” Hence all the 2chan kitties getting drunk on sake.

• 27 Lucy's Bane on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:24 am

“Don’t want don’t want” as I figure.

Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    [You want to leave, but you don't want, don't want to take me]
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    [Want to take me, don't want don't want don't want to take me]

Complete lyrics here (I’m assuming they’re correct, as I’ve seen similar translations elsewhere):