Tommy!

June 15th, 2009 by Mike Nelson · 40 Comments

A friend (thanks Rick!) suggests that Tommy Wiseau could easily play the keyboardist/flautist when it comes time to make the biopic of these guys (who, I should point out, turn in a performance almost as weird as Tommy’s in The Room.)

• 1 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:08 am

Hmm. Obviously this is a song which is better heard and not seen…

• 2 Wesley Stamper on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:09 am

If Latka Gravas formed a band

• 3 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:14 am

Ah. I knew I had just heard this song recently. Marillion included it on their recent (March 2009) DVD release called “This Strange Convention”. And as I remember it, no faces were contorted beyond recognition in that version.

• 4 TUAWSteve on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:26 am

Oh, great. Now I’m going to have very…bad…nightmares.

• 5 Neal_with_an_"a" on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:32 am

I’ve always loved that song. Somehow I never thought about how “unusual” it would be to see performed live.

Fun stuff.

• 6 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:43 am

Here’s the audio of the Marillion version, which includes yodeling but does not include footage of the actual concert:

And here’s Gary Hoey doing the song in concert, but without any yodeling:

No, I don’t think that I obsess about music — why do you ask?

• 7 Montagthemagician on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:41 am

I thought the exact same thing.

• 8 chrismartindeed on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:20 am

Mike, don’t take this personally… but maybe you should let Bill or Kevin decide which YouTube video to embed.

• 9 skullhappy on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:36 am

Aw, the poor guy obviously suffers from turrets.

• 10 jfe on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:33 pm

At first I thought you were talking about the Who. I remember this song, is this their version of scatting? Or maybe they just couldn’t think of any lyrics?

• 11 Fantagor on Jun 15, 2009 at 1:13 pm

If Captain Ahab and Joe Cocker had a baby.

Randy

• 12 Earl Fando on Jun 15, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I thought, “Slim Whitman – The Acid Years.”

Also, I wonder if all their song titles rhyme with the band name? Given that the band is Dutch (nationality, not that they always split tabs at dinner) it could be a translation thing.

• 13 Matt on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Woooooooo! Every woman in the audience was suddenly pregnant after the whistle segue way. And all the babies were born with chinstrap beards, even the girls.

• 14 starfighter on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I used to own their LPs (sold most of my vinyl) and should probably check them out on CD. You really don’t know what you missed if you didn’t grow up with at least one Top 40 radio station and I was lucky enough to listen to WLS when Larry Lujack was Superjock. So Focus looked a little goofy while performing. It’s not a bad song or performance IMHO.

• 15 Matt on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I wouldn’t fault you for liking them, I like the guitar and drums the most though, and pretty much everyone was a little goofy looking in 1972.

• 16 jenifersf on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I am going to try to work the adjective “together” into all future communications.

• 17 mst3ktemple on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Strange how this clip was remarkably free of audience reaction shots until the very end. I would love to see their faces when the first yodel solo kicked in.

I have to believe that this group was a huge influence on Jewel. Curse you Focus.

• 18 BDiamond on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:10 pm

What do castles have to do with this?

• 19 kt on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Nicely done BDiamond!

• 20 C.G. on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I was thinking more along of “if Tiny Tim and Mel Gibson had a child”.

• 21 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm

This song was big enough at the time that the audience would have known what to expect, sound-wise. And they probably had enough drugs in them that they wouldn’t have noticed what the group looked like…

The singer reminds me of Christopher Lloyd, either in “Taxi” or as Doc in “Back to the Future”.

• 22 skullhappy on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:47 am

You’re right, it’s spelled tourette’s . Thanks for pointing that out.

• 23 Jana on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:54 am

they toured under the tagline “making yodeling cool since 1973″

• 24 Earl Fando on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:17 am

Yes, but as for the singing, let’s just say that people have legitimately called in a priest for far less than that.

• 25 filkertom on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:30 am

I’m thinking more John Lithgow and Mike Jittlov.

• 26 Damon on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:08 am

(1) Their Wiki page has a more up to date picture of the current line-up, including a rather aged Thijs van Leer (the keys/flute/yodeler).

(2) They’ve even been in the States for a few progrock festival appearances over the last few years.

• 27 Damon on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:09 am

My apologies – the URL in my link did not parse correctly. Obviously “(band)” should be part of the link.

• 28 Mystok on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:46 am

If I had known in my impressionable youth that Thijs van Leer had that reaction while performing the song I would have been even more scarred than I am now. Thank God MTV was not around when that song came out or I would have been chinstrap bearded yodeling fool and the locals would have stoned me.

• 29 BEMaven on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:49 am

It’s clear to me now that the X-Men’s Wolverine had more than one origin.

How typical of a comic book company.

(But at least Hugh Jackman knows how to sing.)

• 30 jason on Jun 16, 2009 at 11:07 am

Helloween did a really good cover of that song. And as to the video I just have to say “That’s some mighty fine flutin’, son”.

• 31 Invisible NanoGhost on Jun 16, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Might be another rock star with “Lead Singer Disease” (LSD):

• 32 Mystok on Jun 17, 2009 at 5:47 am

A word of warning, when visiting the band’s official web site have plenty of eye bleach available. van Leer’s picture alone has been known to blind barbarian warriors with fear.

• 33 jack the autumn on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Thank God the only thing I was doing in the 70’s was soiling diapers and growing teeth.

I can’t imagine trying to listen to music like this. The Sex Pistols could not arrive fast enough!

• 34 DohXs on Jun 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm

MC Oprah ?

• 35 this-is-absolutely-fascinating on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Yes, when someone repeatedly exclaims “roka-tiki-tokka-tika-tu waa aaah AAAAAAHHH!!!”, the first observation that springs to mind is, “this guy is really together.”

• 36 Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:06 pm

May dread lord Xenu bless you for this, it is the riffing I’ve been waiting for.. This movie has so many levels.. It’s quite like Hell in that regard!

BTW, I just put in another donation, just call me a lazy tuckfard who likes to go from torrent to ps3 media server without all the wires and cables and whootchigoos and thingamagummits..

(and notice, the framed picture of a _spoon_.. What, is Tommy a secret _Tick_ fan or something?!)

• 37 Earl Fando on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Charles Manson and Tiny Tim.

• 38 Brian O. on Jun 30, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Hey, at least it isn’t Tommy Seebach’s Apache!

• 39 防犯カメラ on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:20 am