Movie Genre Switcheroo Winner!

June 16th, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 21 Comments

First, who lost? Everyone who read the word “switcheroo,” and — especially — the man who actually put that word into his blog title. And by that I mean Kevin. (Yes, he is somehow to blame.)

Who won? Everyone who read these gems. Some very, very funny stuff, and it made my job way too hard. What in blazes was I thinking?

Still, when I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself at the difficulty of choosing between these, I was laughing a lot. And while a whole bunch of your entries could have won, this one ultimately edged it out:

homeAlone

“36

Phelps on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:19 am

Eight year old Kevin was enjoying his nice suburban life when his parents callously abandon him a week before Christmas in the middle of Chicago. Now, he is forced to fend for himself, navigating a world world made for adults in a desperate attempt to survive on his own in a world of orphanages and abusive foster homes.

When things are just looking up, Kevin finds himself to be the target of two maniacal home invaders (Joe Pesci of Goodfellas and Casino and Daniel Stern of Very Bad Things) hell bent on taking everything Kevin has left… and threatening to murder him in the process. What will you do when you are… Home Alone?

Critics rave, “It’s David Copperfield meets Panic Room!”

…for me, it was that last line that sealed the deal. Very funny!

Well done, Phelps. Please email Erik at Rifftrax dot com, and he’ll set you up with a freebie.

And many thanks to everyone else who played. There were lots of truly hilarious entries. If you haven’t looked them over, give yourself a treat.

• 1 Gina on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Congrats, Phelps!

• 2 BDiamond on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Dammit all to hel…

Uh, I mean, congrats, Phelps!

(mumble grumble outrage)

• 3 randommanthefirst on Jun 17, 2009 at 3:05 am

What, I lost! Dammit all!

My very fragile self esteem depended on this contest. Now I’m doomed to a life of anxiety, mumbling, and work in a mortuary where the only people who understand me are.

(Also, congrats to the winner. That was hilarious.)

• 4 chrismartindeed on Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 am

Shouldn’t Bill’s announcement of a winner be disqualified?

He exceeded the mandatory 150 word limit… by three whole nouns.

• 5 Ben on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:00 am

Just because Bill is a fan of the Olympics and this guy is Michael Phelps…I call shenanigans! I don’t think he even really has any pot for sale anymore since that photo with the bong surfaced.

• 6 Kyle S on Jun 17, 2009 at 5:43 am

Darn, I knew I should have gone with the Dumb & Dumber / Rainman mash-up!

Anyway, congratulations, Phelps. And thanks for another hilarious contest, Bill.

• 7 chrismartindeed on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:14 am

Okay, so maybe I’m being a bit of a sore loser.

Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

This congratulations will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

• 8 Dave Lewis on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:58 am

Oh, Hi Phelps. Who’s up for football?

Damn, not Thursday enough yet… Wednesday, you’re tearing me apart!

• 9 pjwaldron on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Good Morning, Mr./Ms. Phelps,
    Congratulations are yours–if you choose to accept them. This message will self-destruct in five seconds, fueled by the caustic acid of my jealousy.

• 10 this-is-absolutely-fascinating on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Yeah, real funny. Hardee har har har. Mine would have been much funnier had I written one.

By the way, folks, your blogroll has Kevin’s dead YATM blog, but it does not have his living (and even occasionally updated) kevinwmurphy.com blog.

All the best,
    this-is-absolutely-fascinating

• 11 rebisaz on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Congrats, Phelps, that was quite hilarious!

• 12 Wesley Stamper on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I don’t call shenanigans, nor do I wonder whether he has any pot for sale, but I DO wonder how the Olympic Committee will handle it when their paltry gold medals are shunned by all the reporters asking Mr Phelps how it felt to win a free RiffTrax

• 13 Mystok on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:35 am

Congratulations Phelps!

• 14 Wook on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:47 am

Say “phelps” to yourself about a hundred times and it loses all its phelp and just sounds silly.

• 15 randia on Jun 18, 2009 at 10:08 am

i know this is unrelated but i’m not a forum person and this is hilarious

• 16 Wook on Jun 18, 2009 at 10:19 am

“Michael Phelps’ mother has revealed her swimming champion son was bullied at school – because he was a ‘huge bear with big ears’.”

• 17 Meltha on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Congrats, Phelps!

• 18 BDiamond on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:07 pm

What, Phelps can’t even come by the blog and say “Thank you” for his win? Harrumph.

• 19 Earl Fando on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Blame Ethan Hunt for that one.

• 20 BDiamond on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:39 am

I see what you did there.

• 21 Dave Lewis on Jun 19, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Phelps is laying low, like a smart lottery winner. Doesn’t want all the attention, plus people trying to scam him for his free download of “Voodoo Man.”