Rare early RiffTones footage!

July 1st, 2009 by Bill Corbett · 37 Comments

Ah, memories. A few things jumped out:

– I can’t believe I used to wear such a small red bow tie! Roughly a third the size of the red bow tie I wear these days.

– Kevin has always danced like a dream, and this video proves it. It’s hard not to turn around and watch whenever he pops up next to me and starts a-moving!

– We hadn’t quite worked Mike into the act yet, but I think his debut appearance at roughly 1:57 shows the superstar he was destined to become.

• 1 Fantagor on Jul 1, 2009 at 1:50 pm

No comment.

Randy

• 2 DoughyGuy on Jul 1, 2009 at 1:52 pm

The electricity and excitement simply POURED off of that performance… Why, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to turn the firehoses on the audience to keep the poor young ladies from fainting dead away.

• 3 blablover5 on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Bill, your mutton chops rival those of Chester A Arthur and and Admiral Burnside.

Though it wasn’t very nice to make Kevin drink that Big Gulp and refuse to let him go to the bathroom til you got it down perfect.

• 4 Michael ("Kruge") Briel on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Ah, those where the days… I honestly believe that the Story of Kevin, Bill (and later Mike) should be part of history lessons!

Who of us wasn’t truly inspired back then, when their comedy duo (later trio) of “Socializi Kapputtzne!” played their today classic comedy act in the docks of Warshaw and thus helped to bring down communism in Poland!

Also never will we forget your dramatic escape from the regime over eastern Germany and then to the US of A!

Apart from their political subversiveness, “Socializi Kapputtzne!” were famous amongst Poland’s comedy fans for their extremely clever wit – especially how they, again and again – even against pressure from the Polish police, used the image of a ” Jaksięmasz”, and how it – on a sunday – will “Jestem gospodynią domową” – a joke that sadly would be completely lost in the translation.

Bill!

Kevin!

And later Mike!

History will never forget you!

• 5 Fred on Jul 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Who knew the Soviet Union was spending all those years of the Cold War breeding their very own Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band?

• 6 justhesh on Jul 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Sounds like an episode of the Ken P. D. Snydecast is starting up.

• 7 Jack the Autumn on Jul 1, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Tank Yu Varie Mawch!

• 8 Queen Bee on Jul 1, 2009 at 7:03 pm

And the grooming!
    It’s exquisite!

• 9 Shawn on Jul 1, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I think these guys were originally intended to be Muppets but ended up becoming real.

• 10 Matt on Jul 1, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Such an unnecessary amount of time spent on the kazoo player, and it’s purely awesome. I will return to this once I have consumed beers in the future. The bearded guy is like the Russian James Brown.

• 11 rebisaz on Jul 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I loved everything about that.

• 12 Kleenex on Jul 1, 2009 at 11:32 pm

THANK GOD they added the subtitles, otherwise I wouldn’t have understood a word of it!

• 13 valdisfox on Jul 2, 2009 at 1:46 am

You guys HAVE come a long way Bill, and the world (minus George Lucas) is better for it. I’m also really glad you gave Mike more and more dialogue in later shows (along with more height, better clothes and a lot more, shall we say, quietly attractive Danish-ness, as opposed to his old “recent gulag parolee” look). I’m also very glad Kevin got over that palsy he was suffering from at that point in his career (unless I’m mistaken and his rented tux was just really, really itchy, causing an odd, constant fidgeting that vaguely resembles dancing). And keeps those red bow ties! You never know when Senator Franken might stop by and need a spare!

• 14 Tim on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:32 am

Bill, Kevin is right- your wardrobe needs some work. I would suggest a pastel plaid for the summer.

• 15 Tim on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:33 am

Also, Look! Polish!

• 16 Earl Fando on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:45 am

Thank goodness for the Polish subtitles, or I would have been lost.

Also, Mike… shaving off the mustache was an excellent idea. All that facial hair just gets in the way of the glass/face routine anyway.

• 17 Wook on Jul 2, 2009 at 6:02 am

Bearded Kevin-guy dances like he’s covered in fire ants. The DTs are a real drag.

• 18 Sparkys Girl on Jul 2, 2009 at 7:11 am

Such talent! Gotta love the potty dance Kevin was doing. My kids should watch this so they can perfect the technique. Wouldn’t they look stylish in the bathroom lines at Six Flags!

• 19 MonkeyCheezPants on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:04 am

Is that Coulton playing the… um… golden conch shell thingy?

• 20 Mystok on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:45 am

I showed this video to the girls in the secretary pool (how they got a pool on the fourth floor I’ll never know) and the girls just swooned when the dancing man started his moves and now they want Kevin’s number so they can bear children with his groovy steps.

• 21 Nerf on Jul 2, 2009 at 11:11 am

I don’t know…I think that the dancer is Mike, conch shell guy is Kevin, and 1:57 is Connor.

• 22 BDiamond on Jul 2, 2009 at 11:53 am

Look! English subtitles!

• 23 awfulgoodmovies on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Aaah…. Thanks for the memories!

My brother went to a RiffTones ALL-NUDE gig in the 70’s(they opened for Henny Youngman and yes, Kevin danced in the nude!).

Good stuff!

• 24 awfulgoodmovies on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Uh….I meant ‘Good stuff’ to the RiffTones in the 70’s, NOT to Kevin’s nude dance.

• 25 awfulgoodmovies on Jul 2, 2009 at 1:07 pm

….And I’m NOT against Kevin’s nudity(My brother said Kevin is so hairy, that it’s hard to see his junk anyway)….It’s a free country and he can do as he likes.

• 26 BEMaven on Jul 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Who knew that Bulgarian electric razors were so musical?

And that Bill and Kevin could retract their ears right into their skulls?

• 27 Vic Arpeggio on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm

This is the greatest video ever made. I would do anything to somehow hack this into MTV’s video-stream (granted, MTV stopped showing videos somewhere around 1995, but still…)

• 28 Kaye on Jul 3, 2009 at 1:35 am

The soothing sound of your and Kevin’s voices in such glorious harmony will bring me sweet dreams tonight.

• 29 Krepta on Jul 3, 2009 at 4:03 am

Funny how after you watch these things about ten times you start to actually appreciate them on a non-ironic level.

• 30 MikeH on Jul 3, 2009 at 6:15 am

Both these guys are still around, and now popular in Poland and Hungary, about a man eating monster who gets killed by a cropduster.

• 31 Rick on Jul 3, 2009 at 10:58 am

I could have sworn this was from the old “Elk and Seal” act

• 32 Earl Fando on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:51 am

Obviously, man-eating monsters are not as agile as Cary Grant. Maybe he just didn’t have a gasoline truck handy.

• 33 Michael ("Kruge") Briel on Jul 4, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Weren’t they on tour with Annie Sprinkle at one point?

• 34 Earl Fando on Jul 6, 2009 at 5:47 am

The Polish ones made more sense, and I didn’t understand a word of those.

• 35 circus monkey on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:26 am

What’s the big deal about a bow tie? You should see my spangly shorts!

• 36 Dean on Aug 8, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I found Kevin’s hip thrusting to be offensive.

• 37 Isaiah on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Thus, when the Rifftones appeared on Ed Sullivan, Kevin was only shown from the waist up.